Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    I do think the prank was in poor taste, but the end result definitely came as a shock. I actually think what they did a few years ago -as mentioned in several articles- was even worse in and of itself.

In 2009, 2Day FM was criticised when a 14-year-old girl was made to reveal to her mother on a live on air that she had been raped two years earlier, according to reports.

While apparently submitting to a lie detector test about sex and drugs on the Kyle and Jackie O breakfast show, she was asked by her mother: "Have you ever had sex?"

The girl answered: "I've already told you the story about this ... and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny."

After a pause, she added: "Oh OK, I got raped when I was 12 years old."

DJ Kyle Sandilands provoked further outrage by asking her: "Is that the only experience you've had?"
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...o-station.html

Obviously, once someone well-known like the royal family starts being involved you get a lot more attention and if this means the dj's lose their jobs or have to clean up their act, I guess that's all for the better in the end...Very sad it had to come to someone killing themselves before we start questioning the limits of what's appropriate.

vCash
    I have to wonder whether the nurse was facing lawsuits in the aftermath of the prank phone call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Shouldn't a nurse, and all health care professionals, know that you don't automatically reveal a patient's conditions to anyone that you can't verify? It was an innocent slip up for sure, but the nurse definitely breached patient's confidentiality when she talked about how Kate was doing in the hospital to the pranksters over the phone.
    In the US, it's illegal to give out medical information about a patient. Grounds for losing ones job.

If you're an employee of the hospital, it's also illegal to look up patients on the computer system unless you are actually treating them. Again, grounds for firing.

That said, I feel so sorry for this poor woman who probably got so flustered when she was speaking directly to "royalty".

Such a tragedy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    I have to wonder whether the nurse was facing lawsuits in the aftermath of the prank phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    In the US, it's illegal to give out medical information about a patient. Grounds for losing ones job.

If you're an employee of the hospital, it's also illegal to look up patients on the computer system unless you are actually treating them. Again, grounds for firing.

That said, I feel so sorry for this poor woman who probably got so flustered when she was speaking directly to "royalty".

Such a tragedy
    I'm not sure which nurse the above two posts are about, but as Norlite posted earlier in the thread the nurse-receptionist who put the call through to Kate's floor, not the nurse who gave the information to the radio station, is the one who was found dead. So she herself didn't reveal any patient information, she merely put the call through.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Vacant
    vCash
    No complaint was made by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the hospital have stated that they were supporting her and no disciplinary action was taken. Obviously she was severely affected by what happened but there is no indication that she was under any form of official discipline. That said, certain sections of the media and the general public have been very critical of her actions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    My problem with the prank is that it was not really a prank on the Royal family as some have called it. The RF can handle such things.

It was a prank on a couple of hardworking ordinary people (the nurse and the receptionist) who are unused to publicity or the spotlight, and it took advantage of their naivety and thrust them into public derision that at least one of them couldn't handle. Sad.
    Perfectly said.

What a sad story. I don't think it seemed that most people were criticizing the nurse for taking the call, but it didn't stop her from feeling horrible about it. Too sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    They were still gloating about their "royal prank" barely an hour ago. I would expect they will have something entirely different to say now, but likely will still defend their doing it.
    That would be quite something, since 3 hours ago (the 1 hour plus the 2 since your post) it was 4am where that show is recorded, and it's not on air then. I understand the anger, but...

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Was the nurse criticized for taking the call? I don't know why anyone would be so angry at her.
    Yes, she was, but not by the Royals who had nothing to say about the call itself, except for Charles who seemed to find it funny. As I said in the royals thread, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. No one did anything illegal, or wrong, and the Royals didn't seem to care. It's really tragic that it's come to this

Nope. Not in UK jurisdiction. The hospital could have been, or could have been wary of one and not been supporting her as they outwardly claim, but the nurse herself wouldn't have been, I don't think. Just speculating, but she probably was in trouble with the hospital. They were humiliated, and they should have known that the media would try to call under all disguises. That said, they should also have had someone answering the phones and vetting calls who was trained to do that. A nurse definitely isn't prepared for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I do think the prank was in poor taste, but the end result definitely came as a shock. I actually think what they did a few years ago -as mentioned in several articles- was even worse in and of itself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...o-station.html

Obviously, once someone well-known like the royal family starts being involved you get a lot more attention and if this means the dj's lose their jobs or have to clean up their act, I guess that's all for the better in the end...Very sad it had to come to someone killing themselves before we start questioning the limits of what's appropriate.
    I think it's important to remember these DJs are not the ones who were responsible for the disgusting thing with the 14 year old. That was a HUGE scandal in Australia at the time, and Kyle Sandilands is known for being repulsive in every way. IIRC, he lost his job. The station were furious with him for that, and other things. All the breaches mentioned are about him.

As for these two - it remains to be seen whether the standards were breached. The prank was vetted by lawyers before going to air. It was definitely in poor taste, but possibly not illegal.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    That would be quite something, since 3 hours ago (the 1 hour plus the 2 since your post) it was 4am where that show is recorded, and it's not on air then. I understand the anger, but...
    Perhaps I read the time stamp incorrectly -- there was a tweet from Michael Christian which seemed to have been only an hour before I read it. Sorry if I was wrong about them still boasting about it and didn't connect that the "this morning" in news reports referred to UK time. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa for the "anger" you inferred from my post.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Perhaps I read the time stamp incorrectly -- there was a tweet from Michael Christian which seemed to have been only an hour before I read it. Sorry if I was wrong about them still boasting about it and didn't connect that the "this morning" in news reports referred to UK time. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa for the "anger" you inferred from my post.
    No no no! I meant the anger towards the radio station and hosts, which I think we all have on some level. I may have projected it rather than inferred it

In other news, the DJs will not be commenting - they've been told not to. Probably wise, I think it would just be inflammatory at this stage.

vCash
    I have worked at hospitals for years(not as a nurse). My husband is a physician(I am not). Let me tell you about nurses. They get screamed at, by just about everyone. I believe the hospital when it states that there was no action against the nurse. I will lay you odds that both nurses were reamed pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Shouldn't a nurse, and all health care professionals, know that you don't automatically reveal a patient's conditions to anyone that you can't verify? It was an innocent slip up for sure, but the nurse definitely breached patient's confidentiality when she talked about how Kate was doing in the hospital to the pranksters over the phone.
    We do not know what the privacy issues or anything is in the UK. In the US since the advent of HIPPA, yes giving out of information has been greatly shored up. Up until then, you would have been surprised about what information could and was released by unsuspecting hospital employees. I once received a phone call from someone claiming to the be the grandparent of a child who was seriously injured in a child abuse situation. Fortunately for me, we had been alerted to the press in that city trying to get information on who was the suspect perp. The press can be relentless in trying to get information. If the hospital said it was going to shore up it's privacy policies - you can bet that there were some loopholes or unclear policies.

I'm not sure which nurse the above two posts are about, but as Norlite posted earlier in the thread the nurse-receptionist who put the call through to Kate's floor, not the nurse who gave the information to the radio station, is the one who was found dead. So she herself didn't reveal any patient information, she merely put the call through.
    right
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    What a sad story. I don't think it seemed that most people were criticizing the nurse for taking the call, but it didn't stop her from feeling horrible about it. Too sad.
    Wrong - I've read many comments that the nurse should be fired, the nurse should know better, the nurse should.....

And I agree - these type of pranks are not really funny. They are meant to embarrass or cause issues for people doing their jobs. It simply is not funny

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Bullying at it's best. No matter how you spin it it was an attempt to humiliate. Worked, I guess.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    We do not know what the privacy issues or anything is in the UK.
    I do. There should have been more safeguards before the information was given out, and I think that should have been done by the nurse who actually gave out that information. Normally you have to answer a bunch of questions to prove you know the patient very well. I'm willing to bet that the hospital threw the rulebook out the window in many regards, not just this, because it was a special case. The nurses probably got into trouble for it. It's hard to blame just any one person. Sad.

Actually, what was the purpose of the call? I don't think it was meant to humiliate whoever answered it. They never thought it would get through. So...what was the point?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    One caution is that as far as I've seen, this isn't a confirmed suicide, and importantly if it is, we know nothing else about this woman and what other issues there might have been that might have led to it. The entire world seems to be jumping to conclusions here; it's a bit scary the way something like this can snowball in a matter of hours.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post

Actually, what was the purpose of the call? I don't think it was meant to humiliate whoever answered it. They never thought it would get through. So...what was the point?
    Of course the point was to humiliate. Whether that be the royals, the hospital or any specific individual they wanted to embarrass someone. Or maybe they just wanted to show how clever they are at someone else's expense. Hope they're pleased with their handiwork.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    One caution is that as far as I've seen, this isn't a confirmed suicide, and importantly if it is, we know nothing else about this woman and what other issues there might have been that might have led to it. The entire world seems to be jumping to conclusions here; it's a bit scary the way something like this can snowball in a matter of hours.
    ^This. Its kind of not learning any lessons from this in a way.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Couldn't find anything on the station's website, but apparently they have issued a statement, excerpts in this article in US Weekly.

In an email, a rep for the station tells Us Weekly they are "deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha," who leaves behind a husband and two children.

The station adds that presenters Greig and Christian are "deeply shocked" and have agreed not to comment. Out of respect, they will not return to their radio show until further notice. Indeed, both also deleted their Twitter accounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Wrong - I've read many comments that the nurse should be fired, the nurse should know better, the nurse should.....

And I agree - these type of pranks are not really funny. They are meant to embarrass or cause issues for people doing their jobs. It simply is not funny
    I don't think I'm wrong. I was referring to the royal family who did not criticize the nurse and Prince Charles had been laughing the prank off prior to the tragedy.

vCash
    I'm sorry - I thought you were saying that you had heard anything about the nurse needing to be fired or whatever. I was referring to comments given on many forums including one or two in the Royals thread on this board.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post

Are you saying that if a nurse in the US believes to be on the phone with the President of the United States and he is asking about whether his daughter-in-law is better, she is simply going to say "Sorry Mr. President, confidentiality rules..." and hang up? Would the hospital fire a nurse for giving the President an update on his daughter-in-law?

I don't think in the real world things work like that.

If anyone in the hospital is to blame, it must be the administration for not warning the staff about how paparazzi may work, once the Duchess had been admitted. Obviously the nurses hadn't been given any rules, because if they had been, they would have been disciplined for not following them and the hospital administration would have mentioned it to clear itself.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast