Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Oh I was just making a joke about it, I hope that when we get to the next thread, the title will involve something about a second world title

I've noticed the backhanded comments have gotten really bad since D/W have started beating a healthy V/M on a regular basis. I used to enjoy reading P.J's blogs, but her bias has gotten out of hand. She decalred Carmen a masterpiece before she had even seen it and did the same things with their 2010-2011 programs.

I've noticed that she likes to ignore certain events in a competition. She declared Kevin Reynolds a contender because he won 4cc, completely ignoring the fac that better skaters had mistakes, and had they skated clean, he probably wouldn't have been on the podium. Same with Katelyn Osmond. She picked her to win 4cc, ignoring the fact that the golds she won this past season were thanks to mistakes from better skaters. And showing just how biased she really is. she said said she picked Katelyn based on three previous strong outings, yet D/W, who have much better outings than V/M this season, wasn't her pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Awww

vCash

vCash
    It just makes all of them, the commentators who do this, seem like liars. They're all for yay the rivalry and yay it pushes V/M to be better...as long as they're not actual competition. If you believe deep down that V/M should win always, as long as they skate clean, then you don't actually respect D/W ability. It's all for show. It's that simple. No competitor, no matter how amazing, is unbeatable. It's unrealistic.

There is this Canadian commentator, I don't know who she is or if she's the same person, but she keeps making the same comment every competition on the lifts. She gets down on M/C for not taking risks and not being new in their lifts and I'm just like WTF. Yes they reused a lift this year, but how you ignore the gorgeousness of that first lift is beyond me, nor is every lift position in the V/M program new either. It's so grating because it's an out and out lie. It's as if she said Meryl's dress was blue when it's not. The guy who was commenting with her stayed quiet on it. It's like she's run out of subjective things to criticize.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I can't wait to see how much more wonderful fiction we're going to get over the next year. Should be fun! Let us remember that Charlie's wizard hair protects them from this nonsense.

However, if Tanith and Charlie aren't careful, Meryl is going to steal DJ into the night. And I wouldn't blame her.

vCash
    DJ definitely needs to be promoted to team D/W mascot

vCash
    I move that DJ should feature in the next thread title...somehow.

vCash
    PJ politik for V-M. DJ politik for D-W. All equal now

vCash
    I feel like there's a good Full House joke somewhere in all of this but I can't think of it.

vCash
    In this case, she was. I think she has a valid point about the scoring of the choreography (and transitions) with respect to not only V&M but also P&B,
    PJ Kwong is a long time Skate Canada sycophant and she gets worse every year. It is kind of her job to pimp Canadian skating to Canadian audiences, so you expect a certain amount of bias. I mean every broadcaster is a homer, (except Tara and Johnny Weir who didn't get the memo yet) but you do at least expect them to still be rational. Kwong plunges off the deep end so regularly she has become a total joke IMO.

Unlike you, I don't agree about the choreo mark. I think V/M Carmen is surely very good in parts, but the program seems to kind of meander a bit I don't think uses the music as well as it could. I mean, we have seen a lot of Carmen's over the years, and I think we have seen it used better. IMO, NDdP is more complete and uses the music to better effect.
    Last edited by Susan M; 02-16-2013 at 08:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post

Unlike you, I don't agree about the choreo mark. I think V/M Carmen is surely very good in parts, but the program seems to kind of meander a bit I don't think uses the music as well as it could. I mean, we have seen a lot of Carmen's over the years, and I think we have seen it used better. IMO, NDdP is more complete and uses the music to better effect.
    oops-I meant to say 'choreography (in terms of transitions)'. imo, V&M, D&W, and P&B all have programs that are well constructed with a strong sense of purpose, a clear concept, etc.

vCash
    I'm not gonna discuss PJ's FD opinion again, as most of it has been said already, but hell, how can she say the teams have equally superb short dances? If she's so sure of Carmen's superiority over ND, she should at least try and be objective and admit D/W's SD kicks V/M's SD's ass this year.

I can take people stating that Carmen is a more innovative or complex FD in terms of choreography, but I absolutely cannot take people stating their SDs are equally great. They are not.

I am totally protective over Meryl and Charlie's SD this year, I fell for it the very first time I saw it and for me it's the best SD/OD they've had except the Indian one. Tessa and Scott's "waltz pretending to be polka" has just nothing on it.

vCash
    Charlie tweeted that they're doing a photoshoot for Kellogs today! Can't wait to see the photos!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Marina Zoueva's interview (link posted by Fort in the V&M thread):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_C9tROzaCk

Source (geo-blocked outside of Canada): http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/ic...ehindthescenes

Was the new website for the Canton rink posted earlier? Tanith Belbin recently tweeted the link: http://internationalskatingacademy.com/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The new website looks great. I love the choice of pictures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Charlie tweeted that they're doing a photoshoot for Kellogs today! Can't wait to see the photos!
    I'm glad to see skaters in the USA getting some kind of corporate support again.

http://internationalskatingacademy.com/about/facility/

I like the above picture from the website.

vCash
    Here is one from today's shoot from their FB site. I'm not seeing any cereal in the vicinity.

vCash
    I am totally protective over Meryl and Charlie's SD this year, I fell for it the very first time I saw it and for me it's the best SD/OD they've had except the Indian one.
    As a dance, I think it is the most successful since creation of the short dance concept. It is one of the very few that felt like a single, integrated dance rather than two or three sections run together. I have a feeling this is the effect the ISU was trying to achieve with the SD concept, since their judging guidance seems to stress the integration aspect (esp for the CD pattern).

Maybe there is something to be said for choosing music from one work rather than splicing together unrelated pieces of music.

vCash
    For those who read the Lois Elfman/Byalikov articles on Ice Network, Elfman has added the following info:

Lois Elfman · Top Commenter · Barnard College

The video of Davis & White came from the U.S. Championships. The video of Virtue & Moir came from the Canadian Championships (I gave him the links prior to 4C). The Russian and Italian teams were their free dances from the European Championships. So for each it was the most recent free dance.
    So it would be this clip, I guess.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9M4E8eD8s
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 02-16-2013 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    For those who read the Lois Elfman/Byalikov articles on Ice Network, Elfman has added the following info:

So it would be this clip, I guess.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9M4E8eD8s
    People have been giving her quite a lot of grief for his opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    As a dance, I think it is the most successful since creation of the short dance concept. It is one of the very few that felt like a single, integrated dance rather than two or three sections run together. I have a feeling this is the effect the ISU was trying to achieve with the SD concept, since their judging guidance seems to stress the integration aspect (esp for the CD pattern).

Maybe there is something to be said for choosing music from one work rather than splicing together unrelated pieces of music.
    I completely agree, especially about the music. My favorite SDs of this season have been from a single source and choreographed very cohesively (for another example, Anna and Luca's). But Meryl and Charlie's should be held up as an example of what the SD can be if teams don't simply go for as many of the rhythms as possible by slapping a bunch of music together. Or using every song from the source. All of these medley short dances (which are basically 90% of them) drive me a little crazy.

This has had me thinking about next year's Finnstep, which, musically, makes me nervous. I believe the rhythms are quickstep, foxtrot, and swing, though I'm only going from memory. The OD the step came from is just FANTASTIC. The potential for a memorable SD is totally there. I hope more teams learn from Giselle and that next year's SD is stronger across the board. I sort of feel like this year did produce more gems than previous years, and the clunkers really came with all of the country medleys.

And I hope that Meryl and Charlie really dig into 50s music, because there was so much bubbly dance music that only older people listened to at the time, with big band gone out of fashion and cool jazz all the rage. It's so them, what with their ability to emote the happiest, most ballroomiest joy on the ice. They could take advantage of Charlie's awesome sense of humor and do something with an edge of satire. They had such an awesome and memorable OD in 2010; it would be great to see an awesome and memorable SD in 2014.

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast