Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 257
  1. #61
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think it is appalling. I hate when radio personalities do this. They do it every week in my city when they try to catch someone cheating. It's awful.

    I knew a coworker who had the worst of the worst with her partner. Physically abusive, emotionally abusive. The only thing she had was her work. Every day she wanted to kill herself and was just waiting for a signal. I would not be surprised if this worker was similar. You know the hospital went after her, and probably tried to fire her. When work is gone, nothing else is left. It's tragic.

    Not a fan of these pranks. They can really cause harm, as this thread shows. Don't play with someone's emotions, you don't know where they are in their life. This Aussie duo has to know that they caused the death of this woman. Hopefully they aren't still laughing. The tape of them laughing is sickening. I mean, really? How sad.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 12-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    885
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This wasn't an ordinary hospital, it was one used frequently by the royal family. From their website: "The Hospital has a strong tradition of excellence in nursing. Our nursing staff are some of the very best and - unlike many hospitals - the vast majority are permanently employed by us."

    An article here describes Jacintha as being bubbly, hard working, but nervous and needing a confidence boost now and then. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226532841906

  3. #63

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,421
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4087
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I
    This Aussie duo has to know that they caused the death of this woman. Hopefully they aren't still laughing. The tape of them laughing is sickening. I mean, really? How sad.
    Of course they're not still laughing. They've been taken off air, might lose their jobs, have been silenced by their employers and told not to comment, and are receiving death threats from all over the world.

    They might be responsible for a bad prank that misfired, but they are human.

    The real culprits are the listeners, not just of this station but of every station that does similar pranks. The listeners tolerate it and support it, and have done for years. It's all well and good for people to be outraged now that it has something to do with 'beloved' royals and there has been this horrific, unintended consequence. However, the vast majority of listeners of radio shows like this one should also shoulder some blame. No one wants to admit that they like these pranks in the face of what's happened, but the history of the shows and the ratings tell a different story.

    You can't just blame the DJs, the station, the hospital for their privacy policy etc etc. There is no one person or group of people to blame. What's happened, and the outcry and death threats, is more a sick reflection of society as a whole than any individual.

    People should be less interested in laying blame and slapping wrists and more interested in learning the lesson, IMO.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  4. #64
    Princess Glee (TM)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Whorellister
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,092
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    22086
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    The real culprits are the listeners, not just of this station but of every station that does similar pranks. The listeners tolerate it and support it, and have done for years. It's all well and good for people to be outraged now that it has something to do with 'beloved' royals and there has been this horrific, unintended consequence. However, the vast majority of listeners of radio shows like this one should also shoulder some blame. No one wants to admit that they like these pranks in the face of what's happened, but the history of the shows and the ratings tell a different story.

    You can't just blame the DJs, the station, the hospital for their privacy policy etc etc. There is no one person or group of people to blame. What's happened, and the outcry and death threats, is more a sick reflection of society as a whole than any individual.

    People should be less interested in laying blame and slapping wrists and more interested in learning the lesson, IMO.
    ITA. Why are trashy magazines that base their selling prowess on publishing photos of royals, pop stars etc taken without their permission still in circulation? To satisfy the "cravings" of nosey people who want to see what their "idols" are up to in their free time. It all boils down to one equation: no demand = no supply.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

  5. #65

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32962
    Has any proof been found that the prank had anything to do with the nurse's suicide? I still don't understand the link...she's not the nurse who gave the confidential information, there was never a question of this nurse getting in trouble. That she killed herself is a tragedy, as is every suicide, but it may not have anything to do with the prank. That doesn't make the prank any less stupid, but I don't think it's the DJs fault. The listeners, heck even Prince Charles, were laughing before the woman committed suicide; that's the DJs job, to get laughs. I don't think it's funny, but some obviously did. Is anyone blaming Prince Charles? It's people who laugh at pranks like this that mean they continue.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The prank itself is no worse than hundreds of harmless pranks that are attempted every April Fool's day. I personally don't think the DJs did anything wrong.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    885
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Here is a photo of nurse Jacintha Saldanha: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...alian-DJs.html

  8. #68

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,421
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4087
    Here's an interesting opinion piece from an Australian newspaper.

    I agree with most of it, but it's not just 'an English culture', it's an English speaking culture. As Michael pointed out above, the US magazines were drooling just as much over the royal baby story as the English ones, as were the Australian ones. And as a listener of Brisith radio, let me assure you that while no one made a prank call to the hospital that I'm aware of, loads of people were taking the piss, joking about baby names and other royals' reactions. Australian papers were just as after the call as British ones.

    It does quite succinctly deal with the legal issues though. Bad taste isn't a crime.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,017
    vCash
    1561
    Rep Power
    4990
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The prank itself is no worse than hundreds of harmless pranks that are attempted every April Fool's day. I personally don't think the DJs did anything wrong.
    I disagree. Pranks are harmless only if they cause no permanent harm. If their prank was successful and nurses gave confidential material, those people could lose their jobs. There is nothing harmless about tricking someone to losing their job..

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This is an interesting read. While I agree that what the DJs did was stupid, the blame has to stop somewhere.

    Former television journalist's own experience makes her sympathetic to radio pair

  11. #71

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    out of the recliner at last
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,826
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11155
    I think that if you perform an action, then you have to be willing to take responsibility for that action, no matter what the outcome is. Saying it's just a harmless joke or prank is an excuse to deflect blame. If you cannot be mature enough to be willing to accept that "the buck stops here--I did this and it blew up in my face" than I have no sympathy when you get a bunch of criticism. You thought this was funny--now you might lose your job. Too bad--should have thought about that before you made the phone call. You did it, now stop blaming everyone else for your poor judgement. It's not society's fault that you put that call through--no one was sitting there in the station with a gun to your head forcing you do that. Just two idiots who thought they were funnier than everyone else--and really nothing but a pair of stupid idiots with the mentality of a playground bully.

    I think there are many pranks and crap that people try to excuse off because no one wants to say "you are a fcking immature bully" and you know damn well if someone pulled a prank like that on them they'd be screaming bloody murder all over the place. Too much blame passing--no one cares about the person on the end of the "joke" and how it's going to affect them. They don't think about that because they simply don't care. As long as it makes them feel like they scored a hit, then that's all that matters.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,410
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I felt the prank was done in poor taste but I also thought the initial reaction to the prank was way over-the-top. When there is so much going on in the world to see an attempted prank call make the national evening news broadcasts in the US was ridiculous imho. And that also goes for the ensuing finger pointing at the hospital for making the mistake of putting the call through. No wonder that poor woman felt badly.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,017
    vCash
    1561
    Rep Power
    4990
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    This is an interesting read. While I agree that what the DJs did was stupid, the blame has to stop somewhere.

    Former television journalist's own experience makes her sympathetic to radio pair
    Well was the story that this journalist wrote true? However I am not sure how you can compare someone in the media exposing someone cheating customers. Vs what these radio host people did. What they did was NOT journalism. Everyone knew Catherine was in the hospital. Everyone knew she was pregnant. They were trying to get information-that they were not entitled too. Its not even comparable.

    To be honest. I think the nurses in question should be able to sue these radio hosts (especially the other one on the tape). Did the lady agree to be on the radio show? And be humilated like that. There was nothing newsworthy about it and why should the radio show be able to use that lady for profit. That radio show should be sued.
    Last edited by bek; 12-08-2012 at 07:39 PM.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Has any proof been found that the prank had anything to do with the nurse's suicide? I still don't understand the link...she's not the nurse who gave the confidential information, there was never a question of this nurse getting in trouble. That she killed herself is a tragedy, as is every suicide, but it may not have anything to do with the prank.
    I immediately thought this when I read this story, and suspect that eventually, it will be determined that the prank had little--if anything--to do with the suicide.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ I don't know if the story she wrote about is true. But the similarity is that in both cases, someone died because they humiliated them. Was the case in the above article much more warranted? Yes, of course. Were the DJs moronic and out of line? Yes, obviously. But they didn't set out to cause Jacintha Saldanha's death, however idiotic their original intentions, and we have no proof that their actions directly caused her death. Should they be fired, disciplined, not allowed back on the air, well I'd be in favor of that. But given that there was no way of foreseeing what ended up happening, I don't feel like we can hold them directly responsible for the fact that someone committed suicide.

    I think that's all the author was getting at - that all the hysteria in either direction, looking for someone to blame, is not good for anybody.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    I'm in the West and my Heart in the East
    Posts
    7,135
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It is very sad when a foolish act triggers a suiside, but I doubt that it was the only reason for the nurse to end her life.
    RIP

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,017
    vCash
    1561
    Rep Power
    4990
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    ^ I don't know if the story she wrote about is true. But the similarity is that in both cases, someone died because they humiliated them. Was the case in the above article much more warranted? Yes, of course. Were the DJs moronic and out of line? Yes, obviously. But they didn't set out to cause Jacintha Saldanha's death, however idiotic their original intentions, and we have no proof that their actions directly caused her death. Should they be fired, disciplined, not allowed back on the air, well I'd be in favor of that. But given that there was no way of foreseeing what ended up happening, I don't feel like we can hold them directly responsible for the fact that someone committed suicide.

    I think that's all the author was getting at - that all the hysteria in either direction, looking for someone to blame, is not good for anybody.
    Maybe they couldn't have forseen it. But the fact of the matter is they had no idea who they were pulling a prank on either. She was an anonymous stranger. I suspect that maybe this nurses's friends and family could have foreseen it.

    However what they should have as reasonable people forseen is that showing the ability to get personal information about the Duchess's health might put a lot of stress on the Duchess who is already experiencing a hard pregnancy-that is easily forseeable. And the Duchess's medical condition was not ha! ha! funny joke. Women have died from it. Babies have been lost from it.

    And something easily foreseeabe is someone losing their job and livelhood over that. So yes essentially ruining someone's life. And at the end of the day this wasn't somebody out to commit a crime.. Or someone who signed up as a public figure. But just someone who wanted to save lives as a nurse and was apparently proud to work at the hospital that serves the Queen. Proud to the point of living away from her family on the weekdays...

    When you pull a prank like that on someone you don't know-yes you bare some responsibility from the unforseen consquences. Especially because we live in a very global world now. And some cultures hold the idea of honor and saving face to be of extreme importance. So what may seem like a silly get over it moment for some-isn't the same for others.

    And then you may have others who may just be in a very fragile state just in general and not up for at all to be ridiculed worldwide. These pranksters were essentially messing with people they didn't know, who they had no business even talking too.
    Last edited by bek; 12-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.

  18. #78
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,748
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20773
    Has it been determined it was suicide? I read she had been found on the street a few blocks from the hospital. That makes suicide seem less likely than some sort of mugging gone wrong or an accidental death such a heart attack. It seems more likely to me that someone accosted her on the street for her part in this prank and that led to the death in some way.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I disagree. Pranks are harmless only if they cause no permanent harm. If their prank was successful and nurses gave confidential material, those people could lose their jobs. There is nothing harmless about tricking someone to losing their job..
    The jockeys weren't out to cause the nurses to lose their jobs, and they didn't go through some elaborate scenario to try and convince the nurses that they were members of the royal family; They simply spoke in a fake English accent. The nurse broke the patient's confidentiality rule. If she had lost her job because of it then it would've been deserved.

  20. #80
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7828
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Has it been determined it was suicide? I read she had been found on the street a few blocks from the hospital. That makes suicide seem less likely than some sort of mugging gone wrong or an accidental death such a heart attack. It seems more likely to me that someone accosted her on the street for her part in this prank and that led to the death in some way.
    Link? Everything I have read and seen on the news here in the UK indicates that her body was found in a nurses accommodation building round the corner from the hospital.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •