Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Part of me thinks this is Kate's revenge for the 'Waity Katy' moniker from the press, the other part thinks the baby already knows that once it comes out it won't have a moment's peace so he or she is just refusing to be born. But then I picture that scene from "Friends" when Rachel is past her due date and can't get comfortable and looks at her stomach and starts yelling "Get out! Get out!! GET OUT!!"

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Except that male primogeniture will not apply to William's children and all generations to follow. So that very long section is kind of pointless which they only sort of acknowledge at the end.
    The video doesn't "only sort of acknowledge" it at the end, it very clearly sets out the (very long) history of British monarchical succession and then explains that rule has now changed. I personally don't consider a history lesson to be "kind of pointless," but then that's just me.

However what it doesn't talk about (and I wouldn't expect it to) is the potential constitutional crisis, caused by expediency, that could ensue in Canada if the firstborn is a girl but then William & Kate later have a boy. But that's a whole other issue and I do expect tptb to rectify the situation in the no-doubt decades before it becomes an actuality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    However what it doesn't talk about (and I wouldn't expect it to) is the potential constitutional crisis, caused by expediency, that could ensue in Canada if the firstborn is a girl but then William & Kate later have a boy. But that's a whole other issue and I do expect tptb to rectify the situation in the no-doubt decades before it becomes an actuality.
    Can you explain a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It surprises me that the royal use regular hospitals - you'd think that they could get most treatments at home, no? Better security and privacy? Many people give birth at home after all.
    But aren't regular hospitals in England the public ones that NHS pays for? She isn't using one of those, she's using a private hospital. Yes, "normal" people have access to them, but it still seems to be fairly elite based on cost alone. It's like how most celebrities still use normal hospitals in the US, but the care they get is just different, because they pay!

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I have hard time believing that as it would be a PR disaster for the Palace to have intentionally lied to the world.
    Eh, babies come at unexpected times. She can't help that she wasn't near the hospital she planned to give birth at and had to use this other one...
    And with this photographer circus, I can't imagine anyone not thinking a little white lie was appropriate. Consider it a security measure- like when they try not to let people know where Harry is deployed to!

vCash
    The video doesn't "only sort of acknowledge" it at the end, it very clearly sets out the (very long) history of British monarchical succession and then explains that rule has now changed. I personally don't consider a history lesson to be "kind of pointless," but then that's just me.

The beginning of the section on primogeniture is not clear as it is explained in present tense. Then goes to an "oh wait a minute". Your students who zone out halfway through would never know by that video that succession has been changed.

I doubt that Canada will be unable to sort out the succession bill before any princess takes the throne. And if baby Cambridge is a boy, their time to do so will be even longer.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Can you explain a bit? [re: potential constitutional crisis]
    Ok, I'll try ...

So in 2011 all the Commonwealth countries signed on to the Perth agreement, pending passage of the British Succession to the Crown Act this year. Basically ratifying that they were all in agreement with the new rules of absolute primogeniture. Canada included. All is right with the Empire.

Except for one thing: Canada's own constitution names the 1701 Act of Settlement specifically, with male primogeniture, and that rule of succession cannot be overridden by the Perth Agreement without going through the incredibly convoluted process of amending the Canadian constitution. In essence, although the Monarch of Canada has always up to this point been the same person as the Monarch of Britain, if Kate has a girl and then a boy, the law would dictate that the boy would be recognized as Monarch of Canada.

Or at least that's what some constitutional experts are arguing. There is not a consensus of opinion on this. (When is there?)

In all likelihood the legal wonks will find a way to fix this before it becomes an issue, since it's decades away. However if it isn't... well, Canada would have a different monarch (specifically King) than the rest of the commonwealth. With his own line of succession. Confusing as all get-out, but also kinda cool.

vCash
    well, Canada would have a different monarch (specifically King) than the rest of the commonwealth. With his own line of succession. Confusing as all get-out, but also kinda cool.
    Makes perfect sense! Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Hold out until Monday, Kate! That's my birthday
    We have the same idea. My birthday is on July 22nd too.

vCash
    Ok, I'll try ...

So in 2011 all the Commonwealth countries signed on to the Perth agreement, pending passage of the British Succession to the Crown Act this year. Basically ratifying that they were all in agreement with the new rules of absolute primogeniture. Canada included. All is right with the Empire.

Except for one thing: Canada's own constitution names the 1701 Act of Settlement specifically, with male primogeniture, and that rule of succession cannot be overridden by the Perth Agreement without going through the incredibly convoluted process of amending the Canadian constitution. In essence, although the Monarch of Canada has always up to this point been the same person as the Monarch of Britain, if Kate has a girl and then a boy, the law would dictate that the boy would be recognized as Monarch of Canada.

Or at least that's what some constitutional experts are arguing. There is not a consensus of opinion on this. (When is there?)

In all likelihood the legal wonks will find a way to fix this before it becomes an issue, since it's decades away. However if it isn't... well, Canada would have a different monarch (specifically King) than the rest of the commonwealth. With his own line of succession. Confusing as all get-out, but also kinda cool.
    I think it would be cool too. I like it!

vCash
    I think it's interesting that the Princess Royal and Captain Phillips were allowed to choose such a non-traditional sounding name as Zara. The pretty name was suggested by her uncle the Prince of Wales. I have read the name is Greek and means bright as dawn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I think it's interesting that the Princess Royal and Captain Phillips were allowed to choose such a non-traditional sounding name as Zara. The pretty name was suggested by her uncle the Prince of Wales. I have read the name is Greek and means bright as dawn.
    I think everyone knew that the Phillips children were not going to become monarchs, so there was more freedom with the names; even the York princesses have pretty unusual names for royals, and they are closer to the throne. I did find it interesting that they chose to forego a title and have Peter and Zara be untitled.

I suspect that if Zara had been born a bit later, she would have been given a different name, one not so identified with a retailer as Zara is now.

In several countries, the crown princess and princess just gave their children whatever names they liked, and the middle names are the more traditional ones (e.g. Princess Estelle in Sweden, the Dutch princesses, the Danish kids other than Prince Christian).

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Don't forget about tomorrow's big events in Belgium w/the Abdication of King Albert II and Instillation of Crown Prince Phillipe as the Country's new King. While it won't be as flashy as the events of The Netherlands from this Spring, it's still History. I can't wait to see Philippe, Mathilde and their kids, as the new "main" Royal Family of Belgium, on the Balcony tomorrow.

Also there's pretty big party taking place in Norway this weekend as Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit decided to combine both their 40th Birthday Parties into one big celebration. They decided to do a theme of an outdoor music festival held over the weekend and that means everyone attending, royal or not, are camping out in tents. A few pics are already out and it looks like a lot of fun.

Of course there's also the chance of a certain baby making it's appearance too. Had to laugh at one reporter's tweet saying this Kate's revenge on all of them for the "Waity Katy" thing yesterday sometime. At least he's got a sense of humour about about it all.

vCash
    King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and family look absolutely lovely

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Philippe.html

vCash
    From Peter Hunt of the BBC on twitter:
    The Duchess of Cambridge is in labour and has gone to give birth at the private Lindo Wing at St. Mary's Hospital in London.

vCash
    Hope all goes well for Catherine and wee baby Cambridge. Prince Richard/Princess Alexandra!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    BBC breaking news alert:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23402103

vCash
    Here's hoping she has a quick and easy labour.

vCash
    Happy Pushing!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    July 22!

vCash

Thumbs up

I'm so glad I burned the midnight oil!

Come on Kate! Go Baby Cambridge Go!

I hope the babe is healthy - and a girl.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast