Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A Royal Double Birthday!

Happy 75th Birthday to HM The King of Spain..............

..............and a Happy 92nd Birthday to HRH Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    And here's to a year of much better health for HM King Juan Carlos, as over the course of this past year, HM just went downhill seemingly and looked more and more frail as 2012 went on.

Also a very Happy Birthday to Grand Duke Jean!!! It's been quite the year for him too w/two Grandchildren marrying, one becoming engaged and the possibility*** there might be another Great Grandchild on the way, he's had a very happy year this past one and here's to more joy and good health to HRH in 2012!!

***I say that because at both Weddings, Princess Tessy "looks" like she's carrying her and Louis' third child, but there's been no announcement, so all it is, is wondering if she is or not. But it looked even more like "She is" at the Hanover-Lorraine Wedding on the Weekend. Also, when they were expecting their second child, there was no formal announcement made then, so it wouldn't be the first time we hear nothing until after an actual birth.

So we keep wondering and watching.

vCash
    Happy 31st Birthday to HRH Catherine Duchess of Cambridge!!!!

vCash
    ...........and HMQ gave the Duchess a FABULOUS birthday present!

*HUGE NEWS!!!!*

It appears that HMQ has issued letters patent that ALL children born to William & Catherine will be given the title and style of His/Her Royal Highness Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland!!!

Under George V's letters patent of 1917, their daughters would only be known as "The Lady So-and-So" (like daughters of a duke).

However, since the Commonwealth realms have accepted a change in the succession laws, ALL of William and Kate's progeny will be TRULY royal!!!!!

I'm plotzing so hard right now..........

From the Bloc
    vCash
    That's wonderful - although one part of the wording could cause trouble in future, no?

"All the children of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales should enjoy the style, title and attribute of Royal Highness with the titular dignity of Prince or Princess prefixed to their Christian names."
    To me that reads if Kate and William have several children, then once their grandfather is King and William is Prince of Wales, only his oldest son's children get to be princes and princesses. Have I read that right?

vCash
    That's wonderful!
    Wishing the Duchess a fabulous birthday; and a great year to come.

vCash
    IIRC Jenny, I think that's part of the 1917 Letters Patent the Queen's Grandfather brought into play. Could be wrong of course. Especially as I haven't read the article as of yet.

I had a feeling the Queen would do this, but in a few months time, not now. Wonderful news regardless of the timing.

Oh...And while I was a day early w/Kate's Birthday, I completely yesterday was the Danish Royal Twins, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine, 2nd Birthday. Oops and Happy Belated Birthday to two of the cutest Royals out there.

eta ~ Now I've read it and you're right Jenny. That wording very well could lead to problems down the road. Funny no one caught that when the Letters Patent were being drawn up.

It just hit me....IMO I have a feeling that these LP are referring to William, as he is the eldest son of the PoW in 2013 and as it's William's children these LP will affect...

Just a thought.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-09-2013 at 11:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    That's wonderful - although one part of the wording could cause trouble in future, no?

To me that reads if Kate and William have several children, then once their grandfather is King and William is Prince of Wales, only his oldest son's children get to be princes and princesses. Have I read that right?
    Under the existing Letter Patent, the children of the sovereign and the children of the sons of the sovereign became princes and princesses along with the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. Eventually their Grandfather will become sovereign so they will get to be princes and princesses.

I am curious why she didn't change it to oldest child though.

vCash
    I wonder.........

IF Harry marries whilst HMQ is still alive, do you think will he be made a Duke/Earl/Baron like his big brother?

I am inclined to think yes.

I base my answer on the balcony appearance after the Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving, when HMQ basically introduced her plans for the "lean, mean monarchy machine" of the future, consisting of Chuck, Cams, Bill, Cathy, & Harry and the latter three's offspring. Also, the only Royal Dukedoms in the future (after the current Dukes of Kent and Gloucester pass) will be Cambridge (which will end when William becomes Prince of Wales), York (which ends with Andrew) and Edinburgh (which will pass to Edward and then little James.....).

Now, if the above scenario plays out, would HMQ issue an LP making Harry's potential daughters royal princesses? Or would they only be "The Lady So-and-So" until the day Charles ascends to the throne and they become royal princesses as per George V's LP of 1917?

Just some thoughts for a slow night on the Reference Desk .........who the hell knows until it happens.............
    Last edited by Fergus; 01-10-2013 at 12:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I wonder.........

IF Harry marries whilst HMQ is still alive, do you think will he be made a Duke/Earl/Baron like his big brother?

I am inclined to think yes. I base my answer on the balcony appearance after the Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving, when HMQ basically introduced her plans for the "lean, mean monarchy machine" of the future, consisting of Chuck, Cams, Bill, Cathy, & Harry and the latter three's offspring.

Now, if the above scenario plays out, would HMQ issue an LP making Harry's potential daughters royal princesses? Or would they only be "The Lady So-and-So" until the day Charles ascends to the throne and they become royal princesses as per George V's LP of 1917?

Just some thoughts for a slow night on the Reference Desk .........who the hell knows until it happens.
    But it sure is fun to spectulate over, isn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    But it sure is fun to spectulate over, isn't it?
    Goodness, yes!

