Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Internet saved watching figure skating for me.

Eurosport and Eurosport 2 often don't show skating events or they show only parts of them. Other channels in the Netherlands mostly show nothing. (one channel does show worlds ladies free skate though but that's it). Yet I'm used to it more or less. In the '90s, when I just discovered figure skating I mostly watched it on Eurosport. Though they showed more skating then than now, even in those days skating fans here regularly missed out on great skating events. So I'm used to wondering how a certain competition went and only hearing weeks or months later how it was, mostly thanks to subscriptions of skating magazines, often never seeing the footage (or sometimes months/years later after buying a skating tape from a fellow skating fan).

Nowadays, with internet, at least the footage is always available sooner or later and there is instant information about every single event. I'm still amazed by it. Today I watched most of the Grand Prix Finale on internet. Even though I don't like the interruptions because of watching the programs on separate uploads, it's still so much better than not having anything to watch at all. But more and more people are uploading entire parts of competitions in one file now, so even that is become pleasant to watch. When you only want to save one or two programs from a competition, then the separate uploads are fine, and of course the smaller files are uploaded faster so I understand why most people still prefer to upload each of the programs separately. Having all that nowadays is still unbelievable for me sometimes.

I'm 35, I was about 15-16 when I began watching figure skating and I still marvell at how much the coverage has changed. I never thought one day I'd be watching more skating online than on television (or skating video tapes bought from people found on internet). I even watched the sp of Yuna Kim while watching the GPF. All this would have been impossible even ten years ago! I'm amazed and enjoying all this the same time. Even though television doesn't show that much figure skating, there never was more coverage than now. It's wonderful.

vCash
    i agree. with my work schedule, i could never catch any figureskating broadcast on US TV. plus they only show certain parts anyway, not the entire competition. if it werent for the internet (youtube, forums, etc), i would have been completely in the dark with figureskating for at least the past 5 years.

vCash
    I agree sadya. Live streaming has brought the opportunity to watch figure skating to me when figure skating is not at all a popular sport in my country hence t.v. telecasts is non-existent.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Also an Aussie and the internet is the only way I can watch skating. Outside of highlights and broadcasts every four years from the Winter Olympics, there is no figure skating on Australian television - free to air OR pay.

vCash
    Me too. This week I watched the all of JGPF and GPF live on my computer with NRW Trophy og and Danish Nationals live stream during breaks. (I'm actually supposed to use this week to study to exam, but what the hell)

It's still kind of sad that figure skating isn't (that much) shown on Danish TV anymore, except the Olympics. How will we get new fans?

vCash
    At least your Nationals were televised...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    At least your Nationals were televised...
    Correction, not televised - it's streamed live on the internet. It's for the first time actually. (watch here and here)

It's only girls doing doubles and the occasional 3T and 3S, but it's better than nothing...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    Eurosport and Eurosport 2 often don't show skating events or they show only parts of them. Other channels in the Netherlands mostly show nothing. (one channel does show worlds ladies free skate though but that's it). Yet I'm used to it more or less. In the '90s, when I just discovered figure skating I mostly watched it on Eurosport. Though they showed more skating then than now, even in those days skating fans here regularly missed out on great skating events. So I'm used to wondering how a certain competition went and only hearing weeks or months later how it was, mostly thanks to subscriptions of skating magazines, often never seeing the footage (or sometimes months/years later after buying a skating tape from a fellow skating fan).

Nowadays, with internet, at least the footage is always available sooner or later and there is instant information about every single event. I'm still amazed by it. Today I watched most of the Grand Prix Finale on internet. Even though I don't like the interruptions because of watching the programs on separate uploads, it's still so much better than not having anything to watch at all. But more and more people are uploading entire parts of competitions in one file now, so even that is become pleasant to watch. When you only want to save one or two programs from a competition, then the separate uploads are fine, and of course the smaller files are uploaded faster so I understand why most people still prefer to upload each of the programs separately. Having all that nowadays is still unbelievable for me sometimes.

I'm 35, I was about 15-16 when I began watching figure skating and I still marvell at how much the coverage has changed. I never thought one day I'd be watching more skating online than on television (or skating video tapes bought from people found on internet). I even watched the sp of Yuna Kim while watching the GPF. All this would have been impossible even ten years ago! I'm amazed and enjoying all this the same time. Even though television doesn't show that much figure skating, there never was more coverage than now. It's wonderful.
    It is actually sad how the status of figure skating went down. It's great that we have internet to fill the gap, but still... Major figure skating competitions had always a stellar position at the Eurosport major channel. OK, Europeans were occasionally disrupted by Africa Cup of Nations or snooker, but in general you could always count on Eurosport! These days are over, even when it comes to Europeans and Worlds. Coverage for Europeans last year was SHAMEFUL.
    It is unbelievable, that during Grand Prix final, on Fri, Eurosport channel 1 is broadcasting qualificantions (sic!) for a single ski jumping world cup competition (for those who are not familiar - there are around 30 world cup competitions, each of them preceded by qualfications with very weak jumpers trying to qualify for the major competition, what results in very mediocre jumps). At the same time, Eurosport 2 showing snooker... The same ski jumping qualifications will be later repeated at Eurosport 2 and snooker never ends at Eurosport 1. No logic behind that whatsoever.. It just doesnt feel right, that a major figure skating competition becomes ditched for THAT. At least they could try to broadcast it later in the evening. Im mean, internet stream is not the same quality. Im still not over it....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingaG View Post
    It is actually sad how the status of figure skating went down. It's great that we have internet to fill the gap, but still... Major figure skating competitions had always a stellar position at the Eurosport major channel. OK, Europeans were occasionally disrupted by Africa Cup of Nations or snooker, but in general you could always count on Eurosport! These days are over, even when it comes to Europeans and Worlds. Coverage for Europeans last year was SHAMEFUL.
    It is unbelievable, that during Grand Prix final, on Fri, Eurosport channel 1 is broadcasting qualificantions (sic!) for a single ski jumping world cup competition (for those who are not familiar - there are around 30 world cup competitions, each of them preceded by qualfications with very weak jumpers trying to qualify for the major competition, what results in very mediocre jumps). At the same time, Eurosport 2 showing snooker... The same ski jumping qualifications will be later repeated at Eurosport 2 and snooker never ends at Eurosport 1. No logic behind that whatsoever.. It just doesnt feel right, that a major figure skating competition becomes ditched for THAT. At least they could try to broadcast it later in the evening. Im mean, internet stream is not the same quality. Im still not over it....
    Clearly you are not familiar with ski jumping either if you think only "very weak jumpers" jump in the qualifying round (I think the likes of Loitzl, Neumayer, Kasai, Janda, Hilde, etc would resent being called that, and quite rightfully so) or that it results only in "very mediocre jumps"

I do share your frustration sometimes with the coverage though, and while I understand that they privilege one sport over the other when live events clash, I do find it hard to accept that they'll favor reruns over live figure skating. But we don't know what their advertisement imperatives are and to be fair, they are showing sport to the whole of Europe (and beyond) and figure skating ranks very low in the priorities of many of those countries. No matter how passionate we are about figure skating, this is not a passion shared by the greater number and we have to accept that

I don't want to complain too much about Eurosport's coverage though because as far as I'm concerned, it's only the second year I get to see the GP season so on my end, it's actually a marked improvement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Clearly you are not familiar with ski jumping either if you think only "very weak jumpers" jump in the qualifying round (I think the likes of Loitzl, Neumayer, Kasai, Janda, Hilde, etc would resent being called that, and quite rightfully so) or that it results only in "very mediocre jumps"
    Well, yes I am familiar with ski jumping. But I still stand by my opinion that qualification is a low quality "competition". Yes, few renewed names have to take part in qualifications too, but it doesnt make the whole event 'flying high' . Most of the jumpers (around 60 at each qualfication) are actually pretty average, to put it mildly.But next time I will not generalize and will try to be more precise.
    Any way, that is not the major issue here. Yes, I know that TV stations do not get commercial contracts for figure skating as much as before.. But such a sudden change withing few years only? I dont think that there is really that MUCH less figure skating fans than ski jumping fans. Or snooker. I do not understand why ditching Europeans.. Almost the only big competition per year (except Worlds). There are around 30 ski jumping events, for example - kind of plenty to show during the season.. Why stuffing the coverage with qualifications?? Do qualifications really earn good money?? Oh well...

vCash
    Thank god for the internet because otherwise I would never ever get to see any international skating competitions or events.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Sadly, due to the almost complete lack of FS in TV, figure skating is pretty much dead to me now. I am going to Boston and will probably continue to go to live competitions when they are close to me, because I absolutely love watching skating. I don't have a comfortable way to watch anything on the internet and the quality of the images is kinda crappy to boot, PLUS I'd have to pay for this less-then-enjoyable experience, so I've passed on the Internet thing when it comes to skating. I miss relaxing in the evenings in winter, or the weekends, and watching skating, but so be it. Add in the fact that I don't really like the CoP experience and I don't really have a big motivation to try to find a way of watching and keeping up. There's too many other things that interest me that I don't have to chase down to enjoy. It was a good 42 years of being a fan, with many great memories.

vCash
    Thank goodness for the 'net, which was a godsend these past few years for watching figure skating *live*, but not this year.

I have an automatic renewal subscription with IN, which I've enjoyed tremendously since its inception 4 years ago, but this is the only year where I've been unable to watch the GPs live on IN. However, they do promise live coverage for Nationals, so that's a relief. But otherwise I've lost interest because I cannot watch it live online. Not counting Skate America, as I was there live in the second row.

Here's hoping IN is able to provide *live* GP coverage next year (crossing my fingers).

vCash
    I would rather have internet options for watching skating than to not be able to see anything at all!

vCash
    Honestly, the internet has enhanced my interest in figure skating. Now instead of highlights shows on TV, I can watch competitions live. It was easier last year when IN showed the GP, but thanks to FSU and the wonderful links that are shared, I have caught most of it. I get such a charge out of watching a competition live from Paris on a Russian feed!!! What a world!!!

The other thing that has changed for me is finding FSU and Goldenskate. Yes, there are lots of snarks and partisan comments but there are also wonderfully informative posts on the ins and outs of the rules and details on skaters and their programs. I have learned I am not alone (because in my circle of friends and family I am the ONLY skating fan).

vCash
    Same here, without the internet I wouldn't be able to share and learn more about figure skating. My children don't really like it, even if they do watch part of a competition with me and none of my friends and family members really like it or know much about it. So when I don't understand something, it's either listening to the commentators or reading the forums. Besides, it's fun to compare different opinions, another reason to listen to different commentators en read the forums. Skating talk is so much fun.

vCash
    It's the same in germany. No figure skating in german tv or maybe after midnight. A little bit on eurosport. Thank god there is youtube. :-)

vCash
    I wonder if a part of the reason why figure skating popularity is declining is caused by the fact that there is NO figure skating on TV, not other way around - the popularity went down, that is why TV stations deciced not to show it anymore... Or is it somewhere in between?

vCash
    Sounds like we all are more or less on the same boat! My family subscribe to Foxtel Sports but yet I am unable to find a single fs competition in this pay channel
    Sadya, same here. Can't imagine my family watching fs with me! Try asking around... you never know and may be able to find someone who enjoy watching fs. I only recently found out that my friend with whom I have been attending musical and ballet shows with, like fs too!

Quote Originally Posted by KingaG
    I wonder if a part of the reason why figure skating popularity is declining is caused by the fact that there is NO figure skating on TV, not other way around - the popularity went down, that is why TV stations decided not to show it anymore... Or is it somewhere in between?
    KingaG, that's an interesting question and worth pondering and discussing.
    I think the fact that there is hardly any fs telecast on TV has contributed to its decline. I live in a country where there is no snow so this doesn't help to promote ice skating. It's like expecting to find depth of competitors in swimming from very cold or desert countries. First time I watch fs on t.v. I fell in love with the sport. T.v. telecast of the fs event brought the sport to my attention. Hence t.v. telecast can induce interest in the sport. I believe the 'death' of fs shows on t.v. is due to the fact that many of the sports on t.v. are very 'male orientated' with wider audience capture like football, tennis, baseball, basketball etc. And I am quite sure fs has a very high proportion of female audience (I think I read some where ... the stat is around 80%). It's a niche sport so the 'market' is very limited. Nowadays, t.v. (esp. the commercial ones) will only telecast if it can reach a very wide audience. Revenue comes first. If we want to watch anything which is not main stream, it generally has to be televised from government backed channels. It is also from these channels that we get more arts-orientated or intellectual shows.
    I thank the t.v. stations to stream fs live!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Sounds like we all are more or less on the same boat! My family subscribe to Foxtel Sports but yet I am unable to find a single fs competition in this pay channel
    I'm a member of fsvids.net. Kind members have posted many of the latest competitions days if not hours after they happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast