Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 1011
  1. #281

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Same here! I feel like I finally "got" it today, and I was stunned. To think it will only grow from here! D/W have always had their best performance at Worlds (only exception may be Eleanor Rigby, but only because the Nationals one is so ). And thankfully 4CCs isn't in Colorado this year.
    I didn't even think about that! It will be so nice to watch 4CC without all of the skaters looking like they are going to die!

    My biggest reservation at this point is that Worlds are in Canada. With teams that are this close, I feel like small things like that do make a difference. But hopefully it won't matter. Either way, I'm thrilled with the work they've done this year. I loved the fact that DF came out of the gate perfect last year but it's fun having an FD that evolves again. I don't watch it as many times as some of you guys do, so I don't always notice the smaller changes, but I can tell when the program feels different. And luckily you guys always point things out.

    I think every skater at this level works really hard so I would never say Meryl and Charlie work harder than anyone else but I do think you can see their hard work more than many other teams. I feel like it is because they are very smart about the way they train and they (and their team) are very good at seeing what needs improvement and working on those things.

  2. #282
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I definitely think every bit counts, but the bright side of them losing Canada to bias is (a) Canadian fans seems pretty awesome and supportive of good skating. I think they'll get a lot of sympathy from the crowd, if not fairness from the judges. (b) I think that a loss this year will set them up for a win next year. World champions have that voodoo against them, right? I'd love for them to win, but like Meryl/Charlie say they can't worry about anything they can't control. I just hope they skate as awesome as they have been. DF will go down as one of the best waltzes, despite the score. No one can take that away from them.

  3. #283

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    I don't even really know that it is a bias issue so much as I feel like the crowd reaction influences the whole energy of the thing which influences the score.

    I love D&W, I loved their performance of DF, I think it was stunning. And absolutely Meryl and Charlie can't worry about anything they can't control. But I can't control any of it so it's sort of a moot point. I don't believe the "world champion" curse is supposed to exist anywhere outside of men's skating. But I learned when Evan Lysacek won the Olympics that it is way more fun to have your team win, no matter what the haters say, than it is to have everyone think your team should have won.

    I want D&W to skate their programs brilliantly but, as they say in basketball all the time, I'd rather not have any more moral victories.

  4. #284
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I definitely think every bit counts, but the bright side of them losing Canada to bias is (a) Canadian fans seems pretty awesome and supportive of good skating. I think they'll get a lot of sympathy from the crowd, if not fairness from the judges. (b) I think that a loss this year will set them up for a win next year. World champions have that voodoo against them, right? I'd love for them to win, but like Meryl/Charlie say they can't worry about anything they can't control. I just hope they skate as awesome as they have been. DF will go down as one of the best waltzes, despite the score. No one can take that away from them.
    Seeing a competition in Canada is on my bucket list because most Canadians have always been fair and enthusiastic to all skaters imho. There are 42 days until Worlds begins. And I'm watching folks in certain threads melt down (not you Jessie) and we have six weeks to go yet. Since I love both D/W and V/M and know there is nothing about this I can control I count on all of the dancers tweaking their programs, I count on the judges doing their utmost to be fair and I hope everyone is gracious no matter the outcome. And since I love them all it is the beauty of the competition itself that thrills me. I mean I think they are so damned good--I am psyched!

  5. #285
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I don't even really know that it is a bias issue so much as I feel like the crowd reaction influences the whole energy of the thing which influences the score.

    I love D&W, I loved their performance of DF, I think it was stunning. And absolutely Meryl and Charlie can't worry about anything they can't control. But I can't control any of it so it's sort of a moot point. I don't believe the "world champion" curse is supposed to exist anywhere outside of men's skating. But I learned when Evan Lysacek won the Olympics that it is way more fun to have your team win, no matter what the haters say, than it is to have everyone think your team should have won.

    I want D&W to skate their programs brilliantly but, as they say in basketball all the time, I'd rather not have any more moral victories.
    Yeah...there is no point in worrying about it. That's what I said? Evan Lysacek did not teach me the same thing. He'll be the most forgotten uninspiring Gold medalist of all time. I'd much rather have Plushenko or Dai on my team. Sorry. Moral wins suck, for everyone involved, but this is a judged sport and you have to live with it. It's not changing anytime soon. I don't expect a skater to win, just because they should. There were more obvious short changes last Worlds and that's saying a lot.

  6. #286
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,336
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I definitely think every bit counts, but the bright side of them losing Canada to bias is (a) Canadian fans seems pretty awesome and supportive of good skating. I think they'll get a lot of sympathy from the crowd, if not fairness from the judges.
    Oh yes - if Meryl and Charlie don't win, it can't be fair, no matter what.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I don't expect a skater to win, just because they should. There were more obvious short changes last Worlds and that's saying a lot.
    Because of that one slight stumble that Scott had in the FD? Or because more people (seemingly) liked Meryl and Charlie's dance? Oh, well - yo don't have to answer.

    Sorry for responding to this that way here in Davis/White ubers thread. It's just that this is one of the rare things that I seriously dislike - putting down your favorite's rivals in such a way, no matter who they are. For that matter, I don't like it when separate Tessa and Scott fans do the same in regard to Meryl and Charlie either. Yes, to be honest, I don't defend Meryl and Charlie most of the time in Virtue/Moir's ubers thread, but that's because I am Tessa and Scott's fan, and I don't want to be an enemy in that thread.

    To be clear, I liked 'DF' just as much as I liked 'Funny Face'. And if Meryl and Charlie would have gotten level 4s (because one more level 4 wouldn't be enough to be sure) in their FD step sequences that time, they clearly should have won at least that part of the competition. But they didn't, and that's it.

    Sorry one more time.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 01-28-2013 at 02:31 AM.

  7. #287
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Anyone notice that Meryl and Charlie's total score was higher than the winners of pairs and ladies? You go, dance, and get some attention you deserve! Even if it only lasts as long as this weekend.

  8. #288

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Yeah...there is no point in worrying about it. That's what I said? Evan Lysacek did not teach me the same thing. He'll be the most forgotten uninspiring Gold medalist of all time. I'd much rather have Plushenko or Dai on my team. Sorry. Moral wins suck, for everyone involved, but this is a judged sport and you have to live with it. It's not changing anytime soon. I don't expect a skater to win, just because they should. There were more obvious short changes last Worlds and that's saying a lot.
    I don't really care what you think about Evan Lysacek. The point is that he is my favorite, he won, and enjoying that win is not affected by people like you who don't like it. It's a lot more fun to listen to people piss and moan that my favorite won and theirs didn't than it is to feel justifiably outraged that my favorite didn't win. And I bet V&M fans feel the same way about their win at worlds last year.

    But feel free to take my point any way you want, I suppose. I'm done with this line of conversation.





    So.... You know you've had dramatic nationals when both singles disciplines are more controversial than Ice Dance!

    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    Anyone notice that Meryl and Charlie's total score was higher than the winners of pairs and ladies? You go, dance, and get some attention you deserve! Even if it only lasts as long as this weekend.
    I was so glad they showed Meryl and Charlie's program again before the ladies! It's time NBC started pushing Ice Dance! The US has amazing depth.

  9. #289

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Meryl and Charlie signing autographs today:
    https://twitter.com/HaileyIMG/status.../photo/1/large

  10. #290
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Meryl and Charlie signing autographs today:
    https://twitter.com/HaileyIMG/status.../photo/1/large
    I covet her sweater.

  11. #291

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    I covet her sweater.
    Haha, can't blame you there, all of Meryl's clothes and accessories are always worthy of coveting

  12. #292

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    Awww! They look so cute! Both of them always seem to dress so well. I have to give Charlie props on that front, too.

  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I don't really care what you think about Evan Lysacek. The point is that he is my favorite, he won, and enjoying that win is not affected by people like you who don't like it. It's a lot more fun to listen to people piss and moan that my favorite won and theirs didn't than it is to feel justifiably outraged that my favorite didn't win. And I bet V&M fans feel the same way about their win at worlds last year.

    But feel free to take my point any way you want, I suppose. I'm done with this line of conversation.
    Wow...dramatic. You're free to love Evan however much you want. I could care less, even with all his offensive off ice comments. I didn't even deduce you were a fan of his by your comment.

  14. #294
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Meryl and Charlie signing autographs today:
    https://twitter.com/HaileyIMG/status.../photo/1/large
    Too cute!

  15. #295

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    I'm curious as to what they will skate to for the Gala. We've all had a (y)earful of Adele

  16. #296

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,698
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    I wish we could see the exhibitions. I don't think it's going to air on NBC in a few weeks is it? In the meantime I'm looking forward to reports/photos and videos (if we're lucky).


  17. #297

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I wish we could see the exhibitions. I don't think it's going to air on NBC in a few weeks is it? In the meantime I'm looking forward to reports/photos and videos (if we're lucky).

    It is going to be on NBC next week and icenetwork is going to post it on demand after that.

  18. #298

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,698
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    It is going to be on NBC next week and icenetwork is going to post it on demand after that.
    Really? That's great! I'm so used to assuming that NBC won't show skating. They've had a decent amount of coverage!

  19. #299

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    5668
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Really? That's great! I'm so used to assuming that NBC won't show skating. They've had a decent amount of coverage!
    It is listed as Feb 2, from 4-6 PM. I think they did well. I was also happy with icenetwork. My only gripe was not being able to watch A and B streams at the same time.

  20. #300
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    Posts
    567
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've seen tweets saying they have a new exhibition program! Really? Reallllyyy??

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •