Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Evgeni Plushenko won’t bother with figure skating Grand Prix season: DiManno

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...season-dimanno
    The tall blond Russian, as compelling a character as any invented by Leo Tolstoy — vain, disdainful, imperious — considers himself too good to bother with the Grand Prix season whilst on a selective comeback trail aimed at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    I knew Sugar would post a link to this Rosie DiManno column!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This was pretty bad even by Rosie DiManno standards. She's aware that Plushenko is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, right? Not to mention twisting Patrick Chan's comments - it's not like it's that hard to make Chan say something quotable!

I don't recall Plushenko sneering at Chan at any point, either.

vCash
    doesnt even classify as sensationalist journalism
    that looks like a clueless rabid anti plushenko random "article"

vCash
    No wonder figure skating is "so popular" in Canada these days.

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    What a stupid question: "Can you kick his butt given half a chance?" Think Patrick answered that in the only way he could.

vCash
    I think Plushy won't skate at all.. But he's getting lots of press LOL!

(And I am probably wrong and he will skate but I kind of hope he doesn't. IT's not always good to let us see the athletes compete at the end of their career and considering the fact we can't see

vCash
    "He can still do all his jumps, which is pretty good for someone who’s — what? — 36, 37 years old.’’

LOL Chan saying Plushenko is 36 or 37.

It would be good for him to compete but it's just not medically advisable.

vCash
    Just from the OP, I won't bother reading (yet another) hateful article directed toward Plushenko. I am sure he is taking care of his body by not competing.

vCash
    OMG! What a stupid and hateful article. I just understand why Plushy has so many haters in North -America. Because the Americans people read such stupid journalists. Shame. And Chan? I don't want to say what i'm thinking about him... Go Hanyu and Daisuke!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Many of us here have that reaction to Rosie DiManno.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/figure...season-dimanno
    The tall blond Russian, as compelling a character as any invented by Leo Tolstoy — vain, disdainful, imperious — considers himself too good to bother with the Grand Prix season whilst on a selective comeback trail aimed at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
    This is fiction,she and you don't know him. But who cares? The great men has haters, I learned it. I think Chan is more cocky,arrogant, and ill-mannered like Plush. After and before Vancouver I read several hateful and liar articles. But I think love of his fans -they are so many people all over the world- helped him get through the hard times.

Plushy! I hope you know this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h53_qvQjNM
    Last edited by lala; 12-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    This is fiction,she and you don't know him. But who cares? The great men has haters, I learned it. I think Chan is more cocky,arrogant, and ill-mannered like Plush. After and before Vancouver I read several hateful and liar articles. But I think love of his fans -they are so many people all over the world- helped him get through the hard times.
    If we don't know either of them personally, then we don't know for sure that they're cocky, arrogant and ill-mannered. But please, just ignore Rosie. Although it's easier said than done. I've tried to avoid her columns for years but somehow she just sneaks into my consciousness!!

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Is this actually printed in a paper somewhere? It should be archived for hater generations for years to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    If we don't know either of them personally, then we don't know for sure that they're cocky, arrogant and ill-mannered. But please, just ignore Rosie. Although it's easier said than done. I've tried to avoid her columns for years but somehow she just sneaks into my consciousness!!
    Thank you Alixana...

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    OMG! What a stupid and hateful article. I just understand why Plushy has so many haters in North -America. Because the Americans people read such stupid journalists. Shame. And Chan? I don't want to say what i'm thinking about him... Go Hanyu and Daisuke!
    I agree that this article is stupid and hateful. But it's not like Russian doesn't have a few yellow journalists of their own. (And at the moment, that is about the nicest term I can think of for Ms. DiManno. ) Aside from which, there ARE North American ubers of Plushenko, including several on this board. In fact, I honestly believe most North American posters may be like me, who have always admired Evgeni as a great athlete. We may not be convinced he is as a great an artist-on-ice as his ubers think he is, but that doesn't make us "haters," either. (And I'll join you in rooting for Dai! )
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Wow. SOMEONE is still not over Salt Lake City, are they?

This makes some of Plushy's most ardent haters on this board look like they worship the ground he walks on!

EDIT:

HA! No comment option. Guess someone knew they'd be copping it and chickened out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    HA! No comment option. Guess someone knew they'd be copping it and chickened out.
    You can love her or hate her, but Rosie is not one to chicken out. She has been to Afghanistan eight or nine times to report (primarily) about the treatment of women there. There is nothing she would enjoy more than a slew of comments, pro and con, about her column; an onslaught would prove her writing was provocative.

vCash
    Lysacek also intends to reverse his retirement (never formalized anyway) for Sochi in just over a year’s time and was kept off the Grand Prix circuit this year because of injury. Apart from those likely additions, Plushenko and Lysacek, the half-dozen men’s finalists here will likely compose the final flight of skaters at the next Olympic Games: Chan, a Japanese quartet of Daisuke Takahashi, the soaring teenager Yuzuru Hanyu, Takahiko Kozuka, and Tatsuki Machida, and Skate Canada victor Javier Fernandez of Spain.
    Yup, a final flight of eight skaters, four of them from the same country, and another who hasn't attempted a quadruple jump in competition since 2007 or so. The Star must be proud to have a reporter who is so knowledgeable about figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I agree that this article is stupid and hateful. But it's not like Russian doesn't have a few yellow journalists of their own. (And at the moment, that is about the nicest term I can think of for Ms. DiManno. ) Aside from which, there ARE North American ubers of Plushenko, including several on this board. In fact, I honestly believe most North American posters may be like me, who have always admired Evgeni as a great athlete. We may not be convinced he is as a great an artist-on-ice as his ubers think he is, but that doesn't make us "haters," either. (And I'll join you in rooting for Dai! )
    I don't think that the skating fans who don't like his skating are haters. I didn't speak about them. I read many comments from Americans people who were absolute uninformed about Plushy's career. But they were very hateful toward Plush. Yes, I'm uber, I know his all programs at competitions and in galas since 1996, I watched them many times, so I know what I'm talking about. The artistic impression is very subjectiv, you know. Who can adjudge it? The judges? Well, he got 75 6.0 most of them were artistry points.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast