Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    If you want to kill fewer animals eat a meat only diet. Grass fed only. Seriously.

Anyone who works on a farm knows that growing crops kills massive amounts of animals. Mice, shrews, voles, baby birds, fawns, toads, salamanders, snakes, and millions of insects and lower forms of animals are killed when you plow, seed, mow, cultivate, and harvest plant crops. I've seen all of those killed on my farm, which is a vegetable only operation. That happens whether you farm organic or not, big or small. Animals die. A lot of them. And you have to keep killing a few (mice, rats, squirrels) to keep your crops safe after harvest.

Now if you eat grass fed beef, you only kill one animal, and the land that feeds that animal is a nice environment for all those animals that would be killed if that ground were under cultivation.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Why would vegans care about hot dog buns when they don't eat hot dogs?

vCash
    There are vegan weiners and sausages. I had one this past summer at a BBQ. It was awful. I prefer vegan burgers.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    To me this is a good example of how people can get all worked up without knowing the facts. The comments I read on the FB page showed that most of those people had no idea what was in the buns but were absolutely convinced that the company had lied to them because someone said so on the internet. The crazy thing is, if you don't eat yeast, then you must know that any fluffy bread most likely has yeast in it and you'd know to ask "does this have yeast?" and not "is this vegan?"

What cracked me up the most were all the people who declared that they just KNEW those buns had butter and eggs in them because they got sick when they ate them! Personally, I think it's more likely the vegan "hot dog" made them sick. Those things are nasty.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I was wondering why vegans needed hot dog buns. Now I am wondering what is in a vegan hot dog.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    What is the probability that a company would include additional expensive ingredients just to feck with the vegan community? Covert butter and eggs abound on the grassy knoll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I was wondering why vegans needed hot dog buns. Now I am wondering what is in a vegan hot dog.
    I think they are mostly made from tofu. The spices and texture of the vegan wiener aim to emulate those of a real wiener. Some vegans/vegetarians like to eat 'mock meat' products for some reason. I like tofu and tofu wieners even, but tofu can't emulate meat or cheese IMO.

And there is no way to my mind that yeast can be seen as an animal product.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Soy can sometimes. There is a Chinese restaurant near me that is 100% vegetarian and their "Chicken Curry" tastes just like the real thing. They use some sort of TVP product to make the "meat". I say this as a meat-eater too.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    If I understood that article correctly, vegans thought the hot dog buns had either eggs or dairy in them; it's the owner of the restaurant who seems to have gotten confused and thought they were complaining about the yeast.

I started following a vegan diet about two years ago and read extensively on the subject, and I have NEVER seen yeast listed as something to avoid. Most of my vegan cookbooks use it in their bread recipes.
    Last edited by CynicElle; 12-12-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    If you want to kill fewer animals eat a meat only diet. Grass fed only. Seriously.

Anyone who works on a farm knows that growing crops kills massive amounts of animals. Mice, shrews, voles, baby birds, fawns, toads, salamanders, snakes, and millions of insects and lower forms of animals are killed when you plow, seed, mow, cultivate, and harvest plant crops. I've seen all of those killed on my farm, which is a vegetable only operation. That happens whether you farm organic or not, big or small. Animals die. A lot of them. And you have to keep killing a few (mice, rats, squirrels) to keep your crops safe after harvest.

Now if you eat grass fed beef, you only kill one animal, and the land that feeds that animal is a nice environment for all those animals that would be killed if that ground were under cultivation.
    This kind of gets to something I was wondering about with reference to the possible use of an animal product in sugar production and also the bees. Do some vegans really intend to try to not consume anything that bothered the life of an animal or ended it? That's clearly going to be a full-time job if it is possible at all.

I wonder about the people concerned with bees; in all seriousness, what do such people do if termites get in their house?

I'm in favor of animal welfare and think we should do what we can to improve the treatment of animals, but it seems pretty daunting if someone's goal is for no animals to be killed because of anything they do.

(I do think there are logical reasons to be vegan, even for animal rights reasons if the goal is to lessen the suffering of animals. And I know for a lot of people it is for other reasons such as diet etc.)

ETA: It does seem pretty clear that the particular situation talked about in this thread was based just on misunderstandings. Its an interesting look at human psychology that some of the vegans who ate the buns were sure they had been sickened by them when they learned they had animal products in them (though they didn't).
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Why would vegans care about hot dog buns when they don't eat hot dogs?
    Morningstar Farms makes a delicious vegan hot dog. They were off the market for two years and I was but they are back now.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I wonder about the people concerned with bees; in all seriousness, what do such people do if termites get in their house?
    Good question. We used to own some vacant land in Arkansas - sold it a few years ago to a rabid member of PETA. She promptly put in a road and built a house cutting down trees in the process. Wonder how many bugs and critters were displaced and/or killed in all that.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I let be a bald faced hornet's nest on my house and a yellow jacket nest on my lawn, but I can do that because I don't have kids or others running around. I don't really see how people could really get along with not disturbing any animals.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Some vegans/vegetarians like to eat 'mock meat' products for some reason.
    That one is a bit for me too, because if you don't want to eat meat, why eat fake meat? I'll eat a veggie burger that owns up to being a veggie burger; not something that is trying to simulate the taste/texture/look of meat, yuck.

But then again, that's what we're seeing in this thread - everyone draws their own lines about what is important or not important to them, and what they are willing to do or not do. It's too bad that in the effort to classify everyone into tidy little boxes, the extreme examples seem to rule the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ Also:

"I've heard the screams of the vegetables
    Watching their skins being peeled
    Grated and steamed with no mercy
    How do you think that feels
    Carrot juice constitutes murder
    Greenhouses prisons for slaves
    It's time to stop all this gardening
    Let's call a spade a spade"

(from "Carrot Juice is Murder" by The Arrogant Worms)
    OMG -- someone else has heard of Arrogant Worms besides my two kids and their friends. They will be attending an AG concert this coming Saturday in London Ontario -- one of their Christmas gifts.
    Crazy about sports!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I don't know, but someone brought some to our dance studio's fall cookout, and we all decided the color and texture was...disconcerting. At least. (Before people start wailing and gnashing teeth about real hot dogs, they are in fact technically a forcemeat, like any other sausage, only with a higher fat-to-meat ration to create the smoother texture, like making a mousse instead of a pate. It's also why unlike 'country' sausage they can be hard to make and case at home because you need to keep the machines very cold or the fat melts.)

I often wonder if extreme animal-rights based vegans take it to the logical extreme and refuse medical treatments that can't be shown to have never involved animal testing and contain any components that could be animal derived. If you're going to start worrying about animals that die seasonally or through attrition and predation anyway (many insects) or panicking about the side effects of harvesting techniques (maple sap)...what ARE you going to eat? Many plants die whether you harvest them or not, you are going to kill insects just walking across a lawn...do you skip doing linen laundry because you're killing bed bugs and dust mites?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Yes, people have many reasons for not eating meat, so for some its not about not liking meat and faux meaty meat products are good substitutes. Most of the faux meat products are yucky to me, but I like some of the soysage and fakin' bacon ones. I don't have a strong argument for not eating meat, its just my preference. I can't stand chicken so faux chicken products make me

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    If you don't want to eat meat because you don't like it or it makes you feel sick or for whatever reason, fine, not my problem. It's your life.
    But the moment you start preaching, there will be war.

BR, it's funny, although I'm proud to be a meat eater (love me some barbecue), there are times that vegetables are all I want to eat.
    I like soy protein when it's well done, but the thought of tofu
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    If you don't want to eat meat because you don't like it or it makes you feel sick or for whatever reason, fine, not my problem. It's your life.
    But the moment you start preaching, there will be war.
    This goes both ways. I don't care if other people want to eat meat, but don't lecture me on my choices, either. And it happens all. the. time.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    This goes both ways. I don't care if other people want to eat meat, but don't lecture me on my choices, either. And it happens all. the. time.
    This
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast