Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

vCash
    Watching the 4CC free dance again, I really noticed how perfectly Meryl & Charlie's leg lines match this year. I love how that program is growing.

vCash
    And I hope that Meryl and Charlie really dig into 50s music, because there was so much bubbly dance music that only older people listened to at the time, with big band gone out of fashion and cool jazz all the rage.
    OMG, to me 50's music was about the worse decade, apart from the disco era. I mean, it is the 50s that killed big band .

I think of quickstep as being a dance from an earlier era, like the 1930s. When I heard the CD pattern tempo would be quick step, the dance I thought of was their flapper one. (You know, the one they never seemed to get thru without messing up somewhere.)

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    OMG, to me 50's music was about the worse decade, apart from the disco era. I mean, it is the 50s that killed big band .

I think of quickstep as being a dance from an earlier era, like the 1930s. When I heard the CD pattern tempo would be quick step, the dance I thought of was their flapper one. (You know, the one they never seemed to get thru without messing up somewhere.)
    Technically the 40s killed big band. Well, the end of the war. And the music strike. Blame those darn beboppers! Although I could never blame Bird, Dizzy or Monk for anything. I'm still holding out for someone to choose Salt Peanuts for something one day but uh... maybe exhibition only. But the 50s gave us Brubeck and Chet Baker and oh sweet Chet Baker is made of honey. We also got early Miles Davis, Art Blakey and Sonny Rollins. And it led us right into the golden age of jazz, but that stuff ain't quickstep.

I tried to find examples of the following songs on the internet but the internet didn't deliver for everything. Alas.

I hesitate when dancers do things from the 30s because they tend to rehash I've Got Rhythm and Sing Sing Sing. I'd love more Django, but he doesn't really suit the Finnstep even if the rhythm is right. He's got too much of an edge. I'd kill for someone to pick something Sidney Bechet ('I've Found a New Baby', 'Muskrat Ramble', 'Copenhagen', 'Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None of My Jelly Roll', 'All of Me', for a slow moment).

Actually, if they dug into the 20s that would be great, too. Then they could do the 20s theme again and Charlie could stay on his feet (or maybe they never want to see the 1920s again). 'Make Believe' (with some nice early wee Bing Crosby and the Rhythm Boys), 'Ain't Misbehavin', 'Oh, You Have No Idea!', 'Sweet and Lowdown', 'From Monday On' (which spoofs the change in music from ragtime to jazz--if a better recording exists anywhere), 'That's My Weakness Now' (which, if they use a version sung by a woman, features a boy with curly hair~), the early recordings of 'What'll I Do' (which is a waltz, unfortunately) and 'Bye Bye Blackbird' are more upbeat than later recordings. Or there's 'My Blue Heaven'. Charlie Johnson's recording of 'The Boy in the Boat' might skirt on too bluesy but it's great. Kind of quirky. Stopping now or I'll never stop.

Although, if they must do swing, I'm hoping Meryl and Charlie will do this, ah, lift.

Maybe only off ice. Or into a foam pit. I think Meryl said she's not into decapitation.

Then again, since quickstep is considered a ballroom dance now, where Lindy hop/Charleston are not, West Coast swing might be a more appropriate mash up with the Finnstep footwork. West Coast swing is the sparkling Hollywood champagne version of swing and the Finnstep is definitely sparkling champagne. The best direction might really be a movie musical, musical or movie soundtrack from the 30s/40s/50s. Then they can really embrace a character and a story arc and avoid the whole medley pitfall.

But for Charlie, a Charleston showdown where people did not entirely stay on their feet (even if it was intentional).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvnn8WRTQY

vCash
    I'm hoping that DWTS will pick them up after the Olympics and have them competing against each other. I think that would be fun!

vCash
    I did some homework and the quickstep was invented in the 1920s as a lighter version of the foxtrot. It is supposed to be frothy. Ragtime era jazz would be appropriate but not that smooth style 50s jazz. Could they really annoy Tracy Wilson by choosing Scott Joplin?

The ISU specifies 2/4 time with 104 beats per minute (52 measures).

vCash
    I should be apologizing for how nuts I go over vernacular jazz dance and jazz music history but they are my nerd passions (I competed in Lindy hop, which makes it that much worse).

They could go Vernon and Irene Castle. Vintage ballroom, rather than smooth, modern ballroom. Their heyday was earlier than the quickstep but not by much, and their fame lingered. They also popularized the foxtrot and the Castle Walk is similar to the feeling of the Finnstep, too. Incidentally, Fred and Ginger played them in the late 30s. Perhaps there's some movie music to steal. Vintage ballroom means Meryl and Charlie could use some WWI-era early jazz. Vernon and Irene's bandleader was the amazing James Reese Europe. There are some recordings by his band but he was killed in 1919, so there might not be many and I don't know what the quality is.

This could mean white tie for Charlie, though. It would definitely mean a suit. The poor darling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I'm hoping that DWTS will pick them up after the Olympics and have them competing against each other. I think that would be fun!
    YES, this is what I've thought every since Evan on DWTS.

vCash
    Our wishes came true, thanks to Tanith.

DJ is sporting that quite well.

vCash
    Watching the progression of the FD from Skate America through 4CC, I keep coming back to the spin and rotational lift. The amount of control and skill they demonstrate is so impressive.

What do you think they need to do to achieve level 4 in the circular steps? I can't spot the problem.

vCash
    Brilliant idea! I want an all-skater version of DWTS!

vCash
    Seriously! I would actually watch DWTS if they were on it. I know Meryl (or Charlie) said they aren't qualified due to their dancing skillz, but I wish an exception could be made. I don't even know if they'd go for it but I wish they could at least appear on it!

And it looks like Meryl and Charlie were up to something this weekend!

@tankboy NBD, just me hanging with @Meryl_Davis & @CharlieaWhite. Such incredibly great people. (cl related) http://t.co/c6MfZR0V

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    @tankboy NBD, just me hanging with @Meryl_Davis & @CharlieaWhite. Such incredibly great people. (cl related) http://t.co/c6MfZR0V
    I wonder if he filmed M&C's Kelloggs promo. From his blog, it sounds like he was with a skier in CO shortly before his trip to Detroit, and he's a Creative Director.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    I think that's a great idea as well! Would love to see them compete against each other on DWTS- that would be so much fun.

Though one thought occurs to me- can you participate in DWTS if you've had ballroom dance training? Is that an unfair advantage? I know Kristi Y back in the day had a great advantage because she had dance training and also pair partnering but no real ballroom dance training. Have Meryl and Charlie had enough ballroom dance training that it would be too much of an advantage? I know they were choreographed and taught by a ballroom dancer for their Latin SD- does that count?

I remember I saw a youtube video somewhere of Ben Agosto trying out some moves with Anna Trebunskaya of DWTS fame when she was training with Evan. Now, he would have been a riot on DWTS.

vCash
    Ben would have been a hoot.

Heck he would still be a hoot.

They've had people with dance training on dwts before-it depends on who the show organizers want; it's not like it's the Olympics or something.

vCash
    Interesting 4CC ice dance review wrap-up by Dave and Jenny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt3n8XqFVIc

vCash
    They certainly are doing a lot of speculating there.

BTW, I was (and still am) looking for a really good HD video of 4CC FD...but what I found was a really good no commentary HD video of their Skate America Short Dance...this is still my favorite SD performance of the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI3DBfopgc

vCash
    Meryl and Charlie's Team Kellogg profile:http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/TeamUSA.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Thanks for the link. I ended up watching a lot of their videos. They articulate their point of view well.

Jenny is pretty, knowledgeable and articulate. Why does IN stick us with Tonia?

vCash
    I'm glad to see the Kellogg's profile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

I think it's interesting that they place most of the connection troubles on Meryl, cause I think we tend to think of it as something Charlie isn't projecting. I do agree that Meryl is a bit more beautiful and understated, which kind of sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I know what they mean.

I disagree with the personal life bit. Part of what was hard to watch about the Hubbells is that they both portrayed sexy very well...but were siblings. I don't think you have to have anything happening in your personal life to come of that way on the ice. I think it comes down to being more of an introvert versus an exhibitionist. It's no shock some of the best stage actors and dancers are absolute and complete hams. I think dating in your personal is reflected more in the stability of your performance than necessarily in the intensity and you don't see that in V/M the way you see that with other teams who are.

I wonder if the choreography problems in their program have to do with how much influence each team is choosing to have in it, now that they are top teams and can.

I absolutely agree about the Shibutanis, though I will say I think the uncertainty of them making the Olympic team has as much to do with the them falling as it does with the amount of ice dance talent we have in our country and it's exciting, especially considering 2 out of 3 of those teams are new. I feel like that's the way good competition should be. All three slots shouldn't be set years in advance. Some consistency reflects accurate judging, but too much consistency reflects either weak competition or fixed judging. I'm stoked that our 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams would all probably be at least the 2nd place team in other countries. It's puts us in a really good spot when Meryl and Charlie retire.

Overall I like them a lot. Thank you for introducing me to their channel!
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 02-21-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast