Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    I don't think that matters. She may be William's cousin, but the Earl's family is well outside the circle.

I wonder how much William and Harry see of their uncle, aunt and cousins these days. I recall at Diana's funeral the Earl said so clearly that he would be taking responsibility for continuing Diana's legacy with the boys, and yet you never hear about them in the same breath, and they are never photographed together, mentions of holiday visits etc.

vCash
    I don't think the royals are any fonder of the Spencers than they are of the Middletons. Probably less - they have to put up with the Middletons but they can choose to distance from the Spencers.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Why do you think they don't like the Middletons?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It has actually been reported that the Queen likes Kate's parents very much. They were invited to the royal box at Ascot last year when Kate and William were not present.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    It has actually been reported that the Queen likes Kate's parents very much. They were invited to the royal box at Ascot last year when Kate and William were not present.
    That's what I thought too - and haven't they also been to Balmoral or Sandringham? Those are the family's very private residences, so an invite there means a lot.

vCash
    I think it is more fun for people (not taf) to speculate how terrible the Middletons are. That they are social climbing, money grubbing, pushed their daughter into Prince Williams arms, kind of people. I don't know them personally, but they seem like a nice healthy family and they seem to have raised their kids so they are capable of healthy relationships. That is way more than can be said about the Spencers. (Although Sarah and Jane appear to be okay now)
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I think they started out liking the Middletons & I don't think the Middleton's pushed their daughter into Prince William's arms. Didn't Will & Kate meet in college? It's just that since the wedding there have been a few embarassments & a few social climbing incidents, esp with Pippa. But they may like the Middletons just fine. However I've always gotten the impressions that they didn't think much of the Spencers. BTW, I read that Pippa was recently told to "tone it down" in regards to her attention-grabbing ways - I don't know how true that is.
    Last edited by taf2002; 07-05-2013 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    I wonder how much William and Harry see of their uncle, aunt and cousins these days. I recall at Diana's funeral the Earl said so clearly that he would be taking responsibility for continuing Diana's legacy with the boys, and yet you never hear about them in the same breath, and they are never photographed together, mentions of holiday visits etc.
    They don't seem particularly close, though I believe that their older Spencer cousins live in South Africa and have for years, so it's not like everyone can just pop over for a visit. No idea about their relationship with the Fellowes and McCorquodale families, but they do go to the weddings, at least

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I think they started out liking the Middletons & I don't think the Middleton's pushed their daughter into Prince William's arms. Didn't Will & Kate meet in college? It's just that since the wedding there have been a few embarassments & a few social climbing incidents, esp with Pippa. But they may like the Middletons just fine. However I've always gotten the impressions that they didn't think much of the Spencers. BTW, I read that Pippa was recently told to "tone it down" in regards to her attention-grabbing ways - I don't know how true that is.
    I recall that article, but it was not from a reputable source and this is not the absolute monarchy of old--they can't go telling any citizens how to comport themselves. Pippa doesn't seem to be grabbing for attention all that much. The book she published is related to her parents' business where she works. The poor woman is just trying to live her life and there is paparazzi waiting on the sidewalk every time she goes outside. I don't really think she can be blamed.

My mom and I were talking yesterday about the irony of a nice normal family like the Middletons being accused of social climbing and trying to marry their daughter into the royal family while the Spencers had worked hard to put their daughters in the path of the princes in order to achieve just that. Seems the press is confused by titles and missed who the real climbers were.

vCash
    Announcement this morning that Princess Anne's daughter, Zara Tindall is pregnant.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...8July2013.aspx

vCash
    Great news! Nice for this baby and the Cambridge baby to be so close in age.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Great news! Nice for this baby and the Cambridge baby to be so close in age.
    All the great grandchildren will be pretty close together with one each year for a stretch now. Savannah was born in 2010, then a one year break, then Isla in 2012, baby Cambridge in 2013, and baby Tindall in 2014.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Here's some interesting background on titling as it relates to William and Kate's child - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Cambridge.html

vCash
    Here's some interesting background on titling as it relates to William and Kate's child - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Cambridge.html
    Reading these kind of things (who William will call first etc) always makes me glad I'm not a member of a royal family and can do whatever I want, how I want it, when I want it in that kind of a situation!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Reading these kind of things (who William will call first etc) always makes me glad I'm not a member of a royal family and can do whatever I want, how I want it, when I want it in that kind of a situation!
    It's definitely a tradeoff between the many advantages such a position entails and the many restrictions and expectations. For instance, I bet Kate's wedding dress was not the sort of thing she'd have picked if she were marrying a non-royal (I suspect Pippa's dress was more to her taste). And the name might not be what they'd choose if the baby weren't about to become third in line to the throne and a future monarch. Zara will be able to choose something more adventurous, no doubt.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    In some ways it might be a relief to have it all laid out like that, rather than worrying which family members will be offended if they don't get called first or the child isn't named after them or who gets to decide who attends a shower etc etc. Sometimes regular families can be a royal pain

vCash
    You know, though, sure, he will call his grandmother as protocol requires. That doesn't mean he won't text his brother or call her parents on a cell phone first. We simply do not know. Neither does the Daily Mail. Especially not the Daily Mail!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I guess the Daily Mail doesn't get much respect, but I do very much appreciate all the great images of the royals they give us

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I guess the Daily Mail doesn't get much respect, but I do very much appreciate all the great images of the royals they give us
    Yeah, but how intrusive are they to get those images?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Yeah, but how intrusive are they to get those images?
    I don't know - the ones I'm talking about are always from public events or times they are out in public, such as on their way into weddings, as in the link I just posted.

Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast