Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    A little bemused by the Daily Mail's headline: "Queen Steals the show..." Erm, isn't she the *star* of the show?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Things change - even Royal households.
    Then show me one press release from the Royal Household since the Wedding where she's called "Kate Middleton". Go on. Go for it.

Good Luck though. You're going to need it.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    You really get your knickers in a twist whenever someone disagrees with you about the British royals. Communication from the palace is very formal and constrained - that doesn't mean anything when it comes to what she wants to be called or what she's called within the family. If it's offensive the palace would have said something. They are not shy about doing that.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Minor point: the Duchess has herself used the surname Cambridge rather than Middleton in at least one public situation. Link: http://www.examiner.com/article/duch...kate-middleton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    You really get your knickers in a twist whenever someone disagrees with you about the British royals. Communication from the palace is very formal and constrained - that doesn't mean anything when it comes to what she wants to be called or what she's called within the family. If it's offensive the palace would have said something. They are not shy about doing that.
    When someone acts like a complete tool, don't be offended when you get called on it.

How many times do you need to be told that calling her by her maiden name is wrong and goes for the other Royal Ladies as well? Every single time this comes up in the you are the, who like a dog w/a bone, only one who keeps stirring the pot over it.

Well guess what, I can't be the only one fed up w/it. She should be referred to as either HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, HRH, The Duchess, Duchess Kate, even Princess Kate is fine as I've learned in Scotland when a woman marries into the Royal Family she gains the title of Princess of Scotland in her own right. Kate Middleton ceased to exist on April 29th, 2011 when she said "I will" at the alter of Westminster Abbey.

It's not a question of me getting upset when someone disagrees w/me BTW. What it is, is when someone continues to be so incredibly ignorant to the point of "I don't care what I'm being told, because it doesn't matter, as *I know I'm right!!" To me in the manner that you have done, then of course I'll call you on it.

Okay...Enough of this...

Reports from today in Sweden are that Valentino is responsible for designing Madeleline's Wedding Gown for Saturday. Of course the Court isn't commenting,but...He's been invited, so...Interesting.

Also confirmed is Charlene's attendance. Considering it's a White Tie Dress Code, which means Orders and Tiaras, am I hopefully wishing too much to think that maybe...Finally....See Charlene in an honest to goodness Tiara?

I have a feeling I am, but....There's always hope, right.

vCash
    wow! That's quite the rant over a name and one that is not even yours.

While the royal household might not change easily, I would have hoped they learned something over the years and if the future Queen would want to retain her Middleton name, then so be it. Some people do want to retain their names that they were born with - just because you say she ceased to be on April 29, 2011 she might not feel the same way, no one ceases to be someone they once were/are unless they choose to be.. It might even be that she said I am not The Duchess, that was my mother in law.

However, if I was to do a search on Kate for any news/clips/scandal I would probably use Kate Middleton and not any of the titles you mentioned.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I would think it's a lot more lazy journalism. They've been calling her Kate Middleton for YEARS. They've only slowly, a bit grudgingly, come around on Camilla not being Camilla Parker-Bowles (though part of THAT, I'm sure, was holdover hostility, which the tabloids here at least still LOVE--"Evil Camilla Vows 'I Will Be Queen!'" I swear I am not making that headline up.) And of course, even though the "it's my mother-in-law" thing doesn't make any sense (there is always more than one Duchess in the family) I can see concerns that "Cambridge" and "Cornwall", both beginning with C, are confusing.

When William is Prince of Wales it'll be beside the point anyway because then they can FINALLY just use "Princess Kate" like they desperately have wanted to.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Just catching up on the pics of HM Coronation service. A little disappointed in Sophie's outfit. Pretty but a little too informal imo.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If we're going to quibble about Middleton then it shouldn't be Kate either - when she became engaged, the palace did say that she would now be known as Catherine. I don't think I've ever seen anything from the palace that refers to her as Kate, and I don't think they'd sanction "Duchess Kate," and from what I've seen, the royals only use their Scottish titles when they are actually in Scotland, so Princess Kate doesn't seem right either.

But personally I think it's much ado about nothing. I do agree it's a bit of lazy journalism, but I also think there's an affection for her that makes people want to call her a "normal" name, and we can't forget the age of SEO either - there would be a lot less searches of Catherine Cambridge than Kate Middleton. If Middleton was used as a way to put down her roots or imply that she doesn't play the part of a married woman, or to shame William in some way, that would be one thing. But I read a lot of coverage of her, and it's 99% positive - in other words the context for saying Kate Middleton is always friendly and respectful of her as a person and supportive of her. I think it's a way for the public to embrace her as "ours," not just some piece of the royal pie. And I do see her referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge just as often as Kate or Kate Middleton.

For formal occasions and communications, yes I think it's important to get it right. But for every day media stories about fashions etc, informal communications and conversation, I don't think it's a big deal at all.

ETA - Just doing a little searching, and it appears that Prince William is no longer correct either. According to the British Monarchy website, it's:

The Duke of Cambridge's full title is His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge KG KT.

In his military life, The Duke is known as Flight Lieutenant William Wales.
    This differs from his brother (and it's perhaps worth noting that since the palace has made it official that he is known as Prince Harry, we can perhaps infer that there is no official sanction for Kate in any form):

Prince Harry's full title is His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales. Despite officially being called Henry, he is always known as Prince Harry.

In his military life, Prince Harry is known as Lieutenant Harry Wales.
    And here's a mouthful:

The Prince of Wales's full title is:

His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales, KG, KT, GCB, OM, AK, QSO, PC, ADC, Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.
    Here's Kate (yeah, I said it ):

On the occasion of his marriage, The Queen conferred a Dukedom on Prince William of Wales.

The Duke received the titles of Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus.

As a result Miss Catherine Middleton became Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus.
    And Camilla:

Born Camilla Rosemary Shand, after her marriage to The Prince of Wales, Her Royal Highness chose to use the title The Duchess of Cornwall.

In Scotland, Her Royal Highness is known as The Duchess of Rothesay.

As The Prince is the Earl of Chester, Her Royal Highness also holds the title The Countess of Chester.

When The Prince accedes to The Throne, it is intended that The Duchess will use the title HRH The Princess Consort.
    Last edited by Jenny; 06-06-2013 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Read on twitter that Prince Philip is back in the hospital for abdominal issues. At his age, any hospital stay is quite serious so wishing him the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    Read on twitter that Prince Philip is back in the hospital for abdominal issues. At his age, any hospital stay is quite serious so wishing him the best.
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 10m
    Queen Elizabeth's husband Prince Philip admitted to a London hospital for operation, according to @BritishMonarchy.
    Breaking News UK ‏@BreakingNewsUK 13m
    More: Prince Philip expected to stay in the hospital for up to two weeks - @BritishMonarchy http://bit.ly/11HDDfP
    Michael van Poppel ‏@mpoppel 19m
    BREAKING -- ROYAL PALACE STATEMENT: Prince Philip admitted to hospital for operation http://www.bnowire.com/inbox/?id=1927

vCash
    I wish Prince Philip a complete recovery.
    I hope that the doctors can find, and treat, the cause of his illness.

vCash
    Philip seems to be having some issues in his older life, much like many people his age. He's always been pretty robust and a tough character, so hopefully he'll recover as well as can be expected.

vCash
    It's since been released the reason he cancelled on Monday, was due to him losing his voice after a scoping that was done. Add that to the news this is something that's been planned for at least a couple of weeks now and is exploratory in nature...I don't have a good feeling about this.

I really hope I'm wrong about that and HRH has a very speedy recovery.

vCash
    Twitter:

BBC News (UK) ‏@BBCNews 2m
    Duke of Edinburgh due to have exploratory operation on his abdomen after spending night in a London hospital http://bbc.in/193KGsd

vCash
    I think we all need something to smile about w/the worrying news of Prince Phillip's Operation later today and this more than fits the bill IMO. Yesterday was Sweden's National Day and is always a highlight as the ladies of the Swedish Royal Family all wear the National Dress. This year, that included a certain adorable lil munchkin.

Official Swedish Royal Family Website ~ You can't catch me!!

Official Swedish Royal Family Website ~ Lovely picture of Victoria, Daniel and Estelle

There's another one I saw earlier today where Estelle got to sit on Uncle Carl Philip's lap during the Carriage Procession. He's looking his usual stunning smiling self and meanwhile...She's got her finger in her mouth and the expression on her face is priceless!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Must be such a stressful time for the Queen and Prince Charles especially - at once a time of celebration, and worry. Hopefully the coming of a royal baby will help everyone, including Philip, get through it.

vCash
    Twitter:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 6h
    Sweden's 'party princess' Madeleine to wed New York banker this weekend: http://apne.ws/17tdius -CC

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    in every pic i've seen of them, maddie's fiance is sort of creepy in the eyes. i hope i'm wrong.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I get that feeling too mlp and like you, I really hope this is just a matter of someone not photographing well.

While I'm glad Phillip's Surgery went well and so far, so good w/his recovery, the fact there was a part in the Press Release/Statement where it said something about waiting for results now on something being tested after the fact....The wording of that part of the Statement still has me worried something big and bad is going on here w/HRH's health.

I also hope and pray I'm beyond wrong on that one.

BTW, and back to Wedding News, apparently the Swedish Court confirmed yesterday sometime that yes, the rumours are true, Valentino has indeed designed/made Madeleine's Wedding Gown. Can't wait to see her, but also all of the other Royal Ladies in their finery. My hopes...

Madeleine's a stunning bride in an amazing gown and the Cameo Tiara. I know many hate it, but I'm not one of them, also it's both the traditional Wedding Tiara of the SRF and outside of that, a Queen's Tiara only the rest of the time. It very well could be her only chance to ever wear it, so why not go for it!!!

It's pretty well known that Princess Lilian left her Tiara to Crown Princess Victoria and I'd love for this to be the first time we see it on Victoria. Lilian was a very much loved Aunt by her Family and had a pretty close bond w/the three younger Members as well. W/this being the first really big time Family Event since her passing, I just think it would be a lovely time and place for it to happen and a way to honour her Memory today as well.

Will we see Sophie wearing her much hated Wedding Tiara (another one that I actually don't mind and like it) or will she be wearing that gorgeous 5 Aquamarine Tiara she was sporting for the Gala Dinner the night before the big Religious Wedding in Luxembourg last October? While I do like her Wedding Tiara, I'd love for some better pictures of her wearing that gorgeous piece she wore in October. We'll have to wait to see and the same w/....

To me, this is an even bigger "What if...?" than anything else this morning given her past track record....Will we see an Honest to Goodness Tiara on Charlene (Yes, I know it's White Tie, but this is also Charlene we're talking about here) and if so, then what? That horrid pseudo thing called The Foam Tiara, The much hoped for Ocean Tiara or will she be a rebel and not wear one? Considering the dress code those pictures of her later this morning had better have her not only wearing a true Tiara (please the Ocean....please the Ocean....please the Ocean....), but also both her Order of St Charles insignia *and* Order Sash (I think that's the right name, but going by Memory too, so forgive if I got that wrong) too. She's the Princess Consort representing her Country at a rather formal event. It's beyond high time she started looking like one at things such as this.

Okay...I'm off to try and catch a bit of a nap before it's time to watch the Festivities. I have no idea where online you could watch it, but I'll be checking The Royal Forums for that info. They'll for sure have that info somewhere over there in the Wedding area for today.

Everyone enjoy and can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on everything later today.

Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast