Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Can you post a link or the recipe? My DD is a Nutella FREAK! Thanks
    Here's the direct link to the recipe. I don't want to raise expectations too much, but seriously, these are fantastic.

Note: I've never used nuts in mine, and my batches always come out smaller than theirs - I think the cookie size in the recipe must be quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I'm terrible at making bread. IF I can get it to rise and be kneaded/punched down/etc. I typically burn or undercook the loaf.
    Do you like beer bread? Because this one is super-easy to make.

Another note: when I make it the bread is done in about 35 minutes.

vCash
    Rob, the secret to thin crackly brownies is to use a slightly larger pan than called for & decrease the baking time. I've been using this recipe from the Dallas SPCA Cookbook for years & everyone raves about them:

3/4 cup melted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I put 2 tsps)
    3/4 cups unsifted flour
    1/2 cup cocoa
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    (optional - 1 cup pecans or walnuts)

Blend butter, sugar, vanilla. Add eggs, beat with spoon. Add baking powder, cocoa, salt, & flour, blend well. Add nuts if desired. Spread in greased & floured 8 inch square pan (I use a 8 X 11 1/2 brownie pan) & bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes (I bake for about 38 mins) or until brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan.

I occasionally ice these with fudge icing but they don't really need it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Here's the direct link to the recipe. I don't want to raise expectations too much, but seriously, these are fantastic.
    Wow, those look amazing! I may curse you later as they look like the type of cookies I'd end up eating waaay too many of ... but for now, thank you!

My biggest baking challenge is pastry. It's not a big deal, since I actually don't care for pastry or pies very much, but every once in while there's a need for it. Like at Christmas, for tourtière (I make a kick-ass vegetarian tourtière). Luckily my mother is the pastry queen so I usually get her to do the shells and I do the filling. Of course then she gripes about it because, in her view, the best pastry uses lard, but she has to make a vegetable shortening version for me ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Wow, those look amazing! I may curse you later as they look like the type of cookies I'd end up eating waaay too many of ... but for now, thank you!
    Oh, I always make sure that I have plenty of people to share them with! And I only make 2/3 of the quantity in the recipe, too. FWIW, my main challenge is not eating too much of the cookie dough and the leftover Nutella.

vCash
    ^^^my DD thanks you Zemgirl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Isn't tuna salad really just tuna and mayo and maybe some diced celery thrown in for crunchiness ?
    I can make pretty good tuna salad, but some folks might not like it. I always buy the best tuna and drain it really well. The regular stuff is pretty much like cat food. I use boiled eggs, which I grate instead of chopping because that's the way my mother did it. I add some chopped, unpeeled apple (I like the taste and it gives a little color), chopped green olives, and chopped pecans. If I have celery, I'll add that too. I like it a little bit sweet, so I may use Miracle Whip instead of mayo if I have it on hand. I use the dressing sparingly--just enough to hold everything together. Really good!

vCash
    Grannyfan, my mother made it like yours except no green olives. She used grapes cut in half instead.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Like at Christmas, for tourtière (I make a kick-ass vegetarian tourtière). Luckily my mother is the pastry queen so I usually get her to do the shells and I do the filling. Of course then she gripes about it because, in her view, the best pastry uses lard, but she has to make a vegetable shortening version for me ...
    Tourtiere is a meat pie - do you make it with tofu instead? All the French Canadians I know are very fussy about their tourtieres, and very opinionated as to the best way to make it (theirs of course ) and I'm trying to imagine a few of them if you were to say it's filled with tofu!

re tuna salad - in addition to mayo, onion, celery, salt and lots of pepper, I'll often add fresh parsley if I have it, and to really zing it up, finely diced red pepper and fresh cilantro. Also, in Canada you have the choice of tuna packed in water or oil, whereas all the canned tuna I saw on US store shelves was packed in oil - that can make a huge difference to flavour.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

Also, in Canada you have the choice of tuna packed in water or oil, whereas all the canned tuna I saw on US store shelves was packed in oil - that can make a huge difference to flavour.
    That's odd because I have a hard time finding tuna packed in oil. Maybe it's just the area of the country you're looking in.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    That's odd because I have a hard time finding tuna packed in oil. Maybe it's just the area of the country you're looking in.
    Admittedly yes - this was when I lived in NY a few years back.

vCash
    I live in NY; there is tuna packed in either water or oil all over the place. Neither one is hard to find. Although I eat tuna a lot, add me to the list of those who can't make a decent tuna fish salad.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I live in NY; there is tuna packed in either water or oil all over the place. Neither one is hard to find. Although I eat tuna a lot, add me to the list of those who can't make a decent tuna fish salad.
    OK I stand corrected I just remember that I couldn't find any packed in water in the 3 stores I shopped at (including Fairway, Citerella, the local market), so I brought a few cans from time to time from home, along with the cat food brand I couldn't find in NY either. This was a few years ago.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I want tuna packed in oil!! Can't find it here easily.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Potato salad!

I know, totally pathetic but mine is never as good as store-bought so I gave up making it myself years ago.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    Potato salad!

I know, totally pathetic but mine is never as good as store-bought so I gave up making it myself years ago.
    Have you tried adding a bit of bottled Italian dressing? I find that gives it that "kick" it needs.
    3539 and counting.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Just in time for the holidays, I stink at making latkes (potato pancakes) from scratch. I end up with so much of my fingers in the mix that it's really a meat dish.

I stick to the box mix, now.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Crispy potatoes of any kind - fries, roasted potatoes, etc. I've tried the soaking in salt water, using extra oil, etc. and they just do not crisp up. I know it's just me because I've moved a lot in the last few years and FOUR ovens cannot all have the same problem Any advice?

vCash
    rice!!!! either not cooked enough or soggy

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Crispy potatoes of any kind - fries, roasted potatoes, etc. I've tried the soaking in salt water, using extra oil, etc. and they just do not crisp up. I know it's just me because I've moved a lot in the last few years and FOUR ovens cannot all have the same problem Any advice?
    I have that problem with roasted potatoes. I've tried everything - parboiling, roasting raw - everything. If a Brit could please chime in and tell me how to do it I'll be forever grateful. I did hear something about dusting them with flour but I'm scared to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    rice!!!! either not cooked enough or soggy
    Secret to good rice is (IMO) less water (I use 1 and 3/4 cup for a heaping cup of rice) and a long cooking time. After it comes to the second boil turn it on the lowest heat and let it sit for about 45 minutes.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I have that problem with roasted potatoes. I've tried everything - parboiling, roasting raw - everything. If a Brit could please chime in and tell me how to do it I'll be forever grateful. I did hear something about dusting them with flour but I'm scared to try it.

Secret to good rice is (IMO) less water (I use 1 and 3/4 cup for a heaping cup of rice) and a long cooking time. After it comes to the second boil turn it on the lowest heat and let it sit for about 45 minutes.

thank you!!!!

Roasted potatoes rock in foil, butter, onion and garlic on the bbq

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast