vCash

Tinnitus sufferers?

For the last two months or so my mother has been having constant tinnitus (ringing in ears). It's now bearable early in the day, but right around 4pm becomes horrible. I was hoping it'd be temporary, but fear that won't be the case.

I feel pretty helpless since there's no actual cure, and it's not something I've really gotten medical training on. Since FSU has always been a good source of knowledge I was wondering if anyone here has suffered and found coping strategies, or something to help habituate to the sound. Thanks in advance! It's been really rough for her since this started.

vCash
    I lost my hearing in one ear and had ringing in my other ear when I lay down to sleep at night. I consulted a licensed audiologist that I found online. My problem was impacted ear wax and the problem was solved by having my ears cleaned out. It cost $75 and took about an hour. The audiologist I went to discussed symptoms and possible problems over the phone when I called to make the appointment.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    my sister in law has it, and she said she eventually got used to it. It must not be a bad case of it.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    My mother had claimed she had that and nothing could be done. Then she found out her carotid arteries were nearly blocked, and THAT was the problem. Lara, has your mother been diagnosed by a doctor or is she self-diagnosing?

vCash
    From personal experience, it might be related to blood pressure. Not that there was anything wrong with my blood pressure, I simply figured out that the sound followed my pulse. It would make sense if it's not the same throughout the day (therefore sk8pics might be onto something, even if I know nothing about this myself). That, and cold wind in winter (or in skating rinks) have caused me to experience tinnitus as well. I make sure to cover my ears now and I rarely have any problem.

vCash
    You don't say whether your mother has consulted a professional but if not I would get an ear exam. If her ears are healthy then a physical is in order. If she is taking medication that could explain why the problem is worse at certain times. I wouldn't just assume nothing can be done. The solution may be simple, or this might be a sign of a bigger problem that needs to be taken care of.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 12-09-2012 at 01:47 AM.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I've had it for years and it was probably brought on by having scarlet fever at age 5. For the longest time, I thought it was normal to hear ringing noises but, when I was older and knew more, I learned otherwise. Through the years I've seen a number of doctors about it but nothing has helped. It gets worse when I'm not feeling well. At times it's so loud it seems as though somebody near me should be able to hear it, too. Most of the time it's just something I'm used to and I don't pay much attention to it. I have some hearing loss but don't need hearing aids.

I hope your mother is able to find out what's causing hers and there's something that will get rid of it.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F