Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I don't understand why people have so much against GMO technology. To me it is FANTASTIC - it is way of changing the plant modifications from decades to years.

yes - if big corporations use it to sell seeds that can't naturally re-plant themselves next year, that is bad, but the tech has so many possibilities.

I find it so sad organic food can't have GMO, since I really think that is the way to produce food on a big scale without pesticides.

In summer, we get our food from a local CSA (community supported agriculture), and it is organic, but they are not certified. As rjblue said, so many of the regulations does not actually make sense for a small farm. Part of doing this is not only the organic/local aspect, but the community aspect. You go there and pick up your veggies, they have a u-pick garden with chard and herbs, and a children's veggie patch where you can pick squash and carrots with your kid. I think it is important for kids to know where the food comes from, and we don't have a garden where we can grow veggies.

so there, now I wandered completely around and off topic in a few short sentences....

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I don't understand why people have so much against GMO technology. To me it is FANTASTIC - it is way of changing the plant modifications from decades to years.
    Apart from whether the concept makes sense, GMO foods are largely controlled by large multinationals, the most well-know of which is Monsanto, which has been litigating against seed re-use as a license violation. (And I don't mean the suits against farmers who were determined to have had more Monsanto seed in their crops than can be explained through wind migration.)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Which is probably bad, but I think we should look at the concept when trying to figure out how to grow enough crops, without destroying the world with pesticides, for all of us.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For people interested in farming as a big business/Monsanto/effects of modern farming practices on the environment/US farm policy/organic vs not etc I highly recommend The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Very thorough but also very readable, and

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Well, as I've said earlier, I work in the industry, and my co-workers and I talk about Monsanto quite often.

Be afraid. Very afraid.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Be afraid. Very afraid.
    For example: a pesticide has been built into corn.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032407_Bt...cide_GMOs.html

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    For example: a pesticide has been built into corn.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032407_Bt...cide_GMOs.html
    That's not a good example. The pesticide in question is the protein from Bacillus thuringiensis- a protein that binds and plugs the digestive system of insect larvae so they starve to death (killing baby animals technically). BT is one insecticide that is allowed to be sprayed on organic produce. So you can eat a lot of it anyway, if you eat an organic diet.

I'm afraid of Monsanto because they control much too large a percentage of the global food supply, and their business practices can often be very damaging to local agriculture. And while farmers in the developed world have some means of coping, it is much worse in developing nations, in my opinion.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567