Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Love that.

I dunno, but Marina sounds so fake to me talking about how she's going to talk to the judges. She's in such an effing great position. She can't lose either way. And then talking about how they need to take risks when they're the leaders, when it sounds like they had a very traditional Carmen until Swan came on board? She is such a BS artist, IMO. I would love to know if she has a preference as to who wins, and if so, who.

I wonder what V&M think, especially Scott... their motto has been "Marina is always right" and in the end, it's turned out true every time except 2011 Worlds, so I can see where they would wanna stick with her, but on the other hand, it must be really tough at a time like this knowing she could be just as happy to see them in 2nd.
    She sounded fake to me as well.

I've been on and off the "change coaches" bandwagon. Last year, I was all for it. This season started, and I decided it didn't matter who they were with. Now, I still don't think it really matters in terms of placements who they're with, but I wish they had coaches where they were definitely, without question, the number 1 team.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Love that.

I dunno, but Marina sounds so fake to me talking about how she's going to talk to the judges. She's in such an effing great position. She can't lose either way. And then talking about how they need to take risks when they're the leaders, when it sounds like they had a very traditional Carmen until Swan came on board? She is such a BS artist, IMO. I would love to know if she has a preference as to who wins, and if so, who.

I wonder what V&M think, especially Scott... their motto has been "Marina is always right" and in the end, it's turned out true every time except 2011 Worlds, so I can see where they would wanna stick with her, but on the other hand, it must be really tough at a time like this knowing she could be just as happy to see them in 2nd.
    The unfortunate part of it all is that the conflict of interest that has been there all these years, IMHO, robs D/W, V/M and the skating world of the best that each team can truly offer. When Igor was fired, I was hoping that one of the 2 top teams would go with Igor (even if that was V/M). Then we would have no question about which team is favored by the coach(es). Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtpdx View Post
    The unfortunate part of it all is that the conflict of interest that has been there all these years, IMHO, robs D/W, V/M and the skating world of the best that each team can truly offer. When Igor was fired, I was hoping that one of the 2 top teams would go with Igor (even if that was V/M). Then we would have no question about which team is favored by the coach(es). Unfortunately, that didn't happen.
    I can't believe I'm about to say this given how ill I was with Igor's comments at SC, but I wonder if he would still be an option for V/M. My guess is that he'd probably take them pretty willingly.

vCash
    I just spoke with other figure skating fans, they mostly watch men's these days, but have been following dance this season. Most of them agree that V-M have the more technically sound program, but most also agree that the details are slowing them down. Their main concern was speed, in fact. I was also reading PJ's chat and I found the same opinions there. To those of you who have seen them this season, are they really that slower?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    I just spoke with other figure skating fans, they mostly watch men's these days, but have been following dance this season. Most of them agree that V-M have the more technically sound program, but most also agree that the details are slowing them down. Their main concern was speed, in fact. I was also reading PJ's chat and I found the same opinions there. To those of you who have seen them this season, are they really that slower?
    IDK about others, but they do look slower to me personally. In the FD though, I can't tell in the SD. And it's something they've commented on themselves, that they would like to gain more speed.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    I can't believe I'm about to say this given how ill I was with Igor's comments at SC, but I wonder if he would still be an option for V/M. My guess is that he'd probably take them pretty willingly.
    I am sure any coach would gladly take them, even Krylova with all the potential conflicts there.

I was also for the switch last year but I'm ok with Marina this year since we did get two outstanding programs. I am definitely taking notice of C&L getting good levels though. It's fine for now since V&M, D&W, and P&B are getting the same base value, but if one of V&M or D&W start falling behind in terms of levels, that team would probably switch to Igor. Changing going into the Olympic season is usually risky, but since they've all worked with him for years and he's in Michigan, it shouldn't be jarring for anyone. I think he'd be open to outside choreography (would love Christopher Dean or Shanti Rushpaul), and I love the idea of Tessa working alongside Klimova or Fusar-Poli!

I have definitely noticed a tone to the interviews where it's less about being friends and more about each couple doing their work and not focusing on the other. It must be a huge mindf*ck for everyone. To be honest at first I was thinking shouldn't D&W be jealous of all the attention Carmen is getting, and when they brought in Alex Wong it felt like "big sister and brother worked with a ballet dancer and we want it too!!!" but obviously, the tide has now gone the other way and it's V&M who must be wondering "did mama give us her best SD?"

vCash
    Yes, at CoR they were slower than last season. But they were also tentative overall, stress being a major factor.
    Today, I thought they've improved considerably. I don't really think Carmen needs more speed as such, just more flow and attack. They've made big strides in 3 weeks, and I'm sure it will look even better by Canadians. Yes, maybe the details are slowing them down a bit, but they'll work everything out.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    the details are slowing them down? really? it is sf terrible that ice dance has become more about speed and less about dance. when i watch ice dance i want to see DETAILED DANCING not speed skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    the details are slowing them down? really? it is sf terrible that ice dance has become more about speed and less about dance. when i watch ice dance i want to see DETAILED DANCING not speed skating.
    AMEN! I'd love to know when speed skating become more important than dance when it comes to ice dancing.

vCash
    AMEN! I'd love to know when speed skating become more important than dance when it comes to ice dancing.
    COP as interpreted by the judges over the past few seasons

vCash

Re: Virtue & Moir # 23 - Dance Me To The End Of Love

Maybe I didn't phrase that right. My friends aren't against the details, they praised them. They just said that that's why they were losing speed. You can gain more speed when you have fully assimilated the program, that can only happen with time. There are many details to get familiar with in Carmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddtpdx View Post
    COP as interpreted by the judges over the past few seasons

Meanwhile, unison, extension, line, edging, how close a team skates together, and every single other thing has been thrown out the window.

vCash

Meanwhile, unison, extension, line, edging, how close a team skates together, and every single other thing has been thrown out the window.
    V-M last season win W-Ch. D-W win 2011 W-Ch. V-M win 2010 W-Ch and OG gold medal. What is this judges problem? mother russia need to come back in ice dance. This is the only way for detail dance

vCash
    here we go again, as what judy predicted earlier in this thread--change the coach assertions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    here we go again, as what judy predicted earlier in this thread--change the coach assertions.
    We are a predictable bunch

That said, I've never pushed for T/S to change coaches. In fact, I'm of the opinion that Marina is one of the best choreographers in the business.
    I just want the top 2 teams to have different coaches (it could be D/W changing for all I care). That way, the coaches can go all out to battle (choreographically, politically,...) and play dirty even if they had to. Bringing some of that drama back wouldn't be such a bad thing. I want stare-downs between the coaches and their skaters, . Besides, press conferences could be more fun.

vCash
    Hey does anybody know when the gala is tomorrow? I'm thinking of setting my alarm so I can watch Hallelujah.

vCash
    I remember that Marina Anissina said once something like Ice-dancing is not downhill skiing.

vCash
    Quote from Scott of FD (taken from ISU site):

“It certainly felt like a season's best. I think it is good for this point of the season. We still have to fight for this program, it's really quite challenging. Our element were a lot stronger today than they were both in Canada or in Russia. Which we expected because we have been training quite hard. And it is nice to see it pays off in a competition like that. Technically it was a very strong skate and we still kept that emotion”.

vCash
    Golly they are so inspirationally positive. If they can be, we can be.

But yes, I would like to be one of the dots in that giant virtual hug of ddtpdx's , please.

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast