Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I never watched any of those shows all the way through unless I was in a situation where I couldn't control the tv. I think those shows are dumb and not funny and I don't play elaborate practical jokes and hate April Fools Day.

But I am not outraged by the prank, either. I suspect that a lot of people who are outraged wouldn't be if the nurse didn't die.

First of all, I don't think there is. Tricking people is tricking people. Second, the DJs did not set up their prank in order to trick anyone into revealing private medical information. They were trying to get to speak to Kate, not her nurses.
    First of all, I am not a big fan of those shows either. But there's still a line there. I.e I pull a prank on someone but its not a prank that will cause them to lose their job or destroy their lives.. Vs. doing something that could put someone's livelhood in jeapordy.. (Personally I don't understand why those prank shows are even allowed to show the people they humilate without their permission.

And I'm not sure how harrassing a sick pregnant woman at 5:30 am in the morning is somehow suppose to be better. Good chance poor Kate was probably sleeping as she should. That to be quite frank plan is almost worse IMO..

Not to mention this was at a hospital and that nurse was pulled away from patients who might actually need her, so the audience could get some laughs.

Tricking people is tricking people and I don't enjoy making fun of others. But there are frankly levels/lines.

(And I never thought what the media was doing here was a-okay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    I am saying that every human being is responsible for their actions and their choices. Not that of others. I am not talking about the nurse dying--however she died. I've never mentioned her. I am sick and tired of everyone saying the DJs did nothing wrong because 1) radio stations need to do stupid things in order to have listeners and therefore stay in business 2) this wasn't a terrible thing because Prince Charles laughed for goodness sake, 3) society tolerates such behavior, therefore it's acceptable.

I didn't say it was acceptable, it's not. I'm just saying there's something wrong with a society that likes those stunts most of the time too.

But I do agree with you now, the DJs did choose to do it on their own volition. I just think it's really sad that they just did it because people love that sick shit, which I think is just as bad.

As for the legal issue - a prank call doesn't equal fraud. I'm not going to bother with the definition, but stand by while a fraud charge never sticks
    Last edited by *Jen*; 12-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    suep, has anyone in this thread said that the prank wasn't terrible? Has anyone in this thread said it was acceptable? Has anyone said the DJs did nothing wrong?

I don't think the DJs should loose their jobs, but I have said all along, I don't think the prank was funny, though I do think plenty of people laughed. People laugh when someone falls and slips on ice, before checking they're okay. Plenty of people laugh at all the the prank shows, enough for new ones to keep being created - society DOES accept pranks, and I think would have accepted this one to a much higher degree if they nurse hadn't killed herself. This is only getting the outcry it is getting because it involves the royal family and because the nurse killed herself. Just like bullying is only in the news if there's a death involved. Is this right? I don't think so, but that's the way it is at the moment. I think it's a sad thing about society - more people are saying it's terrible because the nurse died, but nowhere near as many people were saying it was terrible before that, in fact, plenty were actually laughing. So while you (and I, and everyone is this thread, I think) don't think the prank was acceptable, before the nurse killed herself, plenty of people did. They're the people who encourage DJs to do things like this, who listen to these shows, and make money for the station. The stations won't stop doing it until people stop listening or it becomes illegal, because they're interested in the money. The prank TV shows won't stop for the same reason - people watch them. That doesn't mean I like it, I don't watch or listen to these kinds of shows, but I don't blame companies for producing with many consumers like to watch or listen to.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 12-09-2012 at 10:46 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

First of all, I don't think there is. Tricking people is tricking people. Second, the DJs did not set up their prank in order to trick anyone into revealing private medical information. They were trying to get to speak to Kate, not her nurses.
    Were they? I only heard the clip once but don't remember them asking to speak to her.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    suep, has anyone in this thread said that the prank wasn't terrible? Has anyone in this thread said it was acceptable? Has anyone said the DJs did nothing wrong?
    Someone has.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The prank itself is no worse than hundreds of harmless pranks that are attempted every April Fool's day. I personally don't think the DJs did anything wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Were they? I only heard the clip once but don't remember them asking to speak to her.
    Yes. From the transcript:
    (PHONE RINGS)

Receptionist: Hello, good morning, King Edward VII Hospital.

Greig (Queen voice): Oh hello there, could I please speak to Kate please, my granddaughter.

Receptionist: Oh yes, just hold on ma'am.

Greig: Thank you.

Christian: Are they putting us through?

Greig: Yes.

(Laughter)

Christian: If this has worked, it's the easiest prank call we have ever made. Your accent sucked, by the way, I just want you to know.

(Laughter)

Greig: I'm not used to playing 80-year-olds. (Phone connects) Kate, my darling, are you there?

Nurse: Good morning, ma'am, this is the nurses station, how may I help you?

Greig: Hello, I'm just after my granddaughter Kate. I wanted to see how her little tummy bug is going.
    They actually didn't initially say they were the Queen and Charles, nor did they ask for medical information. Their purpose:

Christian: Here's the thing. We've been handed a phone number and we have been told that this phone number is the hospital where Kate Middleton is currently staying. We thought we'd give it a call. We don't want to cause any trouble, we don't want to stress her out because she is doing it tough. But I reckon we could maybe get her on the radio tonight.
    Still immensely stupid and insensitive, as well as not having been thought through, but yes, they did ask to speak to her and only spoke to the nurse because she was sleeping.

And it was 9am British time, not 5:30, apparently. Not that it's particularly relevant, but since 5:30 has been mentioned up thread...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Thanks.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Yes they have--as pointed out, but there were more comments than just the one quoted. And I do not accept this kind of action even if there is no death involved, just as I do not accept bullying if no one gets physically hurt. I am asserting my point of view on this because the normal out cry is "no one cares--they never say it's wrong, they just accept it." Well, I do care, and I do say it's wrong. Just because you don't like me saying that doesn't make any difference to my point of view. I see your posts as making excuses for inexcusable behavior. If that is the kind of world you wish to live in, go enjoy it. I am willing to protest to make a difference how people treat each other.

I could just shut up and let the comments of "oh, they didn't mean any harm" "it's just a PRANK!" "they didn't think it would work" go by--and some day, maybe a year or two, maybe sooner, there will be a similar incident and once again, the out cry will be "society accepts this" "people laugh". Well, I do not accept it--and I am just as much of society as any one. You say it's sad we accept their actions, and then you turn around and seem to want to chastise me for saying that we should not accept their action. You can't have it both ways.

If you think it's so damn sad, well, what do you intend to do about it?
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    You all realize their were parts of the tape that the lawyers insisted these folks leave out.. These guys did say I want to see how her tummy bug is doing and then did proceed to pretend to be the Prince and Queen.

As for prank calls not equaling fraud, why can't it become fraud at one point? The thing is a lot of time its not bothered because it doesn't lead to any permanent damages. Someone on a message board in talking about this talked about a morning show at their radio station that decided to prank call people about winning a million dollars (that they didn't win) random people. Well they random called one guy who promptly had a heartache in shock the person spent weeks in a hospital sued and got settled. These callers got fired. Prank calls are funny until people get hurt. But the fact of the matter is these idiots have no idea who they are calling and what they might do to those people's emotional health.

And there was lots of anger before these guys and complaint letters well before this nurse died.

vCash
    suep - I'm choosing not to watch or listen to those kinds of shows, and I attend (and sometimes lead) weekly discussion sessions with school kids here to encourage them to speak out and educate them about bullying. The therapist/social worker I employ also participates in these, as well as trying to build up these kids' confidence in themselves. We've run several workshops/information sessions for parents and teachers as well, as I work with a population (kids with special needs and learning disabilities, and kids from diverse language and cultural backgrounds) who are quite often targets for bullies. I don't consider this protesting, I consider it educating.

What are you doing about it? How are you protesting?

bek - do you really think prank calls are funny until someone gets hurt? Who defines hurt?

I don't like pranks even if it was one of my friends doing it. I just don't, if I want to look like an idiot, I'm quite able to do it myself. I can laugh at myself, but I don't like being laughed at. I think the DJs did the wrong thing, I think their bosses will think twice (I don't think it was the DJs ideas...) before doing it again, but I also think it will stop here. It seems to be like that - a case like this is in the media, it dies down until the next time. Calls to boycott usually mean very little in reality. Meanwhile, many of those same people keep listening and watching prank shows.

I don't think the DJs should loose their jobs for lots of reasons - I don't think it was their idea for starters, I highly doubt they just came across the phone number, I think their intent is worth something, and they too have been traumatised and I think have learnt their lesson, and I understand they were doing their job. I think they should be suspended for a period, and receive counselling (which they are). I think the nurse who gave out the information should be disciplined as well.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 12-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.

vCash
    bek - do you really think prank calls are funny until someone gets hurt? Who defines hurt?
    I define hurt as emotional hurt. But in anything if serious consequences happen than rules change. Look at the super bowl incident. Rules immediately changed after that. And the thing is prank calls aren't automatically legal. Apparently some legal experts in Australia are saying these folks actually DID break the law. Apparently the new law in Australia is you can't broadcast folks voice without their consent. So a lot of prank calls involve people agreeing to have the call broadcast. I will say considering this station has had violations in the past, I think the entire station should lose its license not just the DJ. In general I don't necessarily that all pranks are automatically evil but depends on the nature of the prank. And there were plenty of people complained before. Including nursing associations in Australia, once again before this girl's death. They said these jocksters could get nurses in Australia fired and whats so haha funny about that.

vCash
    If a nurse in Australia gave out confidential information to someone on the phone, without verifying their identity or getting permission from the patient, the nurse would be getting themselves fired, or at the very least, disciplined. The caller would not be responsible for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    They actually didn't initially say they were the Queen and Charles, nor did they ask for medical information.
    In her very first sentence she mentioned "Kate, my grandaughter."

And it was 9am British time, not 5:30, apparently. Not that it's particularly relevant, but since 5:30 has been mentioned up thread...
    According to the BBC and other UK sources it was 5:30. That was why the nurse had to pick up the phone, otherwise it would have been a receptionist and things could have been so different.

Are the DJs actually claiming that they expected to be put through to Kate at 5:30am, honestly!

vCash
    If a nurse in Australia gave out confidential information to someone on the phone, without verifying their identity or getting permission from the patient, the nurse would be getting themselves fired, or at the very least, disciplined. The caller would not be responsible for that.
    And if the callers lied and claimed to be someone they weren't... As in this case. If they had said we are DJS from Australia would they have gotten anything-no. For the record I blame the station and the management more than the radio show hosts. THEY after all vetted it and I'm sure pressure these people to put ratings in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post

According to the BBC and other UK sources it was 5:30. That was why the nurse had to pick up the phone, otherwise it would have been a receptionist and things could have been so different.

Are the DJs actually claiming that they expected to be put through to Kate at 5:30am, honestly!
    Sorry, my mistake. I was confusing the time Jacintha was found with the time of the call.

But key point here...Kate is NOT the Queen's granddaughter. She's the Queen's grandson's wife. I don' t know anyone who would call their grandson's wife their granddaughter. If impersonating anyone, it was one of Kate's grandmothers.

And no, as per their comment after the prank but before this, they never expected to be put through, to anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post

I don't know what nursing shifts are like in the UK, but my sister is a nurse here in Canada and if she is at work at 5:30 am she's about 10 hours into a 12 hour shift.

They should have hung up when they realized they were being put through.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. I was confusing the time Jacintha was found with the time of the call.

But key point here...Kate is NOT the Queen's granddaughter. She's the Queen's grandson's wife. I don' t know anyone who would call their grandson's wife their granddaughter. If impersonating anyone, it was one of Kate's grandmothers.

And no, as per their comment after the prank but before this, they never expected to be put through, to anyone.

They then did impersonate the Queen and Prince Charles aftewards. Not to mention apparently there were excerpts taken out...Exerpts the legal team insisted on. To be frank we don't know this is the exact reason for the suicide and yes I don't think these people wanted this and I do feel bad for them.

However to say prank calls happen all the time so whats the big deal. I don't think you can make every prank call illegal. And there are some (ordering a bunch of flowers in the name of the queen etc) that are for the most part harmless. But in a civilized society there has to be a line. And the line needs to be the vulnerable. Is there anyone more vulnerable than a sick pregnant woman in the hospital? Or nursers who are stressed out and overworked as is. on the job.?? There has to be lines drawn in the sand. Even for radio. What I will hate is if these DJs are made the sacrificial lambs and this stupid radio show gets off scott free. The producers and the lawyers-approved this crap.

In general I think prank calls on radio shows-should only be allowed if the prankee agrees to be recorded. And yes I think their victims who had it done without their knowledge should be able to sue. A Radio license is a privileged not a right, and it doesn't give them the right to exploit.

To be frank the radio station's CEO with his we are the victims are people are humans is what has me so angry. This radio station has a history of exploiting other people-and in this case without their permission. And so when it turns on them-its somehow wrong...

It would be awful if it turned out this death had nothing to do with this prank which is a possibility. So in reality for me it is the prank itself that needs to be criticized.
    Last edited by bek; 12-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    My grandparents called their grandchildren's spouses their grandchildren. My aunt and uncle call my husband their nephew. That would not actually be that unusual.

vCash
    suep - I'm choosing not to watch or listen to those kinds of shows, and I attend (and sometimes lead) weekly discussion sessions with school kids here to encourage them to speak out and educate them about bullying. The therapist/social worker I employ also participates in these, as well as trying to build up these kids' confidence in themselves. We've run several workshops/information sessions for parents and teachers as well, as I work with a population (kids with special needs and learning disabilities, and kids from diverse language and cultural backgrounds) who are quite often targets for bullies. I don't consider this protesting, I consider it educating.

What are you doing about it? How are you protesting?

I don't like pranks even if it was one of my friends doing it. I just don't, if I want to look like an idiot, I'm quite able to do it myself. I can laugh at myself, but I don't like being laughed at. I think the DJs did the wrong thing, I think their bosses will think twice (I don't think it was the DJs ideas...) before doing it again, but I also think it will stop here. It seems to be like that - a case like this is in the media, it dies down until the next time. Calls to boycott usually mean very little in reality. Meanwhile, many of those same people keep listening and watching prank shows.

I don't think the DJs should loose their jobs for lots of reasons - I don't think it was their idea for starters, I highly doubt they just came across the phone number, I think their intent is worth something, and they too have been traumatised and I think have learnt their lesson, and I understand they were doing their job. I think they should be suspended for a period, and receive counselling (which they are). I think the nurse who gave out the information should be disciplined as well.
    What am I doing? I too do not participate in watching those shows or listening to those stations. I also tell people that I think it was an unethical thing to do. And when you continue to call me out for that, I continue with my protest. Am I suppose to say "Oh Angelskates--you are right--I am tilting at windmills in thinking that being a lone voice in the wilderness with make a difference. Let me just shut up and sit in the corner and forget about it"

I do not have the time nor energy to go back through all your posts (and I'm talking directly to you, since you seem to be so interested in singling me out) but you seem to have started out with it wasn't that big a deal, to the point now where you are saying it wasn't a good thing to do. I seem to have been saying it wasn't a good thing to do the entire time. You say it wasn't a simple thing for the DJs--I say it was--simply say "no I'm not going to do this" If you have to put an idea past your company lawyers perhaps that should be an indication that it's a stupid thing to do. And they did run it past the lawyers, so you know they knew that what they were doing was questionable. Do I think the DJs should lose their jobs? Well, I've said it over and over that personal responsibility means facing the consequences of your actions. It doesn't matter what they meant to happen--they may say "oh, we thought we wouldn't get through" Doesn't matter what they thought or meant--this is the real world we live in. You do something that causes harm, the harm is real. It is not the harm of the death--because we still do not know (as far as I can tell) what the exact cause of death was. They intended to do an action to invade the privacy of someone who was extremely ill. That is harm enough. What kind of person thinks something like that is funny? They started the whole event--that is what they are responsible for. Poor, poor DJs--who you are casting in the role of traumatized victims themselves. Traumatized be damned--they did this to themselves, of their own free will. It's called CONSEQUENCE, not trauma. I hope they are feeling horrible about the whole thing--for if they are not, then they are heartless, soulless creatures. But they are not victims of anything but their own stupidity and complete lack of compassion.

You think the station manager put them up to the stunt? Well, they still did it. They didn't say no, they went running for the phones, giggling like stupid bullies on the playground--and splashed it all over their web site as well. "oooohhh--check it out--see what clever fellows we are--big hoax coming up--join the fun!" And now you say they shouldn't be penalized for what they did. Yet you say you teach your kids about bullying. Are you for it or against it? Which way are you going here? Do you say "their actions were wrong and they should face the consequences of those actions" or do you say "their actions were wrong--but they didn't mean it, so nothing should happen to them"

You ask me what I am doing about it--I am going to continue to state the same thing over and over and over. Ask me as many ways as you wish, my answer will be the same. And I will continue to stand up for the abused, the bullied, the victims of "practical" jokes and pranks where ever I witness it. I will not be the one saying it's harmless, of no consequence or the awful phrase "it's something you need to learn to live with". One thing I will not be doing is making excuses for anyone participating in any of these actions.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    I'm with suep in thinking the DJ's should lose their jobs even if their bosses put them up to it. They could have said no. I don't believe they would have been fired or punished for not doing a questionable prank. Besides, it wasn't even funny IMO - it was more like "Prince Albert in a can" or "is your refrigerator running". The DJ's sound like elementary school age morons.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast