Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    I find the taste of Brita water yucky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Odd, that -- I just assumed that Heys USA would have a similar same product as Heys Canada, but it doesn't look like they do.

I bought mine from The Shopping Channel in Canada, but I just checked and they don't ship to the US either.

BTW I filled mine last night in preparation for a weekend trip, and it is just as nifty as can be. My new favourite travel toy!
    Totally unfair! I'm jealous!

I also bring needles and different colored threads. The duct tape idea is great! I had a suitcase zipper go and had to run out to buy a cheap suitcase 2 hours before a flight back from AZ.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I find the taste of Brita water yucky.

Brita doesn't add anything to water, it only subtracts -- chlorine, minerals, etc. The only possible way it could make water "yucky" is if you like the taste of chlorine.

But each to their own ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    My own microfleece blanket for the plane -- don't even touch the ones they provide you!
    Do US airlines still have freebie blankets & pillows? I know you can't get them on Air Canada unless you buy them -- and then of course they're new, and you get to keep them. Can't remember about Westjet. And I haven't flown any airline other than those 2 for a long time.

I do remember when they did give out blankets, though, they were in a bag that looked like it had come straight from some kind of cleaner. But seriously, if you're going to start thinking about that ... think about the seats. How often do you think they're cleaned?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ~ this really cool travel organizer -- insert your clothes in the shelves, collapse to pack into your suitcase, then when you get to your destination just lift out and hang (I just got this one recently and am looking forward to trying it out on my next trip -- got one as a present for my mother too)
    Let us know how you like it, as I very tempted to buy that. I often have travel where I am going to multiple locations and it is such a pain to have to repack over and over again. I have a trip to Europe coming up where I am going to probably have about 10 hotel rooms in 18 days and was not looking forward to repacking every couple of days. This could be the solution.

I'll post what I travel with in a bit, I really should be working right now .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I also tear out all the pages for the city that I'm currently visiting. I do feel bad about ruining my guide book, but a guide book that cover an entire country, ie Lonely Planet, is just too darn big and clumsy to carry around with me all day when all I need to reference are the several pages for my current city.

if you use lonely planet guidebooks, you can actually buy just the chapter you need online. i do this, then throw out the pages i've seen as i've visited them, so they're not so heavy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    if you use lonely planet guidebooks, you can actually buy just the chapter you need online. i do this, then throw out the pages i've seen as i've visited them, so they're not so heavy.
    Oh that is a good idea. I actually have been using The Rough Guide for the past three years, but maybe I'll get back to using LP again.

vCash
    I use an small film camera case for all my adaptors. It is just the right size and keeps everything right at hand. Yes, when I get to a new hotel room my first move is to find the outlets, then plug in all the chargers. I carry a universal adaptor, as well.

vCash
    Since I am too tired to type out a list, see these websites for just some of the uses of this miracle tape.

http://www.wanderplex.com/2011/05/12...your-vacation/
    http://www.duckbrand.com/Solutions/s...companion.aspx
    http://gobudgettravel.com/budget-tra...n-your-travels
    http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal...-when-you-tra/

I like to shop for duct tape at Walmart. They have a variety of colors, and I have even found Hello Kitty duct tape there.

vCash
    Scissors
    A spare wristwatch
    Flashlight and batteries
    A book (just in case I feel like reading, while waiting for a flight)
    Non-perishable food (e.g.cookies, granola bars)
    A copy of my passport

vCash
    Love the neon duct tape for luggage ID. I use scraps of neon lycra. Left over from the skating days. I tie scraps of different colors to both handles - no one else's looks like mine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Since I am too tired to type out a list, see these websites for just some of the uses of this miracle tape.
    And don't forget its uses if your plane crashes and you get stranded on a desert island! Jamie & Adam were able to use duct tape to make shoes, carry water, catch food, build a camp, and I can't remember what all else. Of course they had a few hundred rolls to work with ... might put you over the weight limit on your luggage.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I always bring allergy pills. I'm allergic to feathers and don't always remember to check the pillows to see if any are feather pillows. Benedryl helps me to sleep on long flights.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    All depends on where I'm traveling to - if it's my mother-in-laws I take scotch. Lots and lots of scotch.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Is that such a good idea? I thought you only ever got antibiotics for particular conditions and they should be prescribed by a doctor for what the ailment is. Is there such thing as an all purpose antibiotic?
    If you are going to a remote country, you definitely should take antibiotics with you. When we went to South Africa, per our doctor's advice we took Cipro because it is a pretty broad spectrum drug used to treat many kinds of bacterial infections. When we got to Africa to meet up with our daughter who was doing an internship there, she was very sick with an unknown stomach ailment for days and we gave her the Cipro to take. She had seen a doctor but they couldn't figure out what she had. There are tons of diseases one could get there. In the end she later determined that she and 3 other interns must have eaten some food contaminated with salmonella (their refrigerator had stopped working for 2 days). At any rate, she got better within a week.

The other drug we took with us was Zolpidem (same as Ambien) for sleeping. I took one pill on the longest flight (11 hours London-to-Capetown) of our two days of flying, and I slept great for 8 hours. It enabled me to be right on track with the time zone changes since we landed in the early morning. No jet lag at all. You have to have a full 8 hours to sleep though since that sleeping medicine knocks you out.

I also always take ear plugs with me when I travel. It makes it possible to sleep in a noisy airplane, noisy accomodations, and with a snoring partner.

Other good items to have with you are electrical convertors that fit the plugs in the countries you'll be visiting. I bought a travel hair dryer that runs on different voltages so that I can use it in the U.S as well as other continents.

And last but not least, take a little of your own laundry supplies so you can get by in a pinch. You can always wash your underwear in a sink with a little powdered soap and hang it up to dry overnight. A small clothes line and clothes pins are handy if you have room for them in your luggage. When we traveled in South Africa, none of the houses we rented had dryers and only a couple had washers. We packed lightly and did not take many changes of clothes, so we had to do laundry every few days.

I agree with the other posters who suggested taking extra copies of passports and other important travel documents. You never know when your valuables might be stolen or lost, and having those copies will make replacement much easier.

If you have not done so already, check with your phone carrier about paying for international calling for the time period you'll be gone. It is pretty cheap (e.g. $5/month) and may come in handy if you are in an emergency situation. While we were in Africa, we used our daughter's local phone (similar to a Go Phone) that she bought cheaply in Africa, and it was perfect for making hotel reservations while driving around the country. Also consider getting travel insurance to cover the unexpected.

vCash
    When traveling to a foreign country, I like to take several forms of currency so that at least one of them will work. I usually take a major credit card (VISA or MasterCard), some US cash, some traveler's checks, and my checkbook. I sometimes exchange a little bit of currency for foreign currency at the airport, so that I can pay for a taxi or food right away when I get to my destination. My preferred method of payment is always a credit card, because they get better exchange rates than you will at a bank while travelling, and there's fraud protection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    My preferred method of payment is always a credit card, because they get better exchange rates than you will at a bank while travelling, and there's fraud protection.
    I think this will depend on the country you're visiting. I just came back from India recently, and all the guide books suggest avoiding using credit card for transactions unless you're using it at very swanky 5 stars hotels.

vCash
    I think this will depend on the country you're visiting. I just came back from India recently, and all the guide books suggest avoiding using credit card for transactions unless you're using it at very swanky 5 stars hotels.
    Not to mention that so many places in India don't even take credit cards. I don't think I used mine once in the 3 weeks I was there.

Even more developed countries can prove problematic with credit cards. When I travel in the UK I usually stay in B&Bs, and probably less than half take credit cards. Lots of smaller independent restaurants don't either, esp. when you get away from major centres.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Let us know how you like it, as I very tempted to buy that. I often have travel where I am going to multiple locations and it is such a pain to have to repack over and over again. I have a trip to Europe coming up where I am going to probably have about 10 hotel rooms in 18 days and was not looking forward to repacking every couple of days. This could be the solution.
    Well, a definite thumbs up on the Hey's Jetpack travel organizer. It works a treat. It does of course add a small amount of weight, and takes up on its own probably about the size of a pair of jeans. But so convenient. I can't wait to use it for a longer trip.

One caveat though: you do actually need a place to hang it! If you're staying at your cousin's house who has her guest room closet crammed with all her extra clothes ... well, not quite so useful then.

vCash
    Agreed with that advice. But FWIW a few years ago my boss at the time was in Colombia with one credit card, and for some reason the hotel she was at couldn't process the transaction. It took a lot of panicky and $$$ phone calls to our workplace to get the hotel paid some other way (I think that the finance dept at work ended up wiring the money to the hotel). Since then she has always travelled with two credit cards, each a different brand, just in case.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast