Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    I use basmati rice and follow the package directions, perfect every time. On its own, as a pilaf, for Mexican rice, all good.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    That's too bad. How do they suck? Rice too dry, too wet?
    Too wet. We had a rice cooker thread a while ago and I excitedly bought one, then another and all I ever got was mushy, wet goo.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Too wet. We had a rice cooker thread a while ago and I excitedly bought one, then another and all I ever got was mushy, wet goo.
    Too wet? Try cutting back on the water about by about 1/4 of a cup.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Easier to just make it on the stove top. I usually walked away when I turned on the burner and got involved with something so the water boiled over. I don't do that now.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Potatoes all nicely shaken with "fuzz" in the oven right now... I'm excited

vCash
    Report, please, on how they turn out. I love oven roasted potatoes; they are my family's potato for thanksgiving, not mashed potatoes.

vCash
    Rice secret: Cook it in the oven, covered. No muss, no fuss, and 45 minutes to one hour later you have perfect rice. I cook anywhere from a very small casserole's worth for 2 people up to rice for a dozen (which takes a little longer). The casserole dish is easier to wash, and I can serve right from it at the table. (You might need less time; I'm at some considerable altitude.)

What I can't do: rolled cookies in any shape other than round. How people get those elaborate cookie cutter shapes off the board and onto the cookie sheet -- intact -- is a mystery. And -- assembling gingerbread houses. My temptation is to build one from legos, and then glue gingerbread to it, because otherwise my gingerbread houses look like post-earthquake red-tagged specials.

And candy. Got my candy thermometer -- but no success in finding a conversion chart for what temps I should look for at this altitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Rice secret: Cook it in the oven, covered. No muss, no fuss, and 45 minutes to one hour later you have perfect rice. I cook anywhere from a very small casserole's worth for 2 people up to rice for a dozen (which takes a little longer). The casserole dish is easier to wash, and I can serve right from it at the table. (You might need less time; I'm at some considerable altitude.)

What I can't do: rolled cookies in any shape other than round. How people get those elaborate cookie cutter shapes off the board and onto the cookie sheet -- intact -- is a mystery. And -- assembling gingerbread houses. My temptation is to build one from legos, and then glue gingerbread to it, because otherwise my gingerbread houses look like post-earthquake red-tagged specials.

And candy. Got my candy thermometer -- but no success in finding a conversion chart for what temps I should look for at this altitude.
    I can usually get the dough out of the cookie cutter, but after they bake they sometimes look like shapeless blobs.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I can NOT make pie crust worth a damn. I'm going to try tomorrow, though. Apple pie for hubby who is presently in the dog house, but maybe this will show I forgive him.

I can make wonderful bread and really, really good Indian and Cajun. I'm good with home made biscuits, all types of soups and stews, casseroles and cakes. Especially bundt pan cakes. I just simply can not make pie crust. Any tips?

vCash
    Hokay!! Potato update time - well the parboiling and shaking/fuzzing step definitely helped. Here's a picture so you can see the goldenest potato crust I ever succeeded in making Apologies for the bad quality - I snapped it on my phone, plus there's a huge shadow because Boyfriend came running over in excitement and his head got in the way of the light just as I took it.

They tasted great - thanks Jenny and TheGirlCanSkate! Now one last question: how do you get them to crisp up on all sides without having to sit there and flip them one by one? I flipped three times and I still felt like a lot of them didn't get sufficiently crisped up. Or maybe I should have just cut them into more evenly sized pieces :

vCash
    Agree with the method of cooking rice in the microwave - it comes out perfect every time & takes only 20 minutes. Here's the secret to perfect rice. Measure your rice and rinse it very well with cold water, then dump it in a large pyrex bowl or other tall microwave safe bowl. Add twice the amount of water to your rice. Add 1/2 tsp. sea salt & stir, then cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, then cook on 60% power for 15 minutes. Let the rice sit for 1-2 minutes, then uncover & stir. It will be perfectly cooked and fluffy!

Here's a foolproof microwave recipe for Saffron Rice:

Rinse 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice & place in large microwavable bowl
    Add 2 Tbsp salted butter cut into small pieces
    Add 1/2 tsp sea salt
    Add 1 large pinch Saffron
    Pour one large carton (32 oz) chicken stock into bowl
    Stir & cover loosely with plastic wrap
    Microwave on high for 5 minutes, then on 60% for 15 minutes.
    Uncover & enjoy!

For really good chicken or turkey gravy, use cornstarch instead of flour. It will give your gravy a much lighter, more silky consistency without the gummy, chalky texture often seen in flour-based gravies. Just pour your drippings into a sauce pan, add salt & pepper to taste, add a splash of golden sherry & sift 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cornstarch into it, constantly whisking on medium high heat until it gets really bubbly & on the verge of boiling. Then turn down the heat to 3 & whisk for 5 more minutes. Remove pan from heat & let cool off for another 5 minutes & your gravy will be perfectly thickened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    These instructions are for fahrenheit: subtract two degrees Fahrenheit from a stated temperature for every 1000 feet you are above sea level. Hope this helps. After you do the conversation you may want to mark it in nail polish on your thermometer.

http://candy.about.com/od/candybasic...de-Cooking.htm

vCash
    Right now anything and everything I have tried to bake that is gluten free has come out looking terrible and tasting even worse. Considering that the cost for the ingredients for baking is rather high, I think I won't be trying any more baking for a while. I hate wasting food.
    Crazy about sports!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    No!!!!!!! Can't you use a food processor or something similar? Latkes should only ever be made from scratch.

If you're ever in Israel during the holiday, let me know and I will take care of this alarming situation
    You can't grate potatoes in a food processor. I've tried. You end up with mush.

Look, I'm an atheistic Jew. The standards for us are lower.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Look, I'm an atheistic Jew. The standards for us are lower.
    Well, I'm hardly one to celebrate the holiday in Bnei Brak - but this is a culinary matter, not a religious one!

vCash
    On the subject of latkes, while I have no problem grating up the potatoes I cannot keep them white. They always turn gray no matter what I try. What do the rest of you do? Baking soda? Acidulated water? Something else? Help!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Well, I'm hardly one to celebrate the holiday in Bnei Brak - but this is a culinary matter, not a religious one!
    There's a difference?
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    On the subject of latkes, while I have no problem grating up the potatoes I cannot keep them white. They always turn gray no matter what I try. What do the rest of you do? Baking soda? Acidulated water? Something else? Help!
    I'm with PRLady on this one. Boxed mixes are delicious. Homemade - not so much.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I don't use anything extra, I just make sure to squeeze out as much of the water as possible and I fry everything as fast as a I can - but that depends on how many you're making.

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    There's a difference?
    As we all know, the story of every Jewish holiday is "they tried to kill us, they failed, let's eat".

From the Bloc
    vCash
    As we all know, the story of every Jewish holiday is "they tried to kill us, they failed, let's eat".
    Every time I mention that I want to "celebrate" an obscure holiday or other occasion, my husband asks "will there be a menu?"

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast