vCash

Higher free leg in spiral

Hello first post in this part of the forum but I am hoping to get advice on getting a higher free leg in my spiral. I can do the splits on the floor but its much harder to do while standing. Should I work on over splits or is it more about core strength?

vCash
    Practice your spirals off and on the ice as much as possible. Definitely try to work up the strength in your lower back, and your core.

vCash
    And your rear end as well! Those glutes work hard to hold up your leg.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Splits tend to translate more into hand-assisted spirals. Flexibility comes into play, definitely, but in the end your core, lower back and butt muscles (like everyone already mentioned) are what holds up your spiral. One thing that helped for me was doing them from a sideways t-stop in front of the mirror so that way I could see where they would stop and what I needed to work on in order to improve them.

vCash
    I found this for off ice exercises: http://performersadvantage.com/pages/Spiral_Exercises

vCash
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I will work on glute strength then. Especially appreciate the exercises provided. Again thank you and hope to have a better arabesque soon.

vCash
    Don't forget to work on the arch in your back as well. I've seen spirals with a nice high free leg but the back is totally straight and more or less pointing downward--very unattractive!! Cobra pose can help with this, as will any back strength you can add.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.