Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Surprised no posts about Prince Harry's interview on ending his second tour of duty in Afghanistan. Here's a couple of articles and one of them is...Well...Pot calling kettle black a bit?

Telegraph ~ How dare the Guardian sneer at Prince Harry?

The Khaleej Times ~ Taleban say Harry has a mental issue

I remember Prince Charles being asked about Harry training for the Apache last year and Charles saying he wouldn't be able to do it because so much of it now is so computerized and as Harry grew up playing computer games, it wasn't a problem for Harry or for William. Not the first time either I've heard that this Generation training to be pilots has it a bit easier due to their exposure to video games.

Just putting out there in contrast to the above article link.

ETA ~ Just saw this at The Royal Forums...

Prince Carl Friedrich is the Heir Apparent. Congratulations to TI&RH on their two little blessings!!!
    Jeez--I'd expect the Taleban to say something stupid but this Hadley whoever is way off base imho in her criticism of Prince Harry. I don't think the answers in his interview were strident and I liked his honesty. And puhlease---Dick Cheney would never be caught doing the difficult jobs that our armed forces are tasked with everyday. Mind you he had no trouble sending them into harms way. What an insult to Harry.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Yes. Very much an insult to Harry. Especially when you watch that other link I posted w/the full Documentary, which is where these quotes of Harry's have been coming from and you realize just how badly Harry's words were twisted on him.

He didn't deserve any of the roasting he's gotten by the Media at all.

vCash
    Just an update, but on Monday they will be announcing the results of the DNA tests on the skeleton in the parking lot that they think is Richard III. Considering all the circumstantial evidence, I'd be very disappointed and surprised if its not him. But nothing's for sure, it could be some other nobleman who died in battle, so I'll definitely be hitting the refresh button over and over on Monday to see the results!!!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Jeez--I'd expect the Taleban to say something stupid but this Hadley whoever is way off base imho in her criticism of Prince Harry. I don't think the answers in his interview were strident and I liked his honesty. And puhlease---Dick Cheney would never be caught doing the difficult jobs that our armed forces are tasked with everyday. Mind you he had no trouble sending them into harms way. What an insult to Harry.
    Well, it IS the Guardian. I can't stand that publication and the treatment of Harry's service is just another example of their asshatery. Killer Captain? You mean soldiers actually KILL people in a war? You don't say, Ms. Hadley.

It was reported here in the US, on CBS radio to be exact--that's where I heard it, although other media reported it too, I am sure. The CBS announcer didn't make any comment other than reporting Harry said killing the enemy was a lot like playing a video game. I don't get the outrage. He has to deal with the horrific task of killing other humans. And that's his way of coping.

The ultimate irony is of course, the Taliban talking about mental illness. Really now.

Here's a comment under the Hadley incoherent rant that caught my eye:
    Yes, it's rather the opposite of being a sneering, bien-pensant, metropolitan halfwit journalist... Soldiers are far morally upstanding people than bloody hacks, as far as I'm concerned... especially since they don't take every opportunity to castigate all and sundry and prat around on their moral high horse.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It was reported here in the US, on CBS radio to be exact--that's where I heard it, although other media reported it too, I am sure. The CBS announcer didn't make any comment other than reporting Harry said killing the enemy was a lot like playing a video game. I don't get the outrage. He has to deal with the horrific task of killing other humans.
    I've seen many other interviews with soldiers who "objectify" their experiences in the same way.
    It doesn't seem inappropriate or strange to me.

vCash
    Well...Get ready for unleashing of many articles and diagrams showing us *exactly* how far she is compared to so and so at this point because...

US Magazine ~ Breaking News: Kate Middleton Debuts Baby Bump: Pictures

And so it begins...

Guinevere, a good place for you to check on Monday would be The Royal Correspondent website. He's really good about keeping up on what's going on and usually has breaking Royal News as soon as it's known. I don't have the link handy, as I usually just click on whatever link he tweets about on Twitter. Anyway, that's the best place I can think of online.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She is debuting a poncho, not the baby bump. I can't see anything. Looks great, though and is hopefully feeling better.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    lol, makes me want to bust out my plaid poncho tomorrow
    Last edited by my little pony; 02-03-2013 at 02:13 AM.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    She is debuting a poncho, not the baby bump. I can't see anything. Looks great, though and is hopefully feeling better.
    Neither can I, so that's why I posted it the way I did. As I said...So it begins...

More twisting of Harry's words and racking him over the coals....

The Express ~ BOASTING PRINCE HARRY SPARKS SECURITY FOR PRINCE WILLIAM

1 ~ Harry was not boasting about that in the interview. Then again, you'd need to see the actual interview, not snippets, to understand that. Neither was the tone he used when talking about that in a boasting manner.

2 ~ Royal Security, but especially around the Cambridges and Harry, was going to be undergoing huge changes due to the various screw ups on the part of the RDPD Investigation into most of what happened last year. The one PPO accidently shooting his gun, the entire Vegas debacle where Smartphones were allowed at the Party, etc. The fear being since many of their Protection Officers have been w/them for ten years to just after Diana's death w/a couple and the lines have blurred too much.

None of this is new to anyone who has been paying attention the last few months. However, let's use it as a way to drag Harry under the bus yet again.

vCash
    Interesting article about if Monday's announcement is what many think, that those bones are indeed Richard III...

Telegraph ~ The hunchback is dead – long live Good King Richard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    My thoughts exactly!

vCash
    Anyone w/access to PBS Detroit, they're showing Britain's Royal Weddings right NOW!!

Talking about the then Duke and Duchess of York's Wedding. Later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Also tonight at 11pm EST, CBC News Network will be reshowing a documentary on Prince Phillip's Mother, HRH Princess Andrew of Greece, HSH Princess Alice of Battenberg (later turned into Mountbatten) called The Queen's Mother in Law. I saw it last week on The Passionate Eye and it's beyond fascinating. Both the Countess Mountbatten and her sister are in and I guess their Aunt Alice drove their Father crazy over how he'd sent her money in Athens and she'd in turn give it all to the poor.

Quite the lady she was. A brave one as well for her actions during WWII.

Oooooh...They just had a florist of today re make the then Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons Wedding Bouquet. Very simple, but very elegant too. A simple bouquet of White Roses of York w/Scottish Heather worked in among the outer edges to set off the roses and then tied all off w/a long white satin ribbon wrapped around the stems and then the edges trailing down to set off the rest of the look. While it's true to the times, I could also see it being used by a Bride today. It really was/is beautiful.

vCash

vCash
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

The following link brings up the video, and it's right at the top of the page and starts as soon as it's loaded, taken by a bystander while this happens and it shows everything happening!!

So click at your own discretion, but there's the warning.

Telegraph ~ Onlooker films knife-wielding man being tasered by police outside Buckingham Palace

My God...That looks like the knife my Parents use when they're cleaning fish after a day out. Knowing how sharp that thing is, I can easily imagine it would take very little pressure for this guy to do what he was obviously intending to do.

Glad HM and Phillip are still at Sandringham, but she will be horrified by this news regardless.

Just...

vCash
    The tests confirmed it: the remains found a few months ago are indeed those of Richard III.

Wow. I can't imagine what a thrill this must be for the researchers involved.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    There are a couple of Canadian angles to this story for those interested - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle8158525/

I wonder if renewed interest in Richard III (aside from the core group who's always been interested ) will lead to greater interest in Henry VII. As we well know, all the historic attention is on his son and granddaughter, when in fact Henry VII's reign was a very interesting time, and his impact continues to be felt today. Back when I was reading a lot about the Tudor period, I couldn't find anything readable (ie not decades old dry scholarly works) on his life and reign, and for that matter, much on Henry VIII before he became king (and even there, the first decade of his reign usually merits only a few paragraphs while writers race to get to the juicy parts).

I would love to see a new, well researched bio on Henry VII.

vCash
    So would I; particularly one focusing on his early life, before the "juicy" parts, which everyone thinks they know.

Re: Richard III:

Officials of the University of Leicester said plans were now in hand to bury the bones in Leicester’s Anglican cathedral, barely 100 yards from where the bones were found. A spokesman for the cathedral said that reburial would likely take place early next year as part of a memorial service honoring Richard as an English king.
    As it should be.
    I hope that this leads to a historical "reassessment" of his position; with the correction of the errors of history that have always surrounded him.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 02-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I wonder if renewed interest in Richard III (aside from the core group who's always been interested ) will lead to greater interest in Henry VII. As we well know, all the historic attention is on his son and granddaughter, when in fact Henry VII's reign was a very interesting time, and his impact continues to be felt today.
    I don't know much about Henry VII, but one of the things I always thought was interesting was that he was descended from the originally illegitimate, later legitimated Beaufort line - the great-grandson of John Beaufort, eldest of the four children born to the Duke of Lancaster and his then-mistress Katherine Swynford. I've only read the Anya Seton novelization about them, but I know there are some more serious books that I should check out. The Beauforts and their descendants were not supposed to inherit at all; Henry IV had tried to ensure that.

I'll admit that what little 15th century history I know is mostly from reading Dorothy Dunnett
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 02-04-2013 at 03:30 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    So would I; particularly one focusing on his early life, before the "juicy" parts, which everyone thinks they know.
    Indeed. One would think that in the endless writings about Henry VIII, it would be interesting to do a proper exploration of his childhood. The influence of his father (which I've barely seen written about) and his mother (which seems limited to insisting that his daughter by Anne was named for her), and the effect of his brother's early death for starters (the latter limited to some feeling of obligation to marry Katherine, but I've seen little about his actual relationship with his brother). Then there's the oddity of being raised as the Duke of York, not king, which surely would have some effect on his character and the way he eventually reigned. We know why he had the Duke of Buckingham executed, but by Henry VIII's reign, the spectre of pretenders to the throne is treated almost as a joke in the books and documentaries I've seen, but at the time, it was a really big deal that would have been a threat throughout his reign and indeed throughout the Tudor period. Finally, the thing I'd love to hear more about are the other adults who influenced Henry VIII as a youth, and his childhood friends. We know they were important because they all ended up in his court (notably the Duke of Suffolk), but I haven't seen anything that really examines who was around Henry as a child, and how they influenced him.

For Henry VII, I pretty much need the whole story All I know are little bits and pieces - all tantalizingly interesting!

If anyone knows of any good sources, please do share

vCash

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast