vCash

Question For Test Chairs

Does anyone know if there is a table somewhere that lists the amount of time that should be allotted for each freestyle, MIF and dance test? We are getting bombarded with applications for our January test session and are trying to figure out what we can reasonably schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a table somewhere that lists the amount of time that should be allotted for each freestyle, MIF and dance test? We are getting bombarded with applications for our January test session and are trying to figure out what we can reasonably schedule.
    I am giving you the link for the rulebook; in here, you can see how much time is allotted for each kind of test. To save time, many test chairs will have multiple people testing pre preliminary moves on the ice at the same time. Since you will likely have at least 3 judges for MIF, you can have three people testing Prepre moves at the same time, since that test only requires 1 silver judge, and the elements don't take up that much room on the ice. I would recommend having 2 on the ice testing preliminary moves, since that test also only requires 1 silver level judge. You can even double up on skaters for pattern dances through the bronze level (those tests only require 1 silver level judge), as long as you have two dance partners, and they can start on the opposite ends of the rink. For prepre free, you can have three skaters test at a time since they don't do a program, just individual elements. The prepre free test also only requires 1 silver level judge. Doubling up on tests (or tripling at prepre) whenever you can REALLY helps save ice time.

Please let me know if you have any questions for me, I am happy to help as much as I can!

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2012-13...20eReaders.pdf

vCash
    Are you US Figure Skating? Or ISI, or another country?

If you're a US Figure Skating club, I'd also jump in and note I usually pad in an extra additional 1 minute for each dance test and 2 minutes for each MIF/FS test to allow time for skaters to enter/exit ice, and reskates. It tends to even out well in the end. Don't forget the Standard ice dance tests at Silver and above that have both partnered patterns and solo patterns.

Keep in mind if you have the dances take place two at a time, that some skaters/coaches use completely different music tracks for the dances and Skating WW3 could erupt over that...

Feel free to shoot me a message as well if you need assistance! I just organized a 90-test test session two weekends ago (86 after WDs), when we scheduled enough time originally contracted for our usually 40-50 tests. So I've been there!

vCash
    This booklet might be helpful: http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...st%20Chair.pdf

I've also seen up to 6 pre-pre tests on the ice at a time (as many as their were judges). It got crowded, and there was a collision, but judges just let the skaters restart the move without considering it a reskate. Most moves can be double paneled if you have enough judges- a friend did her intermediate that way and caught the other skater on an 'around the rink' move that they started on opposite sides of the rink. For diagonal across the rink moves, they just take turns, but the two tests end up taking less time than doing them all individually.

vCash
    Be sure to give your dance partner a break if you are having dance tests. Making him skate 50 dances in a row is hard! Start with the Intl/Gold and work down to the lower levels so he is fresh for higher tests. We always have food for our partners as they work hard and don't have time to go out and get something to eat. Wishing you much success!