vCash

Jeremy Abbott/Kristy Krall

RELAX!!! It's not the case however I think that he needs her help. I have to say that Jeremy's skating has not equaled or surpassed the level it was at during his Tom Z. day's. I think that Krall would be a great choice for him. Am I alone?

vCash
    I think his 2010 and 2012 Nationals performances surpassed his Tom Z days by a lot!

vCash
    I think when a skater has had the same problems for years, it's more than something a coaching change will fix. It is up to the skater to fix it. In Jeremy's case, it's his mental preparation and the implementation of his talent on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think when a skater has had the same problems for years, it's more than something a coaching change will fix. It is up to the skater to fix it. In Jeremy's case, it's his mental preparation and the implementation of his talent on the ice.
    So valid!
    I do think that his jumps, spins look worse to be honest. The jumps are not as high but they are consistent in practice up to quad toe. Still, the between the ear component is almost always beyond the reach of the coach. Thanks for your point!

vCash
    Without personally knowing a skater it is hard to tell. It is possible that nerves do him in and cause him to tighten up during the big events. It is also possible that nerves cause him to overtrain before big events, or he gets overconfident after a good result and doesn't train enough.

Maybe he just isn't physically capable of sustaining top performance at event after event. It's not easy at that level. It seems as If he is trying everything. He tried the cocky approach at 2011 Nationals and ended up not making the team. He is now trying to do back-to-back triple axels to make up for his unpredictable quads.

Wasn't Tom Z. His coach when he had that perfect skate at Nats and then fell apart a month later at the Olympics? I think he has followed that pattern with Yuka as well.

Doing jumps in practice is not the same as doing them in the long program.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 12-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post

Wasn't Tom Z. His coach when he had that perfect skate at Nats and then fell apart a month later at the Olympics? I think he has followed that pattern with Yuka as well.
    No, that was his first season with Yuka.

A similar thing did happen in 2009 with Tom Z, though. He won the GPF and Nationals, only to finish 10th at worlds due to several failed axels.

vCash
    I think the problem is definitely with Jeremy's nerves. A coach can only do so much in that department. He's had the same problems with different coaches.

vCash
    I think, as much as Jeremy is a beautiful skater, there comes a time when one has to look away from the coaches and start looking at the "common denominator" - the skater themselves. It's a shame. Maybe some sessions with a sports psychologist would help?

vCash
    Jeremy admits in interviews to working with Sports Psychologists regularly for years.

He's my favorite male singles skater, but I think he's at the point where his body can't handle the higher level of training required now. The back issues that caused him problems summer of 2011, 4CC 2012, and the GP series this year seem to have affected his jumps. spins, training and competition readiness.

Add that to his focus issues....

I think Yuka has done a lot with him as far as focus in a program, performance quality and overall artistry. But- she can't turn back the clock and make him younger, she can't heal his back, and she can't give him a more resilient nervous system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I think, as much as Jeremy is a beautiful skater, there comes a time when one has to look away from the coaches and start looking at the "common denominator" - the skater themselves. It's a shame. Maybe some sessions with a sports psychologist would help?
    And even then, it's up to the skater to take control of the moment and do what he's learned. I suppose that it truly is the skaters responsibility to make it work