Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    ? Kelly Supangat INA
    I don't think I have ever seen that an Indonesian figure skater competed at an ISU event before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I know that there is like a billion of more pressing matters there than funding and developing figure skating but it's a shame that DPRK doesn't have enough funding (or is too scared of skaters seeing the outside world and/or defecting) to send its skaters to more international competitions.
    It isn't just the skaters who might defect; it's everyone else in the delegation. And since these skaters, at least, are all children or adolescents, I would say it's far more likely that the ones defecting would be the coaches, officials, and (especially) the security and intelligence personnel.

vCash
    I think I might have seen one or two skaters represent Indonesia already maybe at some minor international event but I can't recall for sure.

I remember stalking the DPRK coach at one event (it was JGP Ostrava IIRC). He looked through some skating apparel, that somebody was selling inside the arena, for a long time but I don't think he ended up buying anything. Nothing else remotely interesting happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    This is the best I can find for this year's results

Junior Men
    2 Han Kum Choi DRK
    3 Han Kwang Bo DRK
    ? Julian Yee MAL
    ? Kai Xiang CHEW MAL
    ? Bryan Christopher TAN MAL
    ? Michael Durham NZL

All PHI -I'm not sure what level. Audrey Alcaraz, Alyssa Comia, Keith Stephanie Angeles, and Dominique Katigbak
    Julian Yee of Malaysia won in Junior mens. Alyssa Comia and Jules Alpe (Jr. mens) both from the Philippines where 4th after the short I don't know where they ended up though

vCash

vCash
    Philippine Skating Union (PhSU) President Pocholo Vaguillas said this will be the second and last time the country will be hosting the event since the ISU has removed the Philippines from the list of developing nations because of 2014 Sochi Winter Olympian Michael Martinez.
    This is interesting (re: Philippines no longer considered a "developing" nation).

Of note, Chloe Ing (Singapore, 1st Junior Ladies) is actually from the Greater Toronto area and was training at the Richmond Hill Club where Gabby Daleman trains.

Julian Yee (Malaysia, 1st Junior Men) did make the free skate cut at 2014 Four Continents (23rd).

Kelly SUPANGAT INA
    Savika Refa ZAHIRA INA
    I believe both Kelly and Savika are currently aged 10, so there are still a few years of opportunity to develop these two skaters (not sure who's coaching them)
    Last edited by Seerek; 05-02-2014 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    First time we see a skater from Indonesia (Dwiki Eka RAMADAHAN) in ISU recognized competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twicken View Post
    What is exactly qualifies skaters for entry in this event? Last year Martinez only skated an exhibition but was not allowed entry. Also no foreign born athletes representing the 'developing countries' (which is as it should be) but any restrictions like a skater has to be training in the country they are representing?
    I can answer all your questions- but the last part, I don't think has to be true. Amirah, a Malaysian skater, does most of her training in Iowa. She didn't seek out the citizenship to skate though- I'm pretty sure she has been a dual citizen all of her life, and even before she represented them she routinely returned to Malaysia to live a part of the year.

vCash
    Some videos available:

Junior mens:

1. Julian Yee, MAS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MWkDYw3Gg

2. Kum Chol Han, PRK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAd7Iv0xog

3. Kwang Bom Han, PRK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF2xGEFOvKY

5. Jules Alpe, PHI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AaXmRNolxU

vCash
    Thank you for the links. I was really interesting in seeing North Korean skaters. Looking at Han Kum Chol, the basics are lacking and there's no energy or projection (as usual) but the jump technique looks really solid and impressive. There is definitely potential there but unless they start to work on the whole package, they won't get far.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234