vCash

vCash
    Listening to "Time Out" Right now. RIP

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Aww, that's sad. And I was just listening to his Christmas album about half an hour ago!

I saw him live at the jazz festival about 10 years ago, and it was one of the best concerts ever.

RIP Dave.

vCash
    My introduction to jazz at the age of 11. I'm going to fire up Blue Rondo in tribute.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Great musician and all around good guy--RIP

vCash
    Another music legend gone.
    Thank you, Mr. Brubeck.

RIP

vCash
    Just read this news on CNN:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12...-91/?hpt=hp_t3

The first time I heard Dave Brubek it was Shishkova-Naumov skating their 1992 SP to 'Take five'. After that, I got hooked on his music, particularly Take Five which is one of my all time favorites.

RIP

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Saw him a few years back when he reunited some of the original bandmates for a concert tour. Just amazing. His sons are no slackers,either. R.I.P., Maestro.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    ^ I heard a vocal version of "Take Five" not that long ago with one of his sons singing. Can't remember much about the lyrics, but they were kind of scat-ish iirc (not as in poo, but as in scat singing, obviously!).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The first time I heard Dave Brubek it was Shishkova-Naumov skating their 1992 SP to 'Take five'. After that, I got hooked on his music, particularly Take Five which is one of my all time favorites.
    I remember that routine! Also Lu Chen's from 97-98, one of the best women's short programs of that decade IMO.

vCash
    The Pacific Northwest Ballet has a piece called "Take Five, More or Less". It uses Take Five, Blue Rondo and Strange Meadowlark.

Here are a couple of clips of rehearsals (one doesn't have the music), but they don't do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHhjf7bmSMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hr3GXmkQE

The portion of the piece with the drum solo, which is danced by "red", is amazing. The percussive drums, and the timing and punch required by the dancer is breathtaking. I can't wait to get another chance to see it live.

vCash
    Happened to see the news about Brubeck's passing while at work today. Feels as if it's the end of an era somehow. Time Out was one of the first albums my mom ever bought for my sister and me when I was in junior highschool 'way back in 1970 or thereabouts (on vinyl at 33-1/3 rpm). Love "Strange Meadow Lark" about the most of all of his work, though "Take Five" (which was composed by alto sax player the late Paul Desmond) is iconic, of course. (Loved Shiskova & Naumov's SP to that tune!) Also enjoyed his many takes on "St. Louis Blues" over the years. Never got to see or hear him in person, but could always recognize his music no matter where it was played. Have a feeling he and Desmond are jamming up in Heaven right now!

Hope that in the future some skaters explore more of his music beyond merely "Take Five". There's a lot of great stuff of his besides that one song.

RIP, Dave. Thanks for all the terrific, mind-expanding music!