Here's another doozy: IF (heaven forbid!) Andrew passes BEFORE Charles ascends the throne, will Harry receive the the Dukedom of York when his father is king, as is traditional for the second son of the Sovereign?

I would think should that situation arise (and I hope it doesn't! I rather like Andrew....and he was SO FOXY during the Falkland War!!!), out of sensitivity to the two Princesses of York, Harry would be given another title.

vCash
    Some articles I've found during my online travels tonight...

This is such a great photo essay to go through. Back in June, the Daily Mail did a rundown of all the Babies that HM The Queen is the Godmother of or who were born during her 60 years on the Throne w/in the Family/Relations...

Daily Mail ~ Nappy and Glorious ~ As Her Majesty celebrates 60 years on the throne, we present a gorgeous gallery of her relatives and godchildren born within her reign

The picture of Peter Phillips...All you can see is Savannah there. At least I do.

Our favourite blog The Order of Splendour has it's January page up and running w/their coverage of the Danish New Year Levees, as well as a few other events and the usual weekly stand alones. This year's first New Year's Levee was particularly special as HM Queen Margrethe II wore her Ruby Jubliee present from the People and Govt of Greenland for the very first time : The Naasut Tiara.

Hmmmm....Well....It's really, really, really golden, isn't it? I'm on the fence still w/this one.

The Japanese Imperial Family's Annual New Year's Reception is also covered over there. I learned something new the other day speaking of the JRF...The reason why when you see the Empress and/or the Princesses wearing tiaras, we'll only see them wearing Diamond Tiaras is because in Japan, white is considered to be a sacred colour.

Not that nothing but all Diamond Tiaras is a bad thing mind you.

Anyway...I just thought that was an interesting little tidbit.

And in a more serious note...

Washington Post ~ British bishops resist move to allow monarch to marry a Catholic

Sigh...Just when it looked like that portion of the new Succession Bill/Law wasn't going to go down this road...

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I wonder.........

I am inclined to think yes.

I base my answer on the balcony appearance after the Diamond Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving, when HMQ basically introduced her plans for the "lean, mean monarchy machine" of the future, consisting of Chuck, Cams, Bill, Cathy, & Harry and the latter three's offspring. Also, the only Royal Dukedoms in the future (after the current Dukes of Kent and Gloucester pass) will be Cambridge (which will end when William becomes Prince of Wales), York (which ends with Andrew) and Edinburgh (which will pass to Edward and then little James.....).
    Personally I think Harry does well as simply Prince Harry. When he marries, they will want to do something for the wife, so then I think they might get an Earldom so she can be a Countess while he stays as Prince Harry, who also happens to be an Earl.

While Charles might want to pass Duke of York to him as per tradition, that necessitates the death of his brother, so unless something drastic happens (hope not!), then I think it's just a dream. More likely to me is that when Andrew and Charles pass in old age, William will give the title to his second child - we could have our first Duchess of York without a Duke!

What I've always seen happening is that when William ascends the throne, with his trusty brother at his side, then Harry will get a dukedom. I'm thinking Suffolk, because the romantic in me wants him to have the same title that Henry VIII gave to his BFF from childhood, Charles Brandon. Far as I know, there hasn't been a Duke of Suffolk in centuries, so what fun to bring back what was once an important and powerful title, and how suitable to their close relationship.

vCash
    I have a question- if Kate's daughter is a Princess, does that mean she outranks Kate, who is only a Duchess?

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have a question- if Kate's daughter is a Princess, does that mean she outranks Kate, who is only a Duchess?
    Kate is known as Duchess of Cambridge because her husband was given the title. Otherwise, she would have assumed her husband's name and been known as Princess William (like Princess Michael of Kent is actually named Marie-Christine).

ETA: forgot to add that Kate's children will likely not "outrank" her in order of precedence. The Queen decreed that the Duke of Edinburgh takes precedence over his children. The order of succession, or who inherits the throne, is a completely different thing.
    Last edited by Alixana; 01-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Tried to find the official on this and couldn't, but reading another article I'm now realizing that the announcement that stated "the eldest son of the Prince of Wales" was actually specifically referencing William. In official communication, they always use titles rather than names, and I mistook the formality of it to be a general reference all future Princes of Wales.

So, not sure if this an exception for William (who the Queen must REALLY approve of), or if it's for all time - but Charles and William can take care of that in time.

vCash

However, since the Commonwealth realms have accepted a change in the succession laws, ALL of William and Kate's progeny will be TRULY royal!!!!!
    The Commonwealth realms didn't just accept it, they forced it. Unless I'm mistaken, it was New Zealand which proposed the change, not the UK.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    The Commonwealth realms didn't just accept it, they forced it. Unless I'm mistaken, it was New Zealand which proposed the change, not the UK.
    Well, for New Zealand!

OT: They just had a new episode of HouseHunters International with a nice young UK couple looking for a home in Wellington, NZ. As we say in NY, it looked GAW-jus.

vCash
    Color me confused. Isn't William still a Prince? Did getting the additional title of Duke downgrade his princely qualities?

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Color me confused. Isn't William still a Prince? Did getting the additional title of Duke downgrade his princely qualities?
    Yep, he's still a prince, he's just called by his new title of Duke of Cambridge. Like Andrew and Edward are still princes but they're mainly called by their titles (Duke and Earl respectively).

Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast