Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Are these coaches at all famous? Never heard of them. Is it gonna be trashy like that Dance Mom show?
    Not even remotely famous. None of them has ever produced any serious skater. I have lived in NJ my entire life, and have been in almost all of the rinks in northern NJ. I've never heard of any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Isn't Morozov the top figure skating coach in New Jersey?
    Morosov has been in Russia for quite a while now. However, there are lots of excellent coaches at NJ rinks, including Floyd Hall. These coaches are not USFS coaches. Best coaches in NJ, my arse!

Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Good point, Willoway. IIRC, Ice House chose NOT to participate in a show like this.
    With good reason! PSA sent out emails re: the show a year ago. Asking coaches if they knew anyone who would be interested. No serious coaches wanted to touch it. Especially since USFS sent all clubs a message that any skater who participated in the show would lose eligibility. No talented skater, in their right mind, would do that. I can't see any serious coach risking the ire of USFS by participating either. Plus, it would ruin their reputation. When that one coach said something about skaters wanting to take from coaches who produced hardware (AKA medals) I almost choked!

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    The "Platinum" level the coach mentions in the above clip is definitely an ISI Open Freestyle level. From the required elements for the Platimun test, I'd guess that we're talking about the Equivilent of USFS Juvenile or Intermediate competition level.
    I can't imagine any of those skaters being able to compete at Juvenile or Intermediate. I can't see them competing at Pre-Preliminary and doing well. But, remember ISI rules are that you cannot do any element that is a higher level than what is required at that level. USFS levels have a minimum element level. So, in ISI if axel is the required jump, you cannot do anything higher than that. In Juvenile, where axel is required, you can do triples if you're able to, with no penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    So...this is ISI skating, huh? (The programs, I mean.) I've never seen ISI kids before. Huh. Um. Well. (Please tell me this is a bad sample and they're generally better than this.)
    ISI used to be the entry level for almost all skaters. Rinks had the membership with ISI and based their group lessons on them. Awarded badges for ISI levels passed. This was prior to USFS initiating their own Learn to Skate program. Now most rinks use the USFS program. But, in the "old days", skaters stayed with ISI until around freestyle 5, which required an axel. At that point, they usually switched over to USFS, if they had ability. Before FS 5, most skaters did both, just for competition experience. But, at Juvenile, the difference in what you could do for an ISI program and what would be expected to do well in a USFS program became too far apart and was no longer viable.

These coaches do not represent ISI or NJ coaches. They are loud, obnoxious, and full of crap. They misrepresented the LP competition as Regionals. The show doesn't do anything to let the viewer in on the fact that these are recreational skaters. All this is is another opportunity to make NJ look bad and make Italian Americans look bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    In Juvenile, where axel is required, you can do triples if you're able to, with no penalty.
    No, triples have been illegal at juvenile level in the US for at least 10 years. There was some controversy among her peers who felt she was sandbagging when Julia Vlassov was practicing triples on the warmup for her juvenile competition at Junior Nationals.

They are legal in intermediate, though -- even in the short program as of last? year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    No, triples have been illegal at juvenile level in the US for at least 10 years. There was some controversy among her peers who felt she was sandbagging when Julia Vlassov was practicing triples on the warmup for her juvenile competition at Junior Nationals.

They are legal in intermediate, though -- even in the short program as of last? year.
    Ah, I stand corrected. I've been out of the jump loop for a while . Doubles are permitted, correct? The point is that even though the two levels have the same element requirement for testing, the competition structure is completely different.

vCash
    Ah, I stand corrected. I've been out of the jump loop for a while . Doubles are permitted, correct?
    Yes. The hardest jump allowed in juvenile is double axel.
    www.usfigureskating.org/New_Judging.asp?id=355

Pre-juvenile allows all doubles except double axel.
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...0Pre%20Juv.pdf

The point is that even though the two levels have the same element requirement for testing, the competition structure is completely different.
    Very true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Interesting. i used to skate with Fraser/Lukanin at the Gardens Ice House when they were there. I'm surprised she would go for this. I know of at least three rinks that turned this concept down when approached by TV guys to put this on.
    Just took a look at the sparkly competition and made-up medal ceremony - I guess she/they went for it since Fraser/Lukanin are 2 of the judges for the competition & she gives out the medals at the end.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    These coaches do not represent ISI or NJ coaches. They are loud, obnoxious, and full of crap.
    They can always run for Mayor of Newark if this skating coach gig doesn't pan out.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    They can always run for Mayor of Newark if this skating coach gig doesn't pan out.
    Do you have to infiltrate every thread with digs at Corey Booker?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Maybe she's thinking he'll beat Christie for Governor.

vCash
    If any subject deserves to be in the trash can, this one does. What a disgrace.
    Morry Stillwell

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Do you really think I'm just talking about him?

This is a Jersey thread, I can infiltrate it with whichever Jersey reference I want.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

moving right along
    vCash
    Do you really think I'm just talking about him?

This is a Jersey thread, I can infiltrate it with whichever Jersey reference I want.
    What a Smugpaw...

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    What a Smugpaw...
    Maybe *I* should get my own Jersey reality show. What do these big mouth annoying coaches have that *I* don't have?

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Maybe *I* should get my own Jersey reality show. What do these big mouth annoying coaches have that *I* don't have?
    Dorothy, Tin Man and Scarecrow together: "Courage?"

"Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    From the ISI official f.b. page:

On Dec. 12 TLC aired the pilot episode of "Jersey on Ice," a show that included footage of supposed preparation for and participation in a local ISI competition. The Ice Skating Institute did not encourage, endorse or approve this content and has no association with this reality show. The poor behavior, abusive coaching and "winning is the only thing" attitude exhibited in the show is not an accurate reflection of ISI's positive, rewarding instructional methods and inclusive, non-qualifying competition philosophy. We abhor the scandalous theme of the show and are disappointed in the negative portrayal of figure skating exhibited by the producers and participants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Good for ISI.

vCash
    Wow, just wow. Good for ISI, for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    What, you mean the ISI wasn't behind the ploy that sent the rival coach to that dinky bar where frothy pink cocktails are part of the set decoration?!

vCash
    And from the current Director of the PSA on their FB page:

"In response to the reality TV show “Jersey on Ice”, the Professional Skaters Association acknowledges the show has reflected poorly on the sport of competitive figure skating, and the coaching community. Having viewed the production of “Jersey on Ice,” the show sensationalizes and dramatizes the relationship between instructor, parent, and skater. It is not consistent with the traits that members of the PSA espouse or represent.

The Professional Skaters Association reminds members that it is their responsibility to act in a manner fitting a PSA member, including exercising the greatest care, professionalism and ethical behavior. Only through their professionalism and diligence will the coaching profession and figure skating be viewed positively."

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Oh dear. Perhaps courage is an overrated virtue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    And from the current Director of the PSA on their FB page:

"In response to the reality TV show “Jersey on Ice”, the Professional Skaters Association acknowledges the show has reflected poorly on the sport of competitive figure skating, and the coaching community. Having viewed the production of “Jersey on Ice,” the show sensationalizes and dramatizes the relationship between instructor, parent, and skater. It is not consistent with the traits that members of the PSA espouse or represent.

The Professional Skaters Association reminds members that it is their responsibility to act in a manner fitting a PSA member, including exercising the greatest care, professionalism and ethical behavior. Only through their professionalism and diligence will the coaching profession and figure skating be viewed positively."
    They should have considered that before they encouraged coaches to do this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast