View Poll Results: Who will win Mens GPF?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Javier Fernandez

11 5.50%
  • Machida

2 1.00%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

17 8.50%
  • Kozuka

3 1.50%
  • Yuzuru Hanyu

51 25.50%
  • Patrick Chan

116 58.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Who will win Mens GPF?

This one may be more predictable than the ladies, but who will win the Mens event at GPF?

vCash
    My missing first name nitpick - it's Tatsuki Machida and Takahiko Kozuka.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I voted for Chan. Have Kozuka and Machida become one-name icons like Madonna?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My missing first name nitpick - it's Tatsuki Machida and Takahiko Kozuka.
    Thanks for the info. I was not 100% sure of the first names of these two, and I did not want to write the wrong ones. I should have checked the ISU website to get the full names, but I got lazy/rushed.

vCash
    Is there any doubt?

Dai Taka is still his great and charming self, and he's pulling out some of his quads, but his programs are not as fantastico (and the judges refused to reward him with great programs, over Chan too often last season -- WTT was just a consolation prize).

I enjoy Fernandez' sp very much, and altho' he makes a cute Chaplin, his fp doesn't do much for me. Fernandez, IMO, needs to develop a bit more in confidence and presentation skills, but his quads, when landed are wondrous and fabulamente!

Sacre bleu in a similar way re Hanyu when he's on. But Hanyu's sp, while he has amazing jumps and he performs it extremely well, I find his sp a bit annoying because to me he's trying to copy Dai's styling in Blues for Klook. Forget about the fact, the judges are "quad fodder" when it comes to Mr. Hanyu -- he deserves high scores, but 95 even in a well-executed sp is ridiculous for a skater who is still developing, and especially for one who clearly lacks stamina, endurance and focus in his free programs.

Machida and Mura are quite skilled and interesting skaters to watch (both great jumpers, but I don't see that Machida has a proven quad). IMHO both of them are a bit over-rated and over-scored on GP circuit.

Love me some Kozuka, but his programs this season, while good, do not draw me in. Not much excitement -- Kozuka the person seems lost in the maze of music and jumps.

Never say die Chan with his exquisite and unbeatable SS combined with his exploration of true artistry will fell the judges, irregardless of whether Chan "fells" himself in either program. But I do indeed find PC more endearing this season with his new programs, and especially when he's not so heavily over-scored when he doesn't skate well.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    I voted for Patrick Chan but I have the feeling Hanyu will win it.

vCash
    This is too hard to predict.

vCash
    for me between patrick and yuzuru. i think patrick has the edge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    the judges are "quad fodder" when it comes to Mr. Hanyu -- he deserves high scores, but 95 even in a well-executed sp is ridiculous for a skater who is still developing, and especially for one who clearly lacks stamina, endurance and focus in his free programs.
    I agree about the 'developing', but I don't see how his SP marks should be affected by how he might skate his free program.

I'm going to vote for Chan too but I'm not so sure, it's too hard.

vCash
    Surprised Chan is running away with this poll even after a mediocre season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Chan usually struggles early in the season, but skates well at GPF and continues to skate well all the way through worlds.

I don't see this season as any different. I don't think Hanyu is ready to challenge him for the title yet. Takahashi has to be perfect to even have a chance to beat Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Chan usually struggles early in the season, but skates well at GPF and continues to skate well all the way through worlds.

I don't see this season as any different. I don't think Hanyu is ready to challenge him for the title yet. Takahashi has to be perfect to even have a chance to beat Chan.
    Hanyu can outscore even a good Chan on TES, let alone one with mistakes (which I fully expect he is likely to make), but Hanyu needs to overcome his own issue with losing energy and making mistakes late in the LP. He doesnt get the PCS of Chan yet, so he needs to capatilize on all his potential TES.

Takahashi definitely needs to be perfect to even have a hope against Chan, and then Chan to make a couple mistakes (atleast). The judges prefer Chan on both TES and PCS to Takahashi.

Fernandez probably would need Chan to bomb ala Skate Canada to beat him. He would also need his 3 quads again. He should work on improving his GOE and PCS, since while I like seeing someone trying 3 quads again, he is going to end up injured before too long if he is required to do that just to be competitive with the top skaters.

The remaining 2 cant beat Chan even if Chan sits on the ice for the whole program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Is there any doubt?

Dai Taka is still his great and charming self, and he's pulling out some of his quads, but his programs are not as fantastico (and the judges refused to reward him with great programs, over Chan too often last season -- WTT was just a consolation prize).

I enjoy Fernandez' sp very much, and altho' he makes a cute Chaplin, his fp doesn't do much for me. Fernandez, IMO, needs to develop a bit more in confidence and presentation skills, but his quads, when landed are wondrous and fabulamente!

Sacre bleu in a similar way re Hanyu when he's on. But Hanyu's sp, while he has amazing jumps and he performs it extremely well, I find his sp a bit annoying because to me he's trying to copy Dai's styling in Blues for Klook. Forget about the fact, the judges are "quad fodder" when it comes to Mr. Hanyu -- he deserves high scores, but 95 even in a well-executed sp is ridiculous for a skater who is still developing, and especially for one who clearly lacks stamina, endurance and focus in his free programs.

Machida and Mura are quite skilled and interesting skaters to watch (both great jumpers, but I don't see that Machida has a proven quad). IMHO both of them are a bit over-rated and over-scored on GP circuit.

Love me some Kozuka, but his programs this season, while good, do not draw me in. Not much excitement -- Kozuka the person seems lost in the maze of music and jumps.

Never say die Chan with his exquisite and unbeatable SS combined with his exploration of true artistry will fell the judges, irregardless of whether Chan "fells" himself in either program. But I do indeed find PC more endearing this season with his new programs, and especially when he's not so heavily over-scored when he doesn't skate well.
    Chan was never over-scored as some haters like to believe. If Dai had skated two good programs last year, he would have won. But he didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Chan was never over-scored
    This is so funny it would make a great signature. Thanks.

vCash
    Not sure what you mean a mediocre season. First, the season just started. Second, he wasn't perfect at CoR, but overall, his SP and LP are still the best among all other competitions.

vCash
    This is so funny it would make a great signature. Thanks.
    Of course it's funny for the Chan bashers. But if you want to cry about it, then you should look at all skaters.

vCash
    Hanyu can outscore even a good Chan on TES, let alone one with mistakes (which I fully expect he is likely to make), but Hanyu needs to overcome his own issue with losing energy and making mistakes late in the LP. He doesnt get the PCS of Chan yet, so he needs to capatilize on all his potential TES.
    Hanyu's SP score was a joke.

Takahashi definitely needs to be perfect to even have a hope against Chan, and then Chan to make a couple mistakes (atleast). The judges prefer Chan on both TES and PCS to Takahashi.
    Chan scores better on both TES and PCS because he's better on both.

The remaining 2 cant beat Chan even if Chan sits on the ice for the whole program.
    Talking about funny posts, nobody can top you. You seem to only believe Chan's the only one making mistakes. Sure, Chan's not perfect, yet, so far this season, SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. It's very convenience for you to seem to forget other skaters that have made loads of mistakes as well. Oh and just in case you don't remember, it was Hanyu who "sat" on the ice.

vCash
    I dunno. Chan has the PCS edge, and a clean Chan will get GOEs. Actually, Chan get 10.08 from GOE in his World 2011 SP. Hanyu's record breaking SPs have scored less than 10 points of GOE each time - his WRs come from the 10% bonus (which Chan didn't have).

Kozuka beat Chan's LP at the Japan Open. But that Kozuka still lost on PCS indicates where the judges mindset exists.

vCash
    I voted for Dai. He is my favorite skater and I want him to win!
    Sending my positive vibes and good cheer to Dai......

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I should have checked the ISU website to get the full names, but I got lazy/rushed.
    It's actually easier than that. Just do a simply google search. I searched "figure skater hanyu" and his full name came up in the first result. I did a google search for "german pairs figure skating" and "Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy" appear in the fifth result. Just cut and paste. (I learned to do this because there are so many names I can't spell without help! Plus I loathe the T & Y / B & Q / S & F threads with a passion!!)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast