Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    May I say I just LOVE the fact they edged V/M on PCS? Even with some technical mistakes, this SD is SO deserving of having the highest PCS possible.

Frankly, I don't care about 4CC all that much. I value the GPF much more, so I will be ok with either first or second (if deserved!). I'm just afraid of history repeating itself...
    I'm right there with you. It's less about coming in second and more about this not going the way of last season. Especially with Worlds in Canada, I suppose.

Although, when I think about it, there aren't really that many similarities to last season, even though it feels like there are. Had Scott not fallen in the SD in 2011, they may have had the same score. They bested Meryl and Charlie by, what was it? .5? In the FD once the scoring was fixed. And at 4CCs they had better PCS even though Meryl and Charlie won the SD.

This season, without the bobble on a step sequence, we can probably assume both teams would have 75s right now. But Meryl and Charlie's PCS is the highest, if not by much, which is a great thing to see, since people are so hard on them for their connection. And their score for the SD continues to go up. It never came close to 76 again last season. I mean, they bobbled on a required element and still managed a SB. They weren't severely punished for it. That's a great thing to see.

But, of course, I can't help feeling a little anxious.

I assume this is the last 4CCs for both of the top teams. A little bittersweet!

vCash
    Goo Meryl and Charlie! Show Carmen who's boss! (At least in PCS heh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I love this picture from 4 CCs!!
    Thanks for posting, shan! I, too, love this pic because I think it really captures the transformation we are seeing in Charlie this season. Meryl has always been very expressive. While Charlie has always had wonderful energy, he hasn't been able to match Meryl in that respect, imo. This season he is really challenging himself to emote, portraying a more complex storyline and character arc. This is why I disagree with those who have said that this FD is just like Meryl and Charlie's other work. They are both bringing it in terms of emotion, sinking their teeth into the guts of the dance, going after nuance. I think their FD is such an ambitious piece, and I am so excited to see it again.

Also, congrats on the level 4s on the polka! I always worry about the Canton women on that right back outside closed choctaw (the step in the corner of teh first sequence, where they change edges with a raised free leg). The Canton women tend to hit flats or get on an inside edge and roll onto the correct outside edge, so I am thrilled to see them get this step. While I disagree with the SS and TR-LF marks, I have to say that I love Meryl and Charlie's expression through the polka section the most. Nothing seems forced--they really seem to be having a great time out there. I also marvel at how quickly they move their feet--it is an incredible skill, and I feel like this dance highlights that. just a delightful SD. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    [...]
    I assume this is the last 4CCs for both of the top teams. A little bittersweet!

at least we are seeing so many talented young teams coming up, like the Shibs!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Hmm, the judges basically tied D/W and V/M on PCS here. That no team won all 5 of the PCS categories suggests to me it was a total crapshoot who'd come out ahead there. Although D/W did win Transitions by a decent amount, which is interesting, but the other marks are such small margins. D/W were clearly ahead of V/M in PCS at the GPF, and now the gap has shrunken...again.

So to me, it looks like the same pattern that happened last year may be happening again, but we'll have to wait and see what happens in the FD. To speculate, it may have more to do with V/M not getting it all together (?) until later on in the season. Last year's 4CCs at high altitude also definitely affected Charlie, so I hesitate to hold up last year's marks for comparison.

Not to mention, it seems unproductive for skaters to worry about PCS too much, there's nothing concrete to change. Just skate and perform your best and try to get the Levels and GOE in place to offset whatever happens with PCS. This is me playing coach, thank goodness I am not actually one.

vCash
    Good points on the PCS. You get what you get from the judges you are dealt, assuming the performance was solid. I suppose we can't help being a little anxious after the surprise wall last year.

I think that the change to V/M's SD helped them with the increase in PCS. The old concept was a bit too difficult to get into, perhaps. The new one is much clearer and therefore I think their performance is better for the judges. So it doesn't totally surprise me that the gap closed.

The FD will be no easier to predict, because they've both tweaked theirs over the course of the season.

vCash
    I'm not complaining about them competing at 4CC. I don't understand how it could be detrimental, as this is their last chance to fix anything major before World's. Looks like the YP pattern levels looked fine to this panel which is a good thing.
    All I have to say is that I love Giselle. I enjoy it every time I see it. I love when D/W have programs that you can watch on repeat. The FD has come a long way too and I can't wait to see it again. I can't get the exhibition song out of my head. So all in all, I'm very happy.

vCash
    I'm always impressed with how well the American skaters can skate and perform at 4CC's when it comes so quickly after US Nationals. I'm thrilled about the two level 4's in the Yankee Polka and I'm hoping that that footwork would have gotten a 4 as well if it hadn't been for the mistake. Hopefully we'll see similar level 4's in the Free Dance! I know they got them all at Nationals but it would be nice for them to get those levels internationally before worlds.

I think without the mistake on the footwork they would've had first ... higher level and probably higher GOE's as well. It is still so close even with the mistake that the cleanest skate tomorrow will probably win.

vCash
    I think it's a given that the rest of the circular not-touching footwork f/w must have been pretty much OK, or they would have lost more than one level, and the judges might have gone for negative GOE rather than +1/+2' s

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    There's a great D/W interview, photo spread, and article by Charlie's mom about travel adventures in the latest SKATING magazine. If anyone wants the link, please PM me and I'll be happy to share. I was scolded the last time I posted an article publicly.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    There's a great D/W interview, photo spread, and article by Charlie's mom about travel adventures in the latest SKATING magazine. If anyone wants the link, please PM me and I'll be happy to share. I was scolded the last time I posted an article publicly.
    Thank you

We have a new Classroom Champions video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JnYy2_k2QsI

vCash
    I think that is their best video yet. I love the shot of DJ the dog. Cute!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Thank you

We have a new Classroom Champions video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JnYy2_k2QsI
    They need some sort of super adorable JCrew ad where they are surrounded by ALL TEH PUPPIES!

vCash
    Best international performance so far? I think so. Charlie looked deader than Esmeralda at the end. I can't imagine much better.

vCash
    What a light's out performance for them! (Especially Charlie and his poor lungs.) I hope they can push it even harder at Worlds. It's amazing how far that FD came.

I just hate that Tessa and Scott had another problem.

vCash
    Woo! Looks like my good luck vibes got to them . Now I have to see it!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    What a light's out performance for them! (Especially Charlie and his poor lungs.) I hope they can push it even harder at Worlds. It's amazing how far that FD came.

I just hate that Tessa and Scott had another problem.
    Well, it didn't seem quite as bad as 4CC last year but it definitely looked like it affected him.

vCash
    I wondered when I saw Tessa seeming to have trouble breathing if the temperature in there is really a problem. I've heard it's quite warm.

vCash
    Charlie, Scott & Tessa all looked wiped when they finished their skating. One of the Euro guys stated that it was quite warm in the building so am guessing that had something to do with it. Just glad they all finished safely and can now get ready for Worlds.

Congrats to Meryl & Charlie on their 4CC win.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Absolutely beautiful performance from Meryl and Charlie! Undefeated still...congrats on their win at 4CC! They are such a joy to watch, what I love is that they train so hard, deliver the performances, and they so deserve the wonderful support and applause they receive. I love how appreciative the Japanese fans are for them. Just watched the interview after, Meryl and Charlie so gracious and appreciative as always. They continue to be awesome and I so hope they get the World title back this year. I would love that for them.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Absolutely beautiful performance from Meryl and Charlie! Undefeated still...congrats on their win at 4CC! They are such a joy to watch, what I love is that they train so hard, deliver the performances, and they so deserve the wonderful support and applause they receive. I love how appreciative the Japanese fans are for them. Just watched the interview after, Meryl and Charlie so gracious and appreciative as always. They continue to be awesome and I so hope they get the World title back this year. I would love that for them.
    I wasn't able to watch the interview on the Eurosport stream. Hopefully, it will show up on youtube later. I wonder if they will show the gala. All the sleep deprivation due to skating…I need to take some advice from Classroom Champions and go read a boring book

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast