Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    You shall get no rodomontades from me about my conversance with recondite morphemes.

vCash

I don't like this game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    You shall get no rodomontades from me about my conversance with recondite morphemes.
    Did you copy-paste that from an ISU communication?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Did you copy-paste that from an ISU communication?
    I can homologate that.

vCash

vCash
    36,400. I guess I should be reading more 19th century fiction -- or have taken another year of Latin in high school. Uxoricide? For as unfortunately frequent a crime that seems to be, I have never encountered that word before. Fratricide, matricide, patricide, yes, but uxoricide? Never! Of course, I've never come across mariticide, either.

While the survey asked for my year of birth, gender, and whether I read fiction, it didn't ask about educational level attained.
    ETA: Yes, that last column was !
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Darn it, PRlady -- I didn't have time for this tonight, but I can't pass up a vocabulary quiz! The curse of the English major. I got 34,700.
    I got 37,700 and was disappointed in myself. If I went back and gave myself more credit -- I said no on any word I wasn't really sure of -- I could have upped it a bit.

My BFF from high school who sent it to me, and who basically reads five books a week because she's a wealthy wife, was over 40,000. So yet again I am in competition with my oldest friend and lose.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Are similar tests available in other languages?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    34,500. Somehow, I am perfectly ok with not knowing uxoricide or pretty much any of the latin words in the last category. I was laughing at how many words I did know from reading historical romances.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    37,400 .. and yes, reading Georgette Heyer did help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    If I went back and gave myself more credit -- I said no on any word I wasn't really sure of -- I could have upped it a bit.
    I did the same. See where honesty gets us??
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Beach Bum
    vCash
    39,000. 2 years of Latin and Greek & Latin roots of English helped.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    31,600 and I'm feeling quite stoopid. I don't read fiction at all (well, since required reading in college) so I'm thinking that hurt me. And the words that I thought I knew, I looked up and most of the time I was wrong. I used to be really good at vocabulary. I guess it's a use it or lose it thing, plus age =

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    36,400. I guess I should be reading more 19th century fiction -- or have taken another year of Latin in high school. Uxoricide? For as unfortunately frequent a crime that seems to be, I have never encountered that word before. Fratricide, matricide, patricide, yes, but uxoricide? Never!
    Now see, if you read romance novels, you would have come across the word uxorious (doting upon, foolishly fond of, or affectionately submissive toward one's wife) many times and it would have been easy to figure uxoricide out.

How odd that you weren't asked for educational attainment. I was asked how many years of college I had up to four, and then if I had gotten a degree after my bachelor's, with several options to choose from.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn226 View Post
    Are similar tests available in other languages?
    French: http://www.abyssum.com/Mesmots
    Japanese: http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/lirg/r.../goi-test.html

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Now see, if you read romance novels, you would have come across the word uxorious (doting upon, foolishly fond of, or affectionately submissive toward one's wife) many times and it would have been easy to figure uxoricide out.
    I still would have guessed something tangential, but wrong. Meh.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Considering that I only took a two year course during highschool I think it is a pretty good score.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

How odd that you weren't asked for educational attainment. I was asked how many years of college I had up to four, and then if I had gotten a degree after my bachelor's, with several options to choose from.
    I went back to the test to grab some of the words listed so that I could make a comment on the above about how we read different romance novels (because mine seem to have alot more sex words and alot less doting) and I checked none of the words on the first page. The second page had a whole bunch of simple words. So I continued, checking nothing. The third page asked me nothing more than the English as a first language question, age and sex. So it's modifying based on how you do on the first page.

vCash
    I find historical romances to be a great source for WWF.
    I know strop from reading Barbara Cartland. It was one of those books where Beau Brummell was hanging out. It seems his toillette took a few hours, and I remember his manservant sharpening a razor on a strop. Too bad the test didn't have cravat, fustian, or ton. I would have scored higher.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I know strop from reading Barbara Cartland. It was one of those books where Beau Brummell was hanging out. It seems his toillette took a few hours, and I remember his manservant sharpening a razor on a strop. Too bad the test didn't have cravat, fustian, or ton. I would have scored higher.
    I sent it around my organization today -- just the Americans, Brits, Canadians and Australians. The few people who replied were like, what the HELL were those words? Not a lot of romance novel readers in that crowd, I think.

So far I've outscored my colleagues which is good for my job security.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast