Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Eurovision 2013: How Euphoric!

Ok, well, I had to think of something for the title.

We're just barely one day out to the start of Eurovision madness. Belarus is holding its National Final on December 7th!

Other interesting development: This year, the performance order will be picked by the producers, rather than through a draw. I have really mixed feelings about this. It could lead to $$ going into who gets which spot for better chances of success or whatnot. Or it could be fine and we may all think the producer-picked order is perfect. Who knows at this point?

And, just to make life easier for everyone, here's a list of National Final dates (thus far):
    December 7: Belarus
    December 15: Switzerland
    December 16: Belgium (song; artist already selected)
    December 20: Lithuania
    December 22: Albania
    December 23: Ukraine
    January 26: Denmark
    February 2: Iceland, Malta
    February 9: Finland, Norway
    February 14: Germany
    February 15: Austria
    February 16: Latvia
    February 22: Ireland
    March 2: Estonia
    March 3: Serbia
    March 9: Sweden

Macedonia will select in December; The Netherlands have their artist, but will not select the song until February.

Unknown National Final Dates w/Confirmed Participation: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Hungry, Israel, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Slovenia, Turkey, France, Italy, UK
    Source

Yay! Time to talk Eurovision again...how I missed it for 6 and a half months!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Poland and Portugal are out for next year apparently as well.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Oh lawsey! It's that time already?!
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovakia and, to my great surprise, Turkey are also out.
    Turkish national broadcaster claims the current 50/50 voting system is unfair and favours the Big 5 countries. well, quite a controversial statement...

vCash
    as for Poland, Polish TV gave no reason for withdrawal. most probably it's lack of money and lack of motivation to participate. I am not surprised, the level of the competition in the last few years was ridiculously bad - singers/bands unknown even to the audience, crap songs, no resources to promote the entries. I'm rather pessimistic about 2014...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Bosnia & Herzegovina and Turkey being out is a huge surprise!

Meanwhile, Switzerland have chosen their entry and it's a bit controversial.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Bosnia & Herzegovina and Turkey being out is a huge surprise!

love this quote: "There have also been reports Greece and Cyrus may also withdraw."
    Miley planned to be at the ESC 2013?

btw, Belarus and Belgium also chose their entries. well, the quality of the songs so far is rather questionable...

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Hmmmm....and so the meh begins...
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

At least here in Finland, the Salvation Army is against gay rights - that was the reason I stopped funding them, even though they otherwise do good work. So them an Eurovison song contest are a bit controversial indeed.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Same here. Kind of wonder why they thought it would be a good idea to enter Eurovision.

vCash
    Ukraine, Albania and Lithuania have chosen their songs. any comments? I do not dare ...

vCash
    btw, it's a shame Lithuania did not choose this. I know, my taste in music is strange ...

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    Ukraine, Albania and Lithuania have chosen their songs. any comments? I do not dare ...
    Apparently the ability to sing is no longer a prerequisite? and Ukraine seems like they’ve hit upon a new style where the back-up “singers” are in a different key?

vCash
    Ugh, my favorite song in the Lithuanian final was "Loreen." Oh well.

Nothing really stands out as "potential Eurovision superstar" yet. Also, I'm really wondering why so many people want those techno songs that really only sound good when recorded. Eurovision is a live show; save the techno for the clubs.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    What happens in Eurovision is that if an uptempo numbers wins the year after we get lots of uptempo numbers. And then a ballad wins and the same thing happens the following year.

vCash
    Wow I can't believe what a total mess it's turning out to be so far...

Turkey's withdrawal is huge. They always took Eurovision seriously and consistently placed well. That comment about the voting system favouring top 5 countries is complete bullshit.

The quality of the songs chosen so far is just abysmal. Ukraine in particular is a totally ridiculous racket.

vCash
    btw, it's a shame Lithuania did not choose this. I know, my taste in music is strange ...
    Only watched it now. Amazing, kooky electro! A real shame indeed.

vCash
    Turkish national broadcaster claims the current 50/50 voting system is unfair and favours the Big 5 countries. well, quite a controversial statement...
    ITA,IMO the current voting system actually gives Turkey a huge advantage because of the Turkish immigrants, who live in Europe and automatically support Turkey's songs.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I always find it comforting to read the eurovision thread page as was always a significant part of my childhood in England watching it on TV and seeing who would win. My favourite was when ABBA was in it.. but also liked other years as well..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I'm kind of sad with Eurovision this year...it's not the fun it usually is because there's legitimately very little there this time around! Come on, everyone who hasn't picked--time to pick some awesome music! Preferably something voidy

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast