Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

John Coughlin Out Due to Hip Surgery

Successful repair of a torn labrum was just done today! Needless to say, they are out for that matter, the rest of the season. Who will be the new US Champions? My money is on Castelli and Shnapir for now

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48740&type=media

(Edited out since the original post was corrected/edited.)

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Needless to say, they are out for that matter, the rest of the season.
    That could be, but the press release doesn't say that.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48740&type=media

(Denney/Coughlin were first alternates to the GP Final.)
    Yes, thanks Sylvia, I forgot that.

vCash
    Successful repair of a torn labrum was just done today! Needless to say, they are out for that matter, the rest of the season. Who will be the new US Champions? My money is on Castelli and Shnapir for now
    When did all this happen? He didn't seem to be struggling during the GP season.

Anyway, I hope he'll have a full recovery, even though D/C are hardly favorites of mine.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    US pairs this season

(((John))) Here's wishing a speedy recovery.

Can we convince Mary Beth Marley to come back with Rockne? Pleeeeeeeease? They still have their bye to Nats, right?

That having been said, it's a great opportunity for both Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff to step up and seize the moment.

vCash
    This will be yet another example of USFS needing to update their rules to take into account injuries involving their top athletes. Because of the bad timing of this surgery, it doesn't seem like D/C could being ready for Nationals, but they'd probably be more than fine for Worlds. Granted, we could send C/S and S/K to Worlds and probably not do that badly (especially considering the field just isn't very deep in pairs), but it's certainly not a great idea to not send your clear top team if they are healthy and ready. Ugh.

vCash
    As far as I know, the Worlds team for 2013 hasn't been named yet, so theoretically D/C could still be on it. They may or may not be named, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them as 1st alternates, especially since they are one of only 3 US teams to make the minimum score. At least the 3rd place team (if C/S and S/K are 1-2) will have a chance to make the Worlds min score at 4CC, just in case....of course its always possible they don't make it :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    As far as I know, the Worlds team for 2013 hasn't been named yet, so theoretically D/C could still be on it. They may or may not be named, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them as 1st alternates, especially since they are one of only 3 US teams to make the minimum score. At least the 3rd place team (if C/S and S/K are 1-2) will have a chance to make the Worlds min score at 4CC, just in case....of course its always possible they don't make it :/
    Yes, USFS has a history of tinkering with alternate positions, and as you mentioned, we barely have any pairs that have met the min score anyway. USFS might be forced to become more flexible in how they select teams now that there are minimum scores and whatnot.

But the actual teams seem to always get named right at Nationals. So I'd be pretty shocked if D/C made the team, or if USFS left the second spot vacant until later to see if D/C could prove readiness in time (which is what should happen if our country is interested in trying to send its best possible team).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    This will be yet another example of USFS needing to update their rules to take into account injuries involving their top athletes.
    The selection rules are updated for this type of situation, AFAIK (i.e., Belbin/Agosto in 2008-09). But it's too early to assume that "they'd probably be more than fine for Worlds."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This will be yet another example of USFS needing to update their rules to take into account injuries involving their top athletes. Because of the bad timing of this surgery, it doesn't seem like D/C could being ready for Nationals, but they'd probably be more than fine for Worlds. Granted, we could send C/S and S/K to Worlds and probably not do that badly (especially considering the field just isn't very deep in pairs), but it's certainly not a great idea to not send your clear top team if they are healthy and ready. Ugh.
    First of all, I'm pretty sure skaters can get a medical bye for US Nats; Belbin and Agosto did a few years back. Not that it matters, since this is a serious injury and the odds of their being ready for competition in March are slim to none. I don't know if John was in as bad a shape as Alissa Czisny, but I believe that's the same surgery that she had in June, and she's still not competing. Their goal has to be for him to recover so that they can be in good shape for 2013-14.

vCash
    I dont see anyway they would get a bye. I am not saying they shouldnt, but I couldnt see it. I cant recall a case the USFSA gave a bye to someone who wasnt a past World medalist, and most cases a current World medalist. Even though they are clearly the best U.S pair, they still are only a 7th or 8th ranked team in the World at best, and I cant recall that kind of skater(s) getting a bye ever before. Well I could see them being named as an alternate, and then maybe one of the remaining teams being pressured to withdraw, who knows.

vCash
    I would favor Castelli & Shnapir for sure.

vCash
    Holy Cow, shocked to see this announcement!

Totally flummoxed and saddened.

Honestly, I had high hopes for them and C/S at Worlds, now that's all dashed to pieces. Because imho these are the only two American pair teams, *currently*, that are world class. Lol I was even hoping they would obtain some combination of 13 at Worlds (i.e. 5+8 or 6+7). So so sad...

On the plus side, hoping against hope they will be ready for Worlds and be named to the team. However, that's really wishful thinking, unless they're able to compete at 4CC and show that they're ready to compete. But, I don't think so, because despite how dominant they are, they're no Michelle Kwan. Only she could sustain an injury, skip Nationals, and still be named to the team, rightfully so. Those days are long gone. In fact I don't think they even allow such a provision anymore?

Wow, this is really going to be an interesting Nationals for pairs ~ the field is literally wide open! Truly a rare opportunity for one of the lesser teams to grab a medal, except of course C/S. It will honestly come down to who really wants it? For me, I'm hoping that D/S get their act together and bring back their old consistency on the throw jumps, but am worried because this season they've had all sorts of problems with new elements being added to the entrances of their throws, as well as the BODS being MIA.

Then there's Mark Ladwig and his new partner, Lindsay Davis, as well as Tiffany Vise and her partner John Baldwin. Even Tiffany's been having trouble with her sbs jumps, etc., which she used to be so consistent on, hmmm.

It's too bad John Couglin's old partner hasn't had any success with her new partnership because she herself is exquisite.

Finally, this will be a great opportunity for Caydee's little sister and her partner to medal at Senior Nationals their first time out.

On a sad note, I betcha Rockne Brubaker is kicking himself for not having a steady longtime partner yet, one whom will not quit on him when the going gets rough...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The selection rules are updated for this type of situation, AFAIK (i.e., Belbin/Agosto in 2008-09). But it's too early to assume that "they'd probably be more than fine for Worlds."
    Was that just because of Belbin/Agosto being World medalists or could it be applied to any top US skater? Full recovery from surgery for a torn hip labrum can be as short as two months, so that's why I mentioned Worlds, and used the word "probably". Maybe he wouldn't make it back in time, but it would still be nice for him to have a chance.

vCash
    Wow.

Now calling Coughlin, Czisny, and Kwan for the first recruits for a synchro team composed of torn labrum veterans.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Athletes with similar surgeries are usually out 4-6 months! The article does not say much, but their season is likely over.

vCash
    One last note, how bad is this type of hip injury?

Because I'm thinking Caydee should team with Rockne asap. She's just barely short enough for him at 5'1" tall.

Don't get me wrong, I think John & Caydee are the perfect pairing, and have said so numerous times in the past, but one has to think long term, the future...

vCash
    Really?

He'd be fine by Worlds. Hmm... Cziny had the same type of surgery in June 2012 and she's still not competing.

Chances of them being "healthy and ready" with surgery NOW seem slim. Risks of racing him back seem high IMHO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Athletes with similar surgeries are usually out 4-6 months! The article does not say much, but their season is likely over.
    I think the rehab itself requires about two-three months, so IMO they won't be able to be ready for worlds, especially because they are scheduled to happen quite early this season.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Was that just because of Belbin/Agosto being World medalists or could it be applied to any top US skater? Full recovery from surgery for a torn hip labrum can be as short as two months, so that's why I mentioned Worlds, and used the word "probably". Maybe he wouldn't make it back in time, but it would still be nice for him to have a chance.
    I believe any top skater or team that misses Nationals due to injury or illness can submit a petition to be considered for World (or Olympic) team selection during Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    I think the rehab itself requires about two-three months, so IMO they won't be able to be ready for worlds, especially because they are scheduled to happen quite early this season.
    Does the length of rehab depend on the type of tear in the labrum? (I am assuming some tears are worse than others.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast