Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Seems like you haven't seen that much ice dancing from 80s and from the beginning of 90s. Perhaps you watched some, didn't like it, and then just gave up on all of it without watching further. Otherwise you would have noticed that there was quite a lot of dancing, especially in ODs. And other ice dancers/programs that didn't have much dancing in the conventional sense, still had beautiful lines. I just have no time or wish to go deeper into it now.
    Thanks for making assumptions, but I have. I tend to exclude the OD because they're theme based. You can disagree with me, that's fine, but it's not necessary to try to invalidate my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    As a dancer I hated the lack of actual dance and attention to lines in ice dance. It was more like moving interpretive theater. I don't like the old Russian and European ice dancers. I don't get the hype.
    Not sure what you're dancing but, in my opinion, there was more dance in ice dance in before COP than there is now.
    Dance has many forms and while ballet or jazz may not be considered a sport, it's definitely a form of dance and not interpretive theater. I've always considered free dances closer to jazz/modern forms of dance than Standard and Latin dances, whereas ODs used to be more like Standard and Latin dances.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I love that little blue dress of hers!

vCash
    I love that blue dress too. She's so adorable in it.

vCash
    Ok--I had an 'aha' moment when I looked at these pictures. I was watching the Kennedy Center Honors and was watching the film of the young Natalia Makarova in her days as a Kirov ballerina and knew she made make think of someone but I wasn't sure who until I saw the pictures of Meryl. Charlie, Tessa and Scott have always looked like the fresh-faced kids next door to me while Meryl has an Eastern European look imo. Do you know if her Mom or someone in her family are recent immigrants? She has the look of a Kirov ballerina to me anyway. Thanks for posting the pictures.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Ok--I had an 'aha' moment when I looked at these pictures. I was watching the Kennedy Center Honors and was watching the film of the young Natalia Makarova in her days as a Kirov ballerina and knew she made make think of someone but I wasn't sure who until I saw the pictures of Meryl. Charlie, Tessa and Scott have always looked like the fresh-faced kids next door to me while Meryl has an Eastern European look imo. Do you know if her Mom or someone in her family are recent immigrants? She has the look of a Kirov ballerina to me anyway. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Wow, until you said that I hadn't thought about it. Meryl's facial proportions are so similar to Natalia's. It's pretty amazing.

I've always wondered about Meryl's ancestry. I've seen pictures of her immediate family and she just stands right out.

vCash
    Classroom Champions

Meryl Davis and Charlie White talk about perseverance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Vm...KJ5kq8&index=1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Classroom Champions

Meryl Davis and Charlie White talk about perseverance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Vm...KJ5kq8&index=1
    Thanks! I really enjoy these videos.

vCash
    I received an email from the Classroom Champions org. updating me on the program. One of the teachers reported that her class had sent a question to D&W about what struggles they may have had in school as young students. In response Meryl revealed that she had been diagnosed as dyslexic when she was in the third grade further talked about the difficulties she encountered in learning to read. The teacher indicated that Meryl's response had been a great help to one of her students who is also dyslexic. It's another nice story about a lovely young women that I thought some of you would be interested in.

vCash
    So much to admire about her! What a hard worker she must be in school, attending a top college and her profiency in foreign languages. She really is an amazing woman.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I love that this picture is on one of the Nationals tickets.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    So much to admire about her! What a hard worker she must be in school, attending a top college and her profiency in foreign languages. She really is an amazing woman.
    Yes, this! In addition, I was doing some cultural anthropology reading (Meryl's major) a little while ago and it had me , soo difficult to read and parse through. Now obviously I do not know what Meryl has to read/do for class, but she has my utmost respect!

vCash
    I'm so glad to see Meryl and Charlie participating in programs like this. I'm sure their classrooms are so excited with each communication. And it must be wonderful for Meryl to see how her story is relevant and encouraging to a child! She and Charlie are such great role models.

vCash
    In honor of the end of the hockey strike, here's Meryl & Charlie being interviewed by Canadian commentators, prior to a gala, about....hockey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UpX0fZ6D7s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Yes, this! In addition, I was doing some cultural anthropology reading (Meryl's major) a little while ago and it had me , soo difficult to read and parse through. Now obviously I do not know what Meryl has to read/do for class, but she has my utmost respect!
    Now I'm wondering what reading you were doing! I did a fair amount of cultural anthropology in undergrad and most of our readings were super interesting. (This has nothing to do with Meryl and Charlie, I know)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "A Day in the Life" of Charlie White - his latest blog (Jan. 9): http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...-The-Life.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I have been on the fence for months but with the clock ticking, I have realized I will kick myself if I pass up this opportunity to see Meryl and Charlie skate. So Omaha, here I come. (This is what credit cards are for right?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    I have been on the fence for months but with the clock ticking, I have realized I will kick myself if I pass up this opportunity to see Meryl and Charlie skate. So Omaha, here I come. (This is what credit cards are for right?)
    Good for you! Have fun!

vCash
    at the picture of what Charlie looks like in the morning.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast