Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I'm surprised no one told him the reason behind the lack of extension in that lift.
    ??????
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Clearly, they have achieved this year's goal of improving emotional connection

Meanwhile PJ Kwong thinks they are Kraft Cheese slices

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...or-worlds.html

Did anyone ever compare Baryshnikov to cheese of any sort???

Did no one ever tell PJ that old cheese...smells....and that all kinds of cheese are ....cheesy? This is a particularly inapt comparison for either team.
    Cheese? Really? Oh P.J., what were you thinking! If you wanted to describe in terms of cheese, perhaps a delightful brie for one and a smooth Boursin for the other. Better to say apples and oranges, maybe? Meryl and Charlie look so much more fluid and connected to me this year. Years ago, I remember Tracey Wilson saying that she found magic in V/M's skating and that it was there some of the time with D/W (sorry, I don't recall the exact quote). I think that D/W have it this year, completely (and I think, reading between Tracey's lines, that she sees it too). Just my feeling, I'm no expert. I do love P.J. but I think she was off on this one.
    From a Canadian who adores both teams!

vCash
    American cheese? Sour grapes.

vCash

Did no one ever tell PJ that old cheese...smells....and that all kinds of cheese are ....cheesy? This is a particularly inapt comparison for either team.
    The difference between the textures of the two cheeses: cheddar is hard and slightly crumbly, american is smooth and creamy. So it all depends on what characteristic you are looking for??. The blogger must have been hungry while watching ice dance. The whine went well with it.
    Last edited by mollymgr; 02-15-2013 at 12:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Cheese? Really? Oh P.J., what were you thinking! If you wanted to describe in terms of cheese, perhaps a delightful brie for one and a smooth Boursin for the other. Better to say apples and oranges, maybe? Meryl and Charlie look so much more fluid and connected to me this year. Years ago, I remember Tracey Wilson saying that she found magic in V/M's skating and that it was there some of the time with D/W (sorry, I don't recall the exact quote). I think that D/W have it this year, completely (and I think, reading between Tracey's lines, that she sees it too). Just my feeling, I'm no expert. I do love P.J. but I think she was off on this one.
    From a Canadian who adores both teams!
    Nice post. I used to enjoy listening to PJ, thinking she was rather fair-minded. But she's clearly chosen a side and its a shame she feels the need to be disparaging. I won't be listening or reading her comments anymore. Meryl and Charlie's continuing improvement and the best work ethic in the biz will always show to me (and their many fans) that their success is hard-earned and deserves to be celebrated. They have elevated American ice dance to a tremendous level and have secured their place in American ice dance history and indeed the whole of ice dance history. Try to bring them down...it just doesn't work! They have way more integrity than to pay any attention to those kind of remarks. I admire them for paying attention to the criticisms that were put out and striving to improve on those things. They've been doing that for years and it has paid off. I'm so grateful for the years of enjoyment I've had watching them skate and look forward to what comes ahead.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    ??????
    Meryl can't do a full split position in that lift because they already have a lift with a split position (the rotational one from DF). Two lifts with a split position would be illegal.

I'd like to say a big to PJ. I hope I don't see her in London (and I pray her big mouth won't be commentating in the arena like it was at Skate Canada) because I'll have to educate her on why Notre Dame has captivated not only the judges but audiences around the world.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    I agree. I don't think I can read another PJ article now knowing how biased (and caddy) she is. What ever happened to objective, balanced journalism? Sure, everyone has a preference but couldn't she at least feign more professionalism in her writing? I'm embarrassed for her.

vCash
    Who is PJ Kwong? I was watching older D/W dances and this year's dance. They are fast and ethereal as always but they do seem to be face to face more and making plenty of eye contact. The emotional connection is there. I happen to enjoy both teams and hope D/W and V/M have excellent performances at Worlds. It is a joy to watch them.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    PJ has really disappointed me this season. I would say she's even been a bit nasty. Once they decided Carmen was unbeatable (this happened before Tessa and Scott even debuted it!), it was as though anything Meryl and Charlie did, even if it was to reinterpret a Merce Cunningham/John Cage collaboration, would be "pedestrian".

I don't know. Even Kurt Browning made really disparaging remarks this season. And then he made a lot of people angry with the Elvis Stojko remark not long after his blog post, if I am remembering correctly. It's not enough just to praise the ones you like, I guess. They have to tear down the other team at the same time. I find it irritating, being TOLD that my taste is cheap or that Meryl and Charlie are boring or lesser as a fact. I can't read articles I usually want to!

Frankly, I would rather my favorites beat their equal, not their lesser. I would rather my favorites have to fight for their position because the challenger is equal to them. That would make wins sweeter. This rivalry is great. I wish they could accept it was a rivalry between equals. Because, frankly, they really are on a level playing field now, with Meryl and Charlie having conquered their weaknesses so well. It truly does come down to taste and nothing else.

vCash
    P.J has said all season long that ND is beatable, yet it hasn't been, so that, coupled with the fact that only one of her 4cc predictions came true, has apparently made her grumpy. That article is just full of backhanded comments. I don't mind criticism or someone saying that they don't understand how someone received the score they did, but that was completely uncalled for.

Or maybe we could all look at it this way; she compared Carmen to old cheese, so she inadvertently said it stinks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Who is PJ Kwong? I was watching older D/W dances and this year's dance. They are fast and ethereal as always but they do seem to be face to face more and making plenty of eye contact. The emotional connection is there. I happen to enjoy both teams and hope D/W and V/M have excellent performances at Worlds. It is a joy to watch them.
    PJ Kwong is a Canadian commentator. And she does interviews and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Meryl can't do a full split position in that lift because they already have a lift with a split position (the rotational one from DF). Two lifts with a split position would be illegal.

I'd like to say a big to PJ. I hope I don't see her in London (and I pray her big mouth won't be commentating in the arena like it was at Skate Canada) because I'll have to educate her on why Notre Dame has captivated not only the judges but audiences around the world.
    Aha, I did not know that! Thanks.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Who is PJ Kwong?
    She is one, amongst the several, from the Skate Canada propaganda machine.

vCash
    The British Eurosport version of their EX and encore has just surfaced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWuuJ8I8h4
    I've heard this man now many times for British Eurosport and I still don't know his name. First kudo's to him for not talking over the song and performance. Second his comments were interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    She is one, amongst the several, from the Skate Canada propaganda machine.
    Yes! I would expect more disparaging remarks against D/W as we get closer to worlds. Skate Canada is on high alert leaving no communication and marketing stone unturned to make sure people are aware of V/M's qualities and D/W's weaknesses. It's actually a compliment- they wouldn't be on the attack as much if they didn't feel that D/W were a major threat.

I sometimes wish that USFSA would put more concerted support behind publicizing D/W before major competitions- not that they don't put Meryl and Charlie on the cover of Skating magazine and tweet about them but the TV and newspaper reporters aren't all in a cohesive unit in their messaging and support of Meryl and Charlie in US media- partly because NBC hired Tracy Wilson as the main ice dance commentator. And while Tracy doesn't do any overt bashing of D/W on American TV she isn't always as whole-hearted in her praise as she is with V/M on Canadian TV coverage. It's understandable but I wish USFSA and American media outlets were a bit more savvy about their support and advocacy strategy for their main contenders.

vCash

While I can't say I liked her article, I can defend her about Skate Canada -- I'm sure she did some commentating but if you're referring to the two ladies who spent the time between skaters endlessly talking to the arena as a whole, that was Debbi Wilkes and Liz Manley. PJ tends to do her blogging and TV commentary on CBC.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    While I can't say I liked her article, I can defend her about Skate Canada -- I'm sure she did some commentating but if you're referring to the two ladies who spent the time between skaters endlessly talking to the arena as a whole, that was Debbi Wilkes and Liz Manley. PJ tends to do her blogging and TV commentary on CBC.
    My mistake. I hope there won't be any in-house commentary from anyone!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash

Wow...just wow. Someone's living in a fantasy world.

If she doesn't like Notre Dame, fine, but they've received standing ovations in every competition they've been to this season, no matter what country it was in. Obviously EVERYONE is wrong.

vCash
    I've heard this man now many times for British Eurosport and I still don't know his name. First kudo's to him for not talking over the song and performance. Second his comments were interesting.
    Yes, I like him very much too. Always look out for his and another man's commentating on british espn and on this YT account. Does anyone know who they are?

vCash
    My mistake. I hope there won't be any in-house commentary from anyone!
    I totally agree... it wasn't just irritating, it was on occasion unprofessional. There wasn't any at Nationals, though, so perhaps Skate Canada realized it was not a winner. Sorry to have been off-topic in the thread!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I read her article, and I have to say it wasn't as nasty as I'd imagined after reading everyone's reactions though it did rankle. I am definitely in the David and White camp. But truthfully, I think she was a very clever writer who heaped praises on both teams and just used one line as a sinker to damn DW. American cheese slices. Oh please. But she did it skillfully with lots of "dont be mad at me!" both teams are great! But one is cheap dairy product! Not fooling anyone, dear.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast