Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    I meant one - I was questioning why anyone would encourage the princess who would become Elizabeth II to choose one of her other less illustrious names instead of her first name. As a princess, she shared her mother's name; as a queen, she pairs herself with one of the greatest monarchs of England. If it was her choice against advice, then I applaud her wisdom, and her making a stand on something so important right from the beginning of her reign.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Ah, I see. I thought you were talking about naming the new baby Elizabeth after II.

Glad we agree on I though!

vCash
    Twitter:

DowntonAbbeyAddicts ‏@DowntonAbbeyAdd 24m
    Secrets of Three Iconic British Homes Revealed on PBS Starting This Sunday http://nblo.gs/MzxeT

vCash
    I have read that both Elizabeth and Margaret Rose were born by caesarean section. At that time, women were discouraged from having more than 2 C Sections because of the chance of a ruptured uterus along the incision line. So there was no chance at all that Bertie/George and Elizabeth would have undertaken another pregnancy after he became King. I believe there was also a bit of difficulty in achieving a pregnancy, due to a certain physical abnormality on the part of Bertie/George.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I meant one - I was questioning why anyone would encourage the princess who would become Elizabeth II to choose one of her other less illustrious names instead of her first name. As a princess, she shared her mother's name; as a queen, she pairs herself with one of the greatest monarchs of England. If it was her choice against advice, then I applaud her wisdom, and her making a stand on something so important right from the beginning of her reign.
    I would agree with this- I'd like to know who made the suggestions, and if there was any actual "pressure" or if it was merely posed as a question- i.e. you don't have to use your first name you know?

And why on earth would anyone argue that either of her other names be any better? You could just as easily argue that had she taken the name Mary and ruled as Mary lll it would have brought up memories of Mary l (Bloody Mary) whose husband (A Philip by the way!) helped bring in the persecution and burning of Protestants, or Mary ll- a sweet woman, but essentially a cypher. And Alexandra- well Queen Alexandra was popular, but hardly the sharpest tool in the shed, and of course there were recent memories of her cousin Tsarina Alexandra and her terrible fate in Russia.

And of course there were precedents for not ruling with ones first name. Queen Victoria wanted her eldest son to rule as King Albert Edward, but once she died, he had his own ideas and went with the more English and traditional name. George Vl- well it was important after the abdication to emphasize tradition and continuity, so he went with one of his middle names instead of Albert.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    For fun...via Twitter:

anglophenia ‏@anglophenia 20m
    From Agatha to Boudicca, here are 10 extremely British baby names for girls, in case anyone may need them in a hurry: http://bit.ly/124aQ6J

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    For fun...via Twitter:
    Well then, if baby Cambridge isn't D'estinee Nevaeh Unique Madysyn (my first suggestion) she should be, using those suggestions- Boudicca Frideswide Gladys Myrtle (has a ring to it, doesn't it- Princess Boo for short?)
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I would agree with this- I'd like to know who made the suggestions, and if there was any actual "pressure" or if it was merely posed as a question- i.e. you don't have to use your first name you know?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabe...and_coronation

During 1951, George VI's health declined and Elizabeth frequently stood in for him at public events. When she toured Canada and visited President Truman in Washington, D.C. in October 1951, her private secretary, Martin Charteris, carried a draft accession declaration for use if the King died while she was on tour. In early 1952, Elizabeth and Philip set out for a tour of Australia and New Zealand by way of Kenya. On 6 February 1952, they had just returned to their Kenyan home, Sagana Lodge, after a night spent at Treetops Hotel, when word arrived of the death of the King. Philip broke the news to the new queen. Martin Charteris asked her to choose a regnal name; she chose to remain Elizabeth, "of course".
    According to , it is very bad form for a private secretary to pressure the heiress presumptive to choose a different name as her regnal name lest quickly turn into .

So, I'll make an educated guess an say that no one pressured her and that certain authors or their "sources" made things up because they wanted to sound knowledgeable and interesting.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed UK ‏@BuzzFeedUK 14h
    Would you like to sign up for our Royal Baby newsletter? Of course you would http://bzfd.it/1aMWYof

vCash
    Pressure about the baby's name is just a preview of the garbage that Kate is going to be put through, apparently:

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/kate...ry?id=19491957

vCash
    ^^^
    Ridiculous!

vCash
    Will she (or her nanny) allow baby to cry it out or will she/they tend to every whimper? Will she put the baby on its back to prevent SIDS or will she be horribly irresponsible and put it to sleep on its head??!!! Will she get all recommended vaccinations on time or will she delay, or will she not do them at all and go on to campaign against vaccinations? Will she feed the baby food made in Britain or give it undercooked beef doomed to give the child mad cow disease? Will the child wear organic all-natural clothing made in Britain or fake polyester made by 2-year-olds in a Burmese sweatshop? fer cryin' out loud. . . like all other mothers, she's gonna have a LOT of advice & criticism to tune out--more than most moms. I hope she and William have a LOT of strength to tell everyone to shut the heck up and let them make their own decisions regarding parenting.

anglophenia ‏@anglophenia 20m
    From Agatha to Boudicca, here are 10 extremely British baby names for girls, in case anyone may need them in a hurry: http://bit.ly/124aQ6J
    I say they go for Frideswide Boadicea. Ain't nobody gonna mess with Queen Fridey Bo.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Wasn't it King Friday, Prince Tuesday .... I can't remember the queen's name.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Oh but, Alexandria sounds so Regal, doesn't it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Wasn't it King Friday, Prince Tuesday .... I can't remember the queen's name.
    Poor Queen Sara Saturday. And it was King Friday XIII.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    . . . like all other mothers, she's gonna have a LOT of advice & criticism to tune out--more than most moms. I hope she and William have a LOT of strength to tell everyone to shut the heck up and let them make their own decisions regarding parenting.

Hopefully, it will be a bit of comfort to new moms around the world that while they are getting unsolicited advice, at least it doesn't come in the form of newspaper op-eds.

vCash
    Twitter:

What Would Kate Do ‏@WWKD_Official 36m
    Today marks Princess Diana's 52nd birthday. We miss her captivating spirit everyday, but she lives on in our hearts.
    Pic: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOGAauJCIAEn7Eu.jpg

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Lots of Diana pictures - from babyhood to her last day of life.

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...080375,00.html

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I think it's very likely that if they have a girl, she will get Diana as one of her middle names; absolutely not as her first name, however.

Too bad that they'll likely have to stick with something traditional and can't just pick a name they like personally, as Victoria and Daniel did with Princess Estelle and Maxima and Willem-Alexander did with their triple-A daughters.
    Yuck. Traditional names are nicest. And it's probably because the only Estelle I know is a lady of a certain age, but "Estelle" sounds "old-woman" to me. Even though I rationally know at some point all elderly people were young, I can't imagine naming a child a name that sound elderly to me.

Names I can see NOT using: David (the Queen probably still has mixed feelings at best about her Uncle David), Albert (despite that one being the family name to end all family names), James (too Stuart), Charles as a first name. (There's some issue about whether Charles, Prince of Wales will rule as King Charles III as that's said to be bad luck--supposedly, the story goes, Charles III will mean the end of the monarchy.) For girls, if they really did try to nudge HM away from Elizabeth, to keep Elizabeth I unique, I bet "Victoria" is off the table, too, even if that's a really obvious one to honor. Diana is probably a no for reasons stated.

I could see George and Philip being in there (for George VI and Prince Philip), Charlotte, Frances, Elizabeth and Alexandra in as middle names....Arthur is another one that hasn't been used in a while, likewise John (though there's only been one King John and while he gets a bad rap more than deserved, he wasn't very popular, though there's also David and Bertie's brother the "lost prince"...)

vCash
    I took a look at the 'very British names' and I have always loved the name Olivia. No pressure Princess Catherine!!

Is Lettice a common name over there right now. I kinda like that name too.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast