Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Skating 'queen' Kim set to return (Threads merged)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...a190c02852.8a1
    SEOUL — South Korean figure skating star Kim Yu-Na will make her competitive return to the ice in Germany this weekend, ending a break of more than 18 months from the sport, her management agency said.

The reigning Olympic champion, 22, will take part in the NRW Trophy in Dortmund, chasing the points she needs to qualify for next year's world championships in Canada, her agency, All That Sports, said.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Good luck Yuna.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    i never really got that hype around yu-na although i see her as an excellent skater (especially clashing into the seniors scene 2006/2007 with great progammes), but i can´t help myself for just being excited and enthusiastic about her return now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    i never really got that hype around yu-na although i see her as an excellent skater (especially clashing into the seniors scene 2006/2007 with great progammes), but i can´t help myself for just being excited and enthusiastic about her return now
    I'm in the same boat. I think she benefited from being consistent in 2009-2010 and having a reliable difficult combination in the short and long. She is a good skater and a beautiful girl but I dont get the over hype.

vCash
    Yay!

vCash
    I don't get the hype over her either (except in Korea, obviously), but Yu na's return will raise the standard of ladies skating overnight.

vCash
    Another article (I will cross-post in the NRW Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Yu na's return will raise the standard of ladies skating overnight.
    Maybe that's where the hype comes from then.

Except I don't think it will. She's been out of it for a while and the gals I saw on the GP circuit were all doing triple-triples and 2X-triple, which you didn't see a few years ago w hen Yuna was winning everything.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

Except I don't think it will. She's been out of it for a while and the gals I saw on the GP circuit were all doing triple-triples and 2X-triple, which you didn't see a few years ago w hen Yuna was winning everything.
    Oh, for sure.

Like, half of them are doing triple toe-triple toe, while 2/3 of the other half had edge calls or under rotation for their 3 lip 3 toe or 3 flutz 3 toe. About 1/6 of those girls/laides had reliable difficult triple combo.

How competitive they are! We should give them more hype!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McIce View Post
    Like, half of them are doing triple toe-triple toe, while 2/3 of the other half had edge calls or under rotation for their 3 lip 3 toe or 3 flutz 3 toe. About 1/6 of those girls/laides had reliable difficult triple combo.
    This. Kim has never had issues with edge calls or underrotations that a lot of female skaters are struggling with.

vCash
    It is the presence of Kim, I think, that all the excitements are coming from. You see someone like Yuna, Carolina, or Joannie compete at the scene, that would add up the excitement all the way, wouldn't it? But it should be also noted that Yuna was the one who settled the winning formula with difficult 3-3s in ladies field during her entire career, and she did it with inarguable artistry combined. What she accomplished on her way to Vancouver was just magic.

vCash
    After her breathtaking 3/3, there was little about her skating that excited me. I hope she is prepared to abdicate or be dethroned. I admire, though, her finding the motivation needed to put herself through this when she could well rest on her past laurels, especially when she has said she does not relish competing. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for her to take this risk.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    To add spark to the debate, a vBet
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...er-vs-Yuna-Kim

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for the info, Sugar. I've always liked Yuna; her artistry, style, and impeccable jumps. Looking forward to seeing her again.

Thanks, UMBS Go Blue!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Very interesting! You're the king of the betting and wagering

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

The 3-3's we saw at the GPs were mostly 3t-3t. How many are landing clean 3Lz3t? May be Liza and Adelina, but they don't have the artistry yet, and they are not consistently landing the 3Lz3t either. If Yu na is capable of landing a 3Lz combination (even a 3-2) and land most of the jumps she was landing 2 years ago, she will be tough to beat. She does not have the ur or the edge problems many of her competitors have. Artistically only Mao and Carolina can compete with her, but neither is a strong jumper at this point. Yu na is certainly beatable, but her presence alone will make other skaters try to raise their level of skating.

Also, I don't think she will attempt a comeback if she did not believe that she could win. I don't think she is coming back to win silver or bronze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The 3-3's we saw at the GPs were mostly 3t-3t. How many are landing clean 3Lz3t?
    Quite a few actually. Not only Liza and Adelina. Julia Lipnitskaia, Gracie Gold, Kostner has 3F-3T, didn't Osmond have it too?

vCash
    ^ Adelina and Julia are having edge problems, and Carolina hasn't landed 3f-3t in quite a while

vCash
    At Worlds 2011 Yu-na did not do a 3/3 in the short program. She had one ur at Worlds 2010 and at worlds 2009 she had an edge call in the short as well as in the long and also a ur in the long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    At Worlds 2011 Yu-na did not do a 3/3 in the short program. She had one ur at Worlds 2010 and at worlds 2009 she had an edge call in the short as well as in the long and also a ur in the long.
    That *cough*dubious*cough* edge problem was resolved in just one season and who doesn't have URs from time to time when they're off balance in the jumps? It's constant, chronicle URs that becomes the issue for skaters i.e., Mirai and Mao. All in all, I don't get your point here.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast