Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Ah, that makes now;thank you for clarifying. And, yes, comparable hip surgeries tend to have longer recovery times. Hopefully, yours will eventually get better and allow you to get back to your previous level. Same for John Coughlin, although I hope he does take his time and doesn't push too hard. No matter how tempting Worlds look, it's not worth risking an Olympic season.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Tara said that the surgery "saved her" and that the hip was a "huge misconception" about why she quit skating. She also claimed that she knew she was "done" as soon as winning the medal and turning pro allowed her parents to be together again. So, the hip is not why she turned pro OR quit pro skating, unless she's lying about it.

I don't know why people don't listen when people who have had the surgery say that it is an extremely long and hard recovery, regardless what care you have, how elite of an athlete you are, how "bad" the tear was, etc. None of these things can speed up how fast your body heals, nor can it speed up building a season's worth of endurance. Two half-inch holes are made for the instrument and the camera. An instrument is probed deep into your hip, your bone is literally shaved off and your body has to have time to recuperate. It's not something you just bounce back from.

John being on a stationary bike is not that big of a deal. A stationary bike is not weight-bearing. Standing after the surgery is where you really have problems, in fact you are on crutches for at least 2 weeks to prevent any weight-bearing on the hip. Even up to 4 weeks it is very hard to stand or even skate easy stroking. Imagine the weight bearing while he is carrying another skater. I would be concerned for Caydee's safety.

This surgery will knock you out for an entire season. With a very high number of skaters having this surgery, how many have you heard of competing at nationals two months later? I feel bad for him but it is what it is.

vCash
    My SIL is a professional triathlete and had this surgery over the summer. It was 3 months before she was allowed to run again although she was allowed to swim and bike much earlier.

Leafy is correct. It is the weight-bearing that is the issue. It takes good while to even get mobile.

I think Denney and Coughlin are done for the season.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    I would agree that they are done for the season, I think the question should be: will they be ready for next season on time? I would imagine in an O year that one starts on programs earlier than in other years, like May perhaps? That's really not too far off, just near six months...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    John Coughlin's new blog post about his injury: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...e-Part-II.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    John Coughlin's new blog post about his injury: http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...e-Part-II.aspx
    Wow, arrogant. You're not the only guy in the world to face adversity, dude.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I thought his blog was well-written and offered his personal insights into how he is dealing with this latest injury setback. People will read into it whatever they want, I guess (just stating the obvious here).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I thought his blog was well-written and offered his personal insights into how he is dealing with this latest injury setback. People will read into it whatever they want, I guess (just stating the obvious here).
    I was slightly confused about the way he kept addressing doubters, then supporters, while also stating future goals, but in the end he came across as very honest and determined.

vCash
    While this is unfortunate, look at the bright side. This is not the Olympic year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I was slightly confused about the way he kept addressing doubters, then supporters, while also stating future goals, but in the end he came across as very honest and determined.
    I was too...

I felt like he wanted folks to "doubt" him so he can "prove them wrong" Didn't really matter IMHO.

vCash
    I actually enjoyed John's honest and open dialogue/blog, an insight into not only him, but others as well. I was thinking of Michelle Kwan in particular, and the stress fracture she sustained during the 1997/1998 Olympic Season. IIRC there was a camera following her around that season, leading up to the Olympics, and what I recall most was how calm & nonchalant Michelle was about her stress fracture. Per usual she was matter of fact, nothing fazed her, smiling with a calm resolve. That's one thing I really admired about Michelle, she never felt the need to talk about herself (never even having an official website), she let her skates do the talking. And so it went with the stress fracture. She was better than ever at that Olympics (which I thought she should have won) as well as at Nationals.

Anyhow, it's interesting how athletes deal with adversity.

Another good example, Nancy Kerrigan, a truly heroic herculean fait accompli from 1994 Nationals to the Olympics. *bow*

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Agreed. It can't be easy to have one of the best seasons he's ever had as a skater with medals at the grand prix events end so suddenly. All athletes must be incredibly dedicated to their training and their goals, and this has to have thrown him for a bit of a loop. But I think this journal did a good job of describing the personal motivation he feels as well as his own attempts to keep his motivation under difficult circumstances. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    What I read into it is that John is trying to convince himself (himself being "the doubters") but it's coming off a little too over-the-top. The way it goes on and on, with phrases that are really in-your-face, is more cringeworthy than typical athletic bravado, more than even Ashley Wagner saying "it's mine to lose". I get it, it's "you and Caydee against the world" but it's about as obnoxious as one of those couples who brags about how in love they are - what they say in public tends to mask private turmoil. I really do wish him well though, and hope he can come to terms with and be realistic about this injury. I'm sure they will be fine in one year, and if they don't make the Olympics then it wasn't meant to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    What I read into it is that John is trying to convince himself (himself being "the doubters") but it's coming off a little too over-the-top.
    He did mention this being hard on him and his own dreams, but also said
    There has been a line out the door and around the block waiting to tell me why not. I'm built the wrong way, got my foundation in a non-traditional skating city; too American, too affable and nonchalant; a smiling linebacker on ice.
    Unless John has a line of doubts of his own that goes out the door and around the block, that definitely sounds like he's talking about outsiders doubting him, as well. And, while his approach of Get behind us or get out of the way won't necessarily work for everyone out there, I for one appreciate the honesty behind his post. YMMV, as ever with athlete blogs .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345