Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Americans living there should absolutely just get a compatible card. Why make life more difficult . Your bank charges for ATMs that are not affiliated with your bank, even in the US.
    If you have to use an ATM to get cash overseas, expect to pay a fee of about $10 for each transaction. I recommend getting the maximum amount allowed on your card with one transaction so that you can avoid paying the transaction fee very often. My bank's maximum daily limit at an ATM is $300.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    If you have to use an ATM to get cash overseas, expect to pay a fee of about $10 for each transaction. I recommend getting the maximum amount allowed on your card with one transaction so that you can avoid paying the transaction fee very often. My bank's maximum daily limit at an ATM is $300.
    ANd that is in addition to the exchange fee and the obvious exchange rate = less (for the Euro and Pound, anyway).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    ANd that is in addition to the exchange fee and the obvious exchange rate = less (for the Euro and Pound, anyway).
    Wow, $10 seems ridiculous! I'm thankful that my bank reimburses the fees at the end of the month.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Another tip re money if you travel frequently to a place with different currency is to have a bank account and credit card in that currency. I'm Canadian but have a USD bank account and credit card, and it saves me a ton when travelling, and shopping online - no fees whatsoever. Check with your bank to see if you can do something similar with the Euro or wherever you find yourself.

vCash
    Here's the solution to money/credit cards I used over the summer in London. I never had any problem using my Visa (although it was many at Olympic venues, restaurants, and tourist sites). I got a Capital One venture card that has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, and a rewards program. Like I said, I never had any problem although sometimes I had to tell them it was a "swipe."

As far as ATMs, I have an online savings account with HSBC. They have branches in the US (although nowhere near where I live) and the UK. So I didn't have to pay any ATM fees to get cash out.

Again, these solutions may be UK/London-oriented, but it's something to think about.

garden freak
    vCash
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Just thought of one indispensable thing that I bring on all trips - a pair of cashmere socks. If I can keep my feet warm, I'm warm.
    Ooooh! WHERE can I get a pair of these??
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
    How very Oscar Wild of you

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456