Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think they were prepared for coming second. They have not got the program where they want it to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I think they were prepared for coming second. They have not got the program where they want it to be.
    Not sure. Maybe they must be, but i was told Scott wasnt happy with results, but maybe this time they understand - you dont need to ne so open.

vCash

Re: Virtue & Moir # 23 - Dance Me To The End Of Love

That was my impression too? Even if they wanted to win, of course.

vCash
    The artistic mark had to hit Scott ( as it did us). Because the program is so difficult they realize that its shows up the little errors when they occur.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iNap View Post
    Why V-M fan care what Tanith say? If she repeat all words what V-M fan say V-M fans will call it bias bais is not one way lanes in these type of case
    V-M fans love PJ Kwong she is like Scott's grand mother
    Because I like to hear what commentators from other countries have to say. I've heard the CBC and the British commentators; I'm curious as to what Belbin had to say. I'm sure it be somewhat biased but sometimes she does have an "interesting" perspective on things.

Shayii, I thought I saw it yesterday but can't find it today.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Because I like to hear what commentators from other countries have to say. I've heard the CBC and the British commentators; I'm curious as to what Belbin had to say. I'm sure it be somewhat biased but sometimes she does have an "interesting" perspective on things.

Shayii, I thought I saw it yesterday but can't find it today.
    I could say, that russian Eurosport commentators wasnt happy with judging, because they thought results was known earlier That all understand after SD V-M coudnt win this GPF.
    Sport channel commenttors was impressed with D-W FD a lot and were on there side.
    What about British Eurosport? Like i remeber, they love Meryl and harlie FD at NHK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    What about British Eurosport? Like i remeber, they love Meryl and harlie FD at NHK
    Chris Howarth (who was the commentator at NHK as well) praised Tessa and Scott, but loved Meryl and Charlie a lot too, he said they're in great shape. I think he approved of the results, he said T&S's FD still has mileage in it.

vCash
    The french canadian commentator Alain Goldberg said that the juges are fooled by the speed of Meryl and Charlie. The complexity of of the program of Tessa and Scott is not apreciated enough. He also said that the music with lyrics is better for the emotion factor. Sorry for my bad english...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frisette70 View Post
    The complexity of of the program of Tessa and Scott is not apreciated enough.
    That, I agree with.

vCash
    Thank you! I agree with Alain Goldberg. And Chris Howarth alwayse try to be polite correct and i like him. I hope he prised T-S FD, but as for D-W - respect there readiness at this point of the season.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    virtue/moir updates their site!
    http://virtuemoir.com/schedule-results

you can now watch their performance there

vCash
    Thank you! Hope this is work in progress. And we can find some new articles after GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    That was my impression too? Even if they wanted to win, of course.
    The artistic mark had to hit Scott ( as it did us). Because the program is so difficult they realize that its shows up the little errors when they occur.
    Good points but (and I posted this before but didn't hit submit) while it's true that V&M were clearly skating better than at their two GP qualifying events but not as good as they will be at the end of the season, shouldn't the judges be judging them against the rest of the field right now? The judges shouldn't be judging V&M against the best they have skated in the past or how much better they will be in the future. Tessa and Scott can and surely will be even better but that doesn't (or shouldn't) change how they skated against the rest of the dance teams last weekend. And like others I feel that they were still the best of the field in the FD.

Anyway, I'm glad that even if Scott was upset he managed to hold it in. At least in public. How calm he and Tessa were after the fact is very encouraging to me. This time around, I don't think we will see what we did last year. V&M beating themselves up so much and putting so much pressure on themselves to be first that it began effecting their performances. By the end of the season I have no doubt that V&M can blow away the rest of the field. That's what they have power over; what the judges chose to do is out of their hands. No matter where they end up, the audiences will still be talking about Carmen years from now. After reading a few of the articles after the GPF, it seems that being creative and artistic is important to them as well. They knocked it out of the park in that respect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    Good points but (and I posted this before but didn't hit submit) while it's true that V&M were clearly skating better than at their two GP qualifying events but not as good as they will be at the end of the season, shouldn't the judges be judging them against the rest of the field right now? The judges shouldn't be judging V&M against the best they have skated in the past or how much better they will be in the future. Tessa and Scott can and surely will be even better but that doesn't (or shouldn't) change how they skated against the rest of the dance teams last weekend. And like others I feel that they were still the best of the field in the FD.

Anyway, I'm glad that even if Scott was upset he managed to hold it in. At least in public. How calm he and Tessa were after the fact is very encouraging to me. This time around, I don't think we will see what we did last year. V&M beating themselves up so much and putting so much pressure on themselves to be first that it began effecting their performances. By the end of the season I have no doubt that V&M can blow away the rest of the field. That's what they have power over; what the judges chose to do is out of their hands. No matter where they end up, the audiences will still be talking about Carmen years from now. After reading a few of the articles after the GPF, it seems that being creative and artistic is important to them as well. They knocked it out of the park in that respect.
    I agree with that and that D&W are skating their FD closer to it's full potential than V&M are at this point in the season. The only thing that causes me concern (calm concern at this point) is the Choreography and Interpretation marks. Particularly the interpretation mark because when I think of the programs we have seen this year I think the best interpreted FD is without doubt V&Ms Carmen. It's strong, bold and even if you never heard of Carmen and didn't recognize the music it's obvious the story they are telling so I would say they are extremely successful in getting their concept across to the audience. Contrast that to D&W and it isn't obvious to me what story they are telling. I know it's Notre Dame and because I know the story I can attribute that knowledge to the choreography but even then I don't feel it's clear at all the characters they are portraying, I see no difference in the roles here versus their roles in Samson or the Phantom. It was also one of my criticisms of A&P back in the day. Both teams do a certain type of music well, they are impressive in what they do, but I feel the music is there to tell their story for them. In some ways I think B&S interpret their program better as I feel they are somewhat successful in getting their concept across, needed a little help to fill in the blanks but once done you understand the meaning behind the choreography.

So it makes me wonder ever so slightly if the program is too bold for some of the judges or if they are too close to the ice and too focused on the elements they miss the bigger picture. I guess we´ll see as the season goes on, I'll sit in hope that by Worlds they can objectively look at the programs and see them for what they are. At least in Choreography and Interpretation.

vCash
    I wonder too, bmcg.

Do you remember last year when we talked about the main differences between Funny Face and Die Fledermaus? Not just the programs, but the role each music played in helping (or NOT helping) carry the teams across the ice?

Now we have two very dynamic musics and yet, Virtue and Moir, not content with letting the music help them, they go beyond and make the music a participant. They interact with it and then the program becomes a dialogue between them and the music: this sort of "you give me that, I give you this in return". And back and forth they go throughout the program.

In contrast, Davis and White take a more direct approach: here's the music, I use it to go from A to B and because they are such great athletes, it works. I am NOT saying they are exprensionless, I am merely saying that the way both teams use musics that are easier to build a program around is completely different. For Davis and White, the music is a vehicle; for Virtue and Moir, it's another character. Since I am a dancer and much more in synch with my artistic self than my pragmatic one, I am going to prefer the latter approach. But seeing that V-M are more in touch with the artistic side of their programs, it baffles me that this isn't getting there PCS-wise. I wish I could find an explanation for that too. I also hope that future judges appreciate the art behind this program. I know this is a sport, we leave that to the tech panel. But this deserves much, much better in the PCS department. I think we all know this. I am not even asking the judging to give them tens, this program isn't even there yet, but I think it was undermarked artistically. I do.

vCash
    I wonder too, bmcg.

Do you remember last year when we talked about the main differences between Funny Face and Die Fledermaus? Not just the programs, but the role each music played in helping (or NOT helping) carry the teams across the ice?

Now we have two very dynamic musics and yet, Virtue and Moir, not content with letting the music help them, they go beyond and make the music a participant. They interact with it and then the program becomes a dialogue between them and the music: this sort of "you give me that, I give you this in return". And back and forth they go throughout the program.

In contrast, Davis and White take a more direct approach: here's the music, I use it to go from A to B and because they are such great athletes, it works. I am NOT saying they are exprensionless, I am merely saying that the way both teams use musics that are easier to build a program around is completely different. For Davis and White, the music is a vehicle; for Virtue and Moir, it's another character. Since I am a dancer and much more in synch with my artistic self than my pragmatic one, I am going to prefer the latter approach. But seeing that V-M are more in touch with the artistic side of their programs, it baffles me that this isn't getting there PCS-wise. I wish I could find an explanation for that too. I also hope that future judges appreciate the art behind this program. I know this is a sport, we leave that to the tech panel. But this deserves much, much better in the PCS department. I think we all know this. I am not even asking the judging to give them tens, this program isn't even there yet, but I think it was undermarked artistically. I do.
    I don't believe PCS makes the distinctions that you are making with regards to approach to music.

Program Component Explanations

Program Component Overview

vCash

I know that. I've read the rules. I was just saying that being more artistic in a program should count.

vCash
    I know that. I've read the rules. I was just saying that being more artistic in a program should count.
    Oh, sorry. I thought you were saying that you were trying to find an explanation for why the program isn't getting there PCS-wise.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Oh, sorry. I thought you were saying that you were trying to find an explanation for why the program isn't getting there PCS-wise.
    Nope. That, for the life of me. I can't explain.

vCash

Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast