Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 1011
  1. #781

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,688
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5689
    I found the headline extremely nasty.

    This person also did an unpleasant interview with Patrick Chan that put him in a bad light.


    It's by the same journalist, Pritha Sarkar, who wrote the controversial "Patrick Chan trapped between two worlds" article before the December 2011 Grand Prix Final: http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/1...dChannel=11709

    for which Chan was hauled over the coals.

  2. #782
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,402
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17757
    It's by the same journalist, Pritha Sarkar, who wrote the controversial "Patrick Chan trapped between two worlds" article before the December 2011 Grand Prix Final: http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/1...dChannel=11709
    Yes, I pointed this fact out over at GS as well as in GSD: Bizarrely titled Reuters article on Davis & White.

    The journalist may not have come up with the article headline, but I thought the article was written in a pot-stirring way.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  3. #783

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,688
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5689
    Yes, so do I. I guess skating is only supposed to be interesting in Reuters-World if there's a scandal It appears Sarakar is a regular contributor over there.

  4. #784
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yikes! When I first read the article I wondered if V/M or Plushy kicked her dog. That is great if she likes D/W but there was no need to stir a pot that is already starting to boil. When features are written this way I'm not sure whether she truly supports D/W or if she wants to send little digs to the skaters she dislikes.

  5. #785
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    190
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What a horribly written article, all over the place, totally exaggeration of facts to incite controversy.

  6. #786

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,022
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    541
    Here is another one.

    I'm wondering if DFP will have a new one tomorrow. They usually have one before all major events.

  7. #787

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,688
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5689
    Much nicer!

  8. #788

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    507
    While the Rueters article did stir a boiling pot, I still liked what M&C had to say. I feel like they do, no sense to make a fuss, its in the past and we can't control it. I just want to see D/W as World champs again, that would be the best!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  9. #789

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,022
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    While the Rueters article did stir a boiling pot, I still liked what M&C had to say. I feel like they do, no sense to make a fuss, its in the past and we can't control it. I just want to see D/W as World champs again, that would be the best!
    I agree

  10. #790

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    507
    Also as far as the title, we know to "put something on ice" means you don't do it, D/W don't throw tantrums. The fact that they are ice skaters does make the play on words a little weird, though.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  11. #791

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,022
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Also as far as the title, we know to "put something on ice" means you don't do it, D/W don't throw tantrums. The fact that they are ice skaters does make the play on words a little weird, though.
    She lost the effect in double punning it, like a double negative.

  12. #792

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    She lost the effect in double punning it, like a double negative.
    It worked in the sense that it let you know the rest of the article would be poorly written.

  13. #793

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,022
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    541
    New Classroom Champions video with a special appearance by DJ .

  14. #794

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,361
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    6353
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    New Classroom Champions video with a special appearance by DJ .
    Thanks! DJ is such a cutie!

  15. #795
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    New Classroom Champions video with a special appearance by DJ .
    Thank you for posting. They are wonderful role models and i am so happy they are doing this video series. And i love the interaction between Meryl and DJ--"furry friends are the best!" indeed

  16. #796
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,038
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Looking back at this performance, and I have to say, wow D/W were so good then and they've gotten even better!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItdY-lst8yI

  17. #797
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    New Classroom Champions video with a special appearance by DJ .
    Thanks for posting this!

  18. #798
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    460
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Looking back at this performance, and I have to say, wow D/W were so good then and they've gotten even better!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItdY-lst8yI
    Goodness! I don't think I've watched that particular performance in a few years .... I usually prefer to go back and watch their Olympics one instead. The amount of improvement between nationals and the Olympics that year is pretty incredible. But their improvement between the Olympics and now is even more incredible IMO.

  19. #799

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,361
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    6353
    What do you all think about the notion that the USFSA is making an effort to get M/C another World title? I see interviews from the usual pre Worlds teleconference. But other than the human interest angle in that Canadian article about Meryl's grandmother and the crazy Reuters article I don't see anything out of the ordinary. And for those 2 I can't see USFSA being behind them. I still don't see them caring so much about dance (or pairs really).

  20. #800

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,022
    vCash
    862
    Rep Power
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    What do you all think about the notion that the USFSA is making an effort to get M/C another World title? I see interviews from the usual pre Worlds teleconference. But other than the human interest angle in that Canadian article about Meryl's grandmother and the crazy Reuters article I don't see anything out of the ordinary. And for those 2 I can't see USFSA being behind them. I still don't see them caring so much about dance (or pairs really).

    I think the USFSA fulfills the minimum support requirement, when it comes to ice dance/pairs, with an article or press conference here and there. All other articles were independently written or they would've showed up on icenetwork or the USFSA website, which is essentially their official stamp of approval. The only time USFSA gets excited is when Evan is attempting a comeback or they see potential in the next ladies champion. In that case, one doesn't have any doubt whether the USFSA is making an effort.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •