Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yuck. Traditional names are nicest. And it's probably because the only Estelle I know is a lady of a certain age, but "Estelle" sounds "old-woman" to me. Even though I rationally know at some point all elderly people were young, I can't imagine naming a child a name that sound elderly to me.
    Traditional names are nicest but only if they're not old fashioned? Is that not the point of a traditional name, to be kind of old school?

I like Estelle (and her other names are good too - Silvia Ewa Mary) and I like the Dutch princesses' names (Catharina-Amalia, Alexia and Ariane). Note that even the British royal family has some less traditional names - Zara Phillips, Savannah and Isla Phillips, and to a lesser extent, Princess Eugenie. Though of course, none of them are expected to be future monarchs.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I took a look at the 'very British names' and I have always loved the name Olivia. No pressure Princess Catherine!!
    She is not Princess Catherine. If one were to call the Duchess of Cambridge Princess, it would actually be Princess William.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

She is not Princess Catherine. If one were to call the Duchess of Cambridge Princess, it would actually be Princess William.
    Well if you want to get anal about it it would actually be Her Royal Highness Princess William.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Perhaps when William gains the throne he'll abolish the British custom of the wife of a prince being called HRH Princess <husband's name>, since it is rather clear that none of the women involved in this generation (or the prior, for the most part) have any liking for that practice. How did Britain come to do that when it seems that many of the European monarchies do not?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Actually, she is HRH Princess Catherine...of Scotland. When it comes to the Scottish "rules", when a woman marries into the Scottish Royal Family, she takes the title of her husband in her own right. Just like the two Marys of Denmark who are Princesses of Denmark in their own right.

Someone over at The Royal Forums posted about a couple of years ago, which is how I learned about it.

BTW we did have a Royal Birth yesterday. Princess Aimee and Prince Floris of The Netherlands were blessed w/a healthy baby boy yesterday. A Grandson for Princess Margriet and Prof Pieter van Vollenhoven.

A Dutch Princess born in Canada now has a Grandchild born on Canada Day? Rather fitting IMO.

Congratulations to the Dutch Royal Family!!!

vCash
    Have y'all seen this? It's really well done. http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/06/alis...k-alikes.html#

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Actually, she is HRH Princess Catherine...of Scotland. When it comes to the Scottish "rules", when a woman marries into the Scottish Royal Family, she takes the title of her husband in her own right. Just like the two Marys of Denmark who are Princesses of Denmark in their own right.

Someone over at The Royal Forums posted about a couple of years ago, which is how I learned about it.
    As Kate is a member of the British Royal family I am not sure the Scottish rule follows especially as the Scottish and English crowns were united in 1603 with the succession of James the 6th of Scotland to the English throne being known thereafter as King James the 1st of England and Scotland.

According to the official website of the British Monarchy Catherine Middleton became Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus upon her wedding to Prince William who was bestowed the titles by the Queen that day. She could also be known as Her Royal Highness Princess William of Wales. She would only become a Princess in her own right with the issuance of Letters Patent by the Queen - which some feel may come soon after the birth of her first child

Well now Diana's birthday has come and gone I am officially looking forwards to the birth now - it could happen at anytime and the press are already camping outside the hospital where the Duchess will give birth - they could be in for a long wait

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think we talked about this upthread. The Royal Family is pretty clear about when they use their various Scottish titles, and it's only when they are actually in Scotland and performing in an official capacity. Sort of like wearing particular uniforms in particular settings and for particular occasions - they may be entitled in the right circumstances, but they wouldn't do it when it wasn't appropriate.

vCash
    Twitter:

BBC News (World) ‏@BBCWorld 23m
    King of Belgium, King Albert II, to address nation amid reports he will abdicate http://bbc.in/17IEkvF
    EDIT:

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 10m
    King of the Belgians, Albert II, confirms he will abdicate in favour of son on 21 July 2013
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-03-2013 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    My theory: they know it's a girl, which is why the primogeniture change. And I believe (for no particular reason) that the first name will be Alice.

vCash
    I love the name Alice! They have my approval
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    My theory: they know it's a girl, which is why the primogeniture change. And I believe (for no particular reason) that the first name will be Alice.
    The law for changing primogeniture was proposed well before Kate was pregnant. It was proposed by the Commonwealth nations in October, 2011. Note the date on this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...monwealth.html

vCash
    My mistake, I thought it was after she got pregnant. See how time flies? Anyway the baby is a girl who will be named Alice. (I think.)

vCash
    wrong thread

vCash
    I could see Will and Kate using Alice for a girl. - Alice was the name of Prince Philip's mother.

I love this picture of King Albert and Queen Paola before his abdication speech

http://static0.7sur7.be/static/photo...ll_5959461.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    My mistake, I thought it was after she got pregnant. See how time flies? Anyway the baby is a girl who will be named Alice. (I think.)
    A spokesperson also said a couple of weeks ago when they gave the details of where the baby will be born and how the birth will be announced that William & Kate chose not to find out if it is a boy or girl.

I still think it is a boy. I want it to be a girl, but it seems everyone does so it will be a boy.

vCash
    I'm wondering if it's a girl simply because pilots tend to have more girls than boys.

I'm still hoping for boy because everyone wants them to have a girl...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I'm wondering if it's a girl simply because pilots tend to have more girls than boys.
    I've never seen any real evidence that this is actually true.

Anyway, I don't particularly care if they have a boy or a girl. It has no effect on me but for their sake I hope it'll be a healthy baby and that they'll enjoy being parents, regardless of its sex.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    I could see Will and Kate using Alice for a girl. - Alice was the name of Prince Philip's mother.

I love this picture of King Albert and Queen Paola before his abdication speech

http://static0.7sur7.be/static/photo...ll_5959461.jpg
    Just lovely!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Sex is determined by the father, no? He is one of two brothers, his father has two brothers and one sister, but his grandfather has four sisters and no brothers. Based on genetics, I'd go with boy, but pretty good shot for a girl too.

I like Alice very much - it would be a great name for a second daughter, given that the first one is going to be Charlotte Frances Elizabeth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Sex is determined by the father, no? He is one of two brothers, his father has two brothers and one sister, but his grandfather has four sisters and no brothers. Based on genetics, I'd go with boy, but pretty good shot for a girl too.

I like Alice very much - it would be a great name for a second daughter, given that the first one is going to be Charlotte Frances Elizabeth

Even if Earl Spencer has a baby girl named Charlotte?

Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast