View Poll Results: Post the Grand Prix Series, does Patrick Chan need a primary technical coach?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

103 76.30%
  • No

11 8.15%
  • Undecided. See me after Nationals.

21 15.56%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash

Post the Grand Prix Series, does Patrick Chan need a primary technical coach?

Post the Grand Prix Series, does Patrick Chan need a primary technical coach?

. . . For fun, here is baby Paddy . . .

2006 Nationals SP Patrick Chan (TSN)

vCash
    I don't think he needs a technical coach. He has skated the way he has been skating the last two years. It's just that others have overtaken him to some extent, but they are not so far ahead that he needs to panic. He had just one major mistake (fall) in his LP; the other one on the 3A was less serious. About him tagging on a jump after his second quad- it's just something he needed to learn. I am sure he will not make that mistake again.

vCash
    I just feel like Patrick lacks the structure, coaching-wise, he seemed to have in the past. Krall is an excellent coach, and I'm sorry she's no longer Patrick's.

vCash
    Absolutely not. So many people here put way too much emphasis on needing a coach. It's not like he has horrible technique now or anything.

vCash
    I recognize he often makes some mistakes in one program. On the other hand, he always fixed his technique by Worlds. I'm sure he will be in the best shape in London.

vCash
    I don't know.. not a skater. But as a fan, I will feel more comfortable and assured if he gets at least a p/t technical coach, not necessarily primary coach. Does he has one now?

For more fun, here's 14yo Patrick at 2005 Jr Nationals FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzDOZx9WcV0
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Patrick is and will be just fine.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    On the bright side, he landed both 3axels at GPF and they were both wonderful!

vCash
    I think Patrick Chan is "entitled" to make his own decisions. Besides, it's not as if Patrick didn't make technical mistakes in his programs when Christy Krall was his coach. And, in any case, there is someone with technical expertise on his team right now.

But, perhaps one of the poll options might be: Should Chan choose a more experienced coach for the Olympic season while keeping Kathy Johnson as his dance/ artistic coach and mentor?

Another possible question:

Why do the judges show more love to Hanyu than to Chan this season?

vCash
    I believe that Patricks issue is between his ears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I just feel like Patrick lacks the structure, coaching-wise, he seemed to have in the past. Krall is an excellent coach, and I'm sorry she's no longer Patrick's.
    I agree. Kristy is a disciplinarian and I don't think that was working for him. He said he wanted to "take more control" of his training. Read that as "I want to train and skate how and when I want".

I'm not a fan of this. I'm a believer in structure. Patrick doesn't need to be taught how to skate or jump but he, like anyone, would need regular tweaking. Just like in golf, for example, athletes develop bad habits in their technique regularly and this must be kept in line. Who's doing that for him now?

I think he needs technical maintenance and a disciplined approach to training. Yes, there's a "between the ears" factor probably because he knows he's being watched closely by fans and the federation; he's feeling pressure to show his new approach is working. But you can bet if he finishes 3rd or lower in London Skate Canada will be all over him to go back to more traditional coaching methods.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Why do the judges show more love to Hanyu than to Chan this season?
    Of course, it is because they want Patrick to add a Beillmann and this is how they give him the message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    But you can bet if he finishes 3rd or lower in London Skate Canada will be all over him to go back to more traditional coaching methods.
    That will NEVER happen, if only because the men below Chan are so very, very far below him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Of course, it is because they want Patrick to add a Beillmann and this is how they give him the message.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Or maybe Patrick needs his own version of a lucky Pooh bear!

Anyways, I doubt Patrick is going back to Krall, nor will he dump Kathy Johnson. Brian Orser is taken ... or should I say already has his hands full with Fernandez and Hanyu. Patrick's not going to go to Frank Carroll. Really, at this stage of Patrick's career, who else is there? ... Toller Cranston has been out of the scene for so many years, he's not the kind of coach Patrick would need I don't think. And once again, Patrick's not going to dump Kathy Johnson. How exactly does he describe her role in his training process? Who was Buttle's former coach? Are there good Canadian technical coaches Patrick might consider? I think he already is getting technical advice from someone.

Also, reminder: Patrick began to have technical miscues when he was still working with Christy Krall. So, why does everyone think it's a technical problem that needs to be addressed? It could be an approach to training problem, as someone already mentioned.

IMHO, it's more that incorporating the quad consistently (even if it has been mastered) is a difficult problem for all the top men. It's a lot more difficult than the sport is noticing or acknowledging. Patrick is not the only one with technical inconsistencies this season and past seasons (and the 3-axel has never been an easy or consistent jump for him). The main difference, IMO, is that the judges were kinder to Patrick when he made mistakes the past two seasons, and I think he got very used to that benevolence, which frankly was upended in Nice.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 12-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    As a fan, it would be great if Patrick has a technical coach, but I believe Patrick knows himself more than we know, and he will make a wise decision as he did before

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I agree. Kristy is a disciplinarian and I don't think that was working for him. He said he wanted to "take more control" of his training. Read that as "I want to train and skate how and when I want".

I'm not a fan of this. I'm a believer in structure. Patrick doesn't need to be taught how to skate or jump but he, like anyone, would need regular tweaking. Just like in golf, for example, athletes develop bad habits in their technique regularly and this must be kept in line. Who's doing that for him now?

I think he needs technical maintenance and a disciplined approach to training. Yes, there's a "between the ears" factor probably because he knows he's being watched closely by fans and the federation; he's feeling pressure to show his new approach is working. But you can bet if he finishes 3rd or lower in London Skate Canada will be all over him to go back to more traditional coaching methods.
    Patrick is an adult. I think only he knows what works for him- a structured approach or a more flexible approach. I was surprised when he decided to leave Krall, but apparently he was not happy with her approach. I don't see anything wrong in him trying a different style of coaching. This is not the Olympic year, and there is enough time to make some adjustments. I don't believe those would include going back to Krall though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I was surprised when he decided to leave Krall, but apparently he was not happy with her approach. I don't see anything wrong in him trying a different style of coaching. This is not the Olympic year, and there is enough time to make some adjustments. I don't believe those would include going back to Krall though.
    Sigh! He didn't leave Krall, Krall decided to leave because she's not happy with Patrick's intention to focus more on artistry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I don't know.. not a skater. But as a fan, I will feel more comfortable and assured if he gets at least a p/t technical coach, not necessarily primary coach. Does he has one now?

For more fun, here's 14yo Patrick at 2005 Jr Nationals FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzDOZx9WcV0
    Oh wow, I never knew he made so many technique changes since then!

vCash
    ^ I don't know what you are talking about. The program was a splat fest for sure but the basic skating was the same and he achieved somethings by 14 that some Olympic Champions could not replicate. I really liked his jump entrances, even if they ultimately resulted in a fall.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast