Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Virtue & Moir # 23 - Dance Me To The End Of Love

a great title for two great people
    go guys!! you're the best
    - by your loving Walrus

vCash
    As much as I'd like to think V/M can still win, I think the writing is on the wall for this comp. Almost 2 points difference IS a large difference in dance, at least I have always been led to believe it so. However, that being said, I'm very pleased that they did get a level 4 on one of their YP -- first time this season for either V/M or D/W I believe? Also, what do they have to do to get the rest of their levels up in their SD.

As for tomorrow and Carmen, I am trying to convince myself that I won't care about their mark (but I probably still will) and just enjoy those moments. Oh yeah, can I just echo my at the comment made about the ice melting after Carmen is done. If that's the case, I guess D/W may have to swim their routine instead
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    yes, martyross, i certainly dont mind having one point person to open new threads. you certainly did the last one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    As much as I'd like to think V/M can still win, I think the writing is on the wall for this comp. Almost 2 points difference IS a large difference in dance, at least I have always been led to believe it so. However, that being said, I'm very pleased that they did get a level 4 on one of their YP -- first time this season for either V/M or D/W I believe? Also, what do they have to do to get the rest of their levels up in their SD.

As for tomorrow and Carmen, I am trying to convince myself that I won't care about their mark (but I probably still will) and just enjoy those moments. Oh yeah, can I just echo my at the comment made about the ice melting after Carmen is done. If that's the case, I guess D/W may have to swim their routine instead

and we'll see how fluid they would be in water hehehe

vCash
    D/W got a level four at Skate America (along with one level two) on the YP

1.93 is definitely a significant margin, but it's not insurmountable.

vCash
    Not sure how much faster they need to skate. Scott did have a few bobbles, but they did not affect the flow of the dance, the character or the performance. I thought they looked rather fast out there today?

Every time I hear this music I have it in my head for days. Absolutely love it!!

YEAH!
    vCash
    I actually do think they can still win, although I don't think it'll actually happen. In the GPF SD thread there are some good points about how D&W's dance is more ballroom and in line with what the judges want, while V&M's SD looks more like an "intellectual mini-FD" which I think is cool. So if the judges honestly prefer Giselle here, they could prefer Carmen in the FD by much more than 2 points. Not holding my breath though.

I do have to disagree that this is "just like last year" though. I personally never worry about scores, just head to head competitions... and last year V&M won every competition* except GPF, where they fell.... so this isn't a good sign at all.

*WTT is a cheesefest darnit.

vCash
    Eh, they got demolished on levels at the GPF last season, scoring one level four to D/W's five. It's not a good sign, of course, but it's a good sign that we're seeing improvement on levels, focus and skate cleanliness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaud View Post
    Not sure how much faster they need to skate. Scott did have a few bobbles, but they did not affect the flow of the dance, the character or the performance. I thought they looked rather fast out there today?

Every time I hear this music I have it in my head for days. Absolutely love it!!
    This bobbles is new element for dance. ISU need to remove spin and liftes from dance and add slow bubbles.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Love love the title of this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I actually do think they can still win, although I don't think it'll actually happen. In the GPF SD thread there are some good points about how D&W's dance is more ballroom and in line with what the judges want, while V&M's SD looks more like an "intellectual mini-FD" which I think is cool. So if the judges honestly prefer Giselle here, they could prefer Carmen in the FD by much more than 2 points. Not holding my breath though.

I do have to disagree that this is "just like last year" though. I personally never worry about scores, just head to head competitions... and last year V&M won every competition* except GPF, where they fell.... so this isn't a good sign at all.

*WTT is a cheesefest darnit.
    this so reminds me during the time when a/p and f-p/m went head to head with each other in 2000 to 2002. a/p tended to do ODs that looked more like FDs, which while they were technically strong, were frowned upon by the judges for not being ballroom enough. f-p/m were putting out strong, ballroom-y ODs (their 2000 latin and 2001 quickstep) which the judges rewarded. the italians were much stronger on the ODs, while the french trumped them on FDs. and while we're at it, the v/m-d/w rivalry seems to reflect those teams too, with one team being stronger on speed and lightness of feet, and the other on polish, lines and balletic presentation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    this so reminds me during the time when a/p and f-p/m went head to head with each other in 2000 to 2002. a/p tended to do ODs that looked more like FDs, which while they were technically strong, were frowned upon by the judges for not being ballroom enough. f-p/m were putting out strong, ballroom-y ODs (their 2000 latin and 2001 quickstep) which the judges rewarded. the italians were much stronger on the ODs, while the french trumped them on FDs. and while we're at it, the v/m-d/w rivalry seems to reflect those teams too, with one team being stronger on speed and lightness of feet, and the other on polish, lines and balletic presentation.
    I can see how your comparison could be an apt one.

That 'rivalry' really irked me and I couldn't understand why the judges couldn't seem to grasp the concept that it is easier to skate with speed when you don't have to worry about your lines and use less complex holds. It's almost as if they sometimes judge like the non-skating public who could perceive a program that is faster and more in-your-face (ie, more impressive) as the one that is more technically sound.

The question I have is that if you look at just the step sequences, is M/C really much faster than T/S? Also, if you compare the SS's of the 2, M/C go into theirs already moving while T/S's start from a standstill (which is much more difficult to gain speed -as I indicated in one of my posts last season as well). In my mind, this shows outstanding skating skills when you can gain speed from a standing position with just a couple of strokes. The question is why can't the judges recognize this or at least take this into consideration? Perhaps they need some lessons in physics, LOL.
    Last edited by ddtpdx; 12-08-2012 at 02:55 AM.

vCash
    I understand that Meryl and Charlie skated excellently, and I can also understand and accept them winning the SD. But not by two points, and not on the PCS. Much has been said about that already, so I won't repeat. I can say that I really liked Meryl and Charlie's skate/performance, but I couldn't fully appreciate it as I was so worried about Tessa and Scott - I really, really wanted them to win this for a moment there.

I am not loosing my hope about Tessa and Scott winning this whole event yet, but, at the same time, I am not hoping too much. I too think judges don't really care about the more interesting concept and better choreography of Tessa and Scott's 'Carmen'. This is not what matters to them. The only thing that will matter is how well they do their technical elements.

The positive thing for me personally - despite the not so great changes, I love Tessa and Scott's SD more and more, although in the beginning I was not quite ecstatic about it.

P.S.: The judging in the SD seems to show that judges do care about what they perceive as a better overall concept of the dance. I just think that they won't necessarily consider Tessa and Scott's 'Carmen' a better program. As with the general public and figure skating fans, surely there are judges who really like it, but just as surely there are also those who don't. I suspect that the attitude towards Meryl and Charlie's FD may be more even (although it is not among figure skating fans).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 12-08-2012 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    i wonder--if v/m do retire to become coaches and/or choreographers, will they work with marina? igor? or no one? if the latter, do you think we'd be able to see their students compete with marina/igor/camerlengo-krylova students? it would be a very interesting period in ice-dance, especially once v/m's students rise up the ranks.

vCash
    Meyers posted these pics of FD practice: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...d=2012gpf-day1. I like Tessa's braid, lets see if she keeps it for tomorrow. Anyhow wishing them lots of luck and a killer performance.

vCash
    Love Tessa's braid too. Very Katniss from The Hunger Games.

vCash
    i love the detailing on her bodysuit! if only ice dancers are allowed to wear such in competitions without having to wear skirts

vCash
    the braid looks so natural yet sophisticated. actually, i'm shocked by Tessa's beauty in these pictures. it's like seeing a modern version of Grace Kelly or Vivien Leigh. i believe she's one of the most beautiful women ever.

vCash
    Love the title of new thread, thanks martyross. Does anyone have Brit Eurosport of Tess and Scott's SD, by any chance?

vCash
    though i prefer the skirt for Carmen because she looks full-feminine showing off her legs in black thigts.

"Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin....." (:
    Last edited by martyross; 12-08-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast