Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I hate it when I have a tasty white chocolate cupcake and someone tells me that I'm a moron because white chocolate isn't real chocolate.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    This goes both ways. I don't care if other people want to eat meat, but don't lecture me on my choices, either. And it happens all. the. time.
    This.

I'm very much a chacun ā son goût kinda girl -- I'll debate anyone who wants to as an intellectual exercise, or just for fun ... but I won't presume to lecture the carnivores, and I sure as hell won't tolerate them lecturing me.

BTW, with the discussion of hot dogs there's yet another Arrogant Worms song that fits: The Hot Dog Song.

"So have a hot dog on me, my friend.
    It's made out of animal odds and ends.
    So have a hot dog on me, my friend.
    It's the particle board of meats."

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm for everyone eating the diet they choose for themselves. Preaching vegetarians make me so I well understand how people feel about that, but for me as a vegetarian what upsets me is people who assume that because I am a vegetarian I want to tell them not to eat meat. People who simply upon hearing that I don't eat meat start on with "jokes" about meat eating and "jokes" about dying vegetables. I HATE it when the response to my not eating meat is to go on about vegetarians killing broccolli and the like. Its defensive and I know its because some vegetarians do judge and preach, but it pisses me off royally because you don't know what my view is just because you have learned that I choose not to eat meat. I'm actually not opposed to meat eating so I don't need to hear all the yuck-yuck-yuck hardy-har-hars about killing the poor vegetables nor do I need to have people going on and on about how delicious meat is ooh, yum yum wink wink har har.

Would love a peace of respect between us all.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    In general, I've found vegetarians and vegans to the be least preachy people when it comes to diet, and the least likely to comment on what other people are eating. As you said BR, it's usually everyone else who makes a big deal about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I hate it when I have a tasty white chocolate cupcake and someone tells me that I'm a moron because white chocolate isn't real chocolate.
    I said "in league with Satan," not "moron."

vCash
    My Buddhist parents made me and my parents eat vegetarian on the 1st and middle day of each month, and during certain holidays (and funerals of our relatives). The faux-meat is nice for those who want/need to eat vegetarian but like meat. I actually prefer veggie burgers over meat burgers. And veggie hot dogs over regular hot dogs. And I love tofu (granted, when deep fried which kinda defeats the whole healthy purpose, but whatever).

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    In general, I've found vegetarians and vegans to the be least preachy people when it comes to diet, and the least likely to comment on what other people are eating. As you said BR, it's usually everyone else who makes a big deal about it.
    That's interesting because I find vegans to be, on average, some of the preachiest people around. But just vegans. Vegetarians, pescaderians and whatever you call vegetarians who don't eat eggs but do eat dairy tend to run the gamete but vegans who are vegans for more than a few months to a year always seem to want to lecture me about the evils of meat and how I don't *need* to eat meat to survive or dairy or eggs either.

What particularly gets to me is when I tell them I need a minimum of 125 g of protein a day or my serum protein levels drop out of range, they say something completely moronic like "broccoli has protein". Well, then you eat 75 cups of broccoli a day, bint.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    ^ "Running the gamete" -- does this mean having a lot of sex? If so, then the non-vegan vegetarians and the quasi (non-animal eating) vegetarians really might be on to something.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Obviously my sample size is relatively small - perhaps a few dozen over the years but the number is certainly increasing, and I can't think of one who is preachy or has given me a hard time about what I eat. They can get defensive when others inevitably offer their opinions about their choices, but otherwise not. Guess you know some who are different than that

vCash
    The preachiest people are meat, protein, meat, protein people who lift weights 24/7 and hate cardio.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    IME those are only the second preachiest.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I remember working in a lab and I think they used the DNA from yeast for medical research. It was explained to me that at the DNA level the proteins are the same as for humans, so maybe some vegan picked up on that. I know they used some sort of very primitive worm.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I just get annoyed when celebs give interviews and say they are now vegans/vegetarian to 'eat more healthy'. There is nothing inherently healthy about not eating meat.

Though I personally believe that meat or animals product is part of a healthy, varied diet, there is nothing particularly unhealthy about not eating meat either, of course. Each to their own, and I respect most of the eating choices that people make, but I just can't get over the 'healthy' argument.

I find the anti leather/fur people to be the most preachiest .

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    This.

I'm very much a chacun ā son goût kinda girl -- I'll debate anyone who wants to as an intellectual exercise, or just for fun ... but I won't presume to lecture the carnivores, and I sure as hell won't tolerate them lecturing me.

BTW, with the discussion of hot dogs there's yet another Arrogant Worms song that fits: The Hot Dog Song.

"So have a hot dog on me, my friend.
    It's made out of animal odds and ends.
    So have a hot dog on me, my friend.
    It's the particle board of meats."

I haven't heard that before!

My friend in college introduced me to Arrogant Worms. Hilariously, she was from Kansas City and not Canada. Not sure where she heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    My closest vegan friend is open-minded and not preachy. But she will enthusiastically try to turn you vegan if you express even a modicum of interest in changing your diet.

But then I feel bad because when I invite her to something, I feel like I have to make sure she has something she can eat! She told me not to worry about it for my wedding, but I still felt the need to bug the caterer (who's known for meaty meat barbeque) about if any of their sides were vegan.

I don't feel bad about exposing her to all the delicious meaty meat at the reception buffet though.

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    The preachiest people are meat, protein, meat, protein people who lift weights 24/7 and hate cardio.
    HAH there's this one guy I know (yes, a crossfitter) who swears that the paleo diet will solve everybody's problems. Want to lose weight? Go paleo! Want to gain weight? Go paleo! Want to feel BETTER THAN EVER? PALEO!!!!! PUT BUTTER ON EVERYTHING!!!!!111!!!!

I'm like, "Um, how does that make any sense?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    That's interesting because I find vegans to be, on average, some of the preachiest people around. But just vegans. Vegetarians, pescaderians and whatever you call vegetarians who don't eat eggs but do eat dairy tend to run the gamete but vegans who are vegans for more than a few months to a year always seem to want to lecture me about the evils of meat and how I don't *need* to eat meat to survive or dairy or eggs either.
    I find this true of both vegetarians and vegans. They preach about health in general, not just the evils of meat. From the dangers of mammograms (radiation) to the dangers of cell phones(brain cancer). Usually the preaching is well-intended and they just want to be helpful, but it can become annoying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

HAH there's this one guy I know (yes, a crossfitter) who swears that the paleo diet will solve everybody's problems. Want to lose weight? Go paleo! Want to gain weight? Go paleo! Want to feel BETTER THAN EVER? PALEO!!!!! PUT BUTTER ON EVERYTHING!!!!!111!!!!

I'm like, "Um, how does that make any sense?"
    I have a former student who preaches Paleo all over Facebook. I had to block her from my newsfeed.

The preachiest people I know are the yoga-obsessed. My "yoga instructor" sister-in-law informed us this weekend that she will be getting additional training in the "philosophy of illness" that will help her cure cancer, heart disease and other such ailments with yoga. having a loved one in cancer treatment right now, I was really in no mood to hear her preach about how oncologists don't understand the "philosophy and psychology of tumors" and treat them wrong. I wanted to scream, actually.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I'm a vegetarian and have been for a long time. Like BR, I don't care if people eat meat in front of me. I'm happy to talk about why I'm vegetarian and my experiences with it to anyone who asks, but I certainly don't harangue people about their choices if those aren't the same as mine.

Sadly IME vegans are really preachy and rude to anyone who doesn't meet their dietary standards of holiness. The vegans in the news story I posted unfortunately seem to be more evidence of that.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm a vegetarian and have been for a long time. Like BR, I don't care if people eat meat in front of me. I'm happy to talk about why I'm vegetarian and my experiences with it to anyone who asks, but I certainly don't harangue people about their choices if those aren't the same as mine.
    Ditto.

As far as I'm concerned it should be a personal choice, not a crusade.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I have a former student who preaches Paleo all over Facebook. I had to block her from my newsfeed.

The preachiest people I know are the yoga-obsessed. My "yoga instructor" sister-in-law informed us this weekend that she will be getting additional training in the "philosophy of illness" that will help her cure cancer, heart disease and other such ailments with yoga. having a loved one in cancer treatment right now, I was really in no mood to hear her preach about how oncologists don't understand the "philosophy and psychology of tumors" and treat them wrong. I wanted to scream, actually.
    I was noting to my fiance how Randall Munroe on XKCD made a comic about his now-wife's 2-year biopsy-versary. He said that he'd move to the woods and get cured there away from all the diseases of modern society. "People's tumors go away!" "Yeah, some. A vast majority of them die. If you're okay with that at 30."

It was hard not to scream then.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Ditto.

As far as I'm concerned it should be a personal choice, not a crusade.
    To further that thought, I don't believe in labels either. If you want to eat vegan but not have to pay attention to food dyes (because some are apparently made with crushed up beetles), you should be able to do that. I don't think one should feel guilty or have their "vegan/vegetarian" card taken away because they don't follow the directions 100%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I was noting to my fiance how Randall Munroe on XKCD made a comic about his now-wife's 2-year biopsy-versary. He said that he'd move to the woods and get cured there away from all the diseases of modern society. "People's tumors go away!" "Yeah, some. A vast majority of them die. If you're okay with that at 30."

It was hard not to scream then.

To further that thought, I don't believe in labels either. If you want to eat vegan but not have to pay attention to food dyes (because some are apparently made with crushed up beetles), you should be able to do that. I don't think one should feel guilty or have their "vegan/vegetarian" card taken away because they don't follow the directions 100%.
    She also told my husband something about how more consideration needs to be given in cancer treatment to how tumors "think and feel". He said, "you mean people with tumors" and she said no, the tumors. Probably good that I wasn't in the room for that one.

She is also in a feud with a fellow yoga instructor in her town because they disagree about what makes for "pure" yoga practice and instruction as well as that the other girl thinks she is not a good enough vegan/vegetarian. So there you go.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast