Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    There's absolutely no way that a future Queen of England will be named Diana. My bet is still on one of her names being Frances, as a nod to Diana as well as Kate's father, whose middle name is Francis.

Charlotte Frances Elizabeth folks - place your bets!!
    I think it's very likely that if they have a girl, she will get Diana as one of her middle names; absolutely not as her first name, however.

Too bad that they'll likely have to stick with something traditional and can't just pick a name they like personally, as Victoria and Daniel did with Princess Estelle and Maxima and Willem-Alexander did with their triple-A daughters.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I still think Frances is the perfect solution - it honours both Diana and William's grandmother, plus it's Kate's father's and grandfather's middle name in the male form, so all in all a good family name, well known to be Diana's middle name, and not controversial. I can only imagine that if Diana was any of her names that the press would constantly be using her full name or even daring to nickname her Little Di or something. I was a big Diana fan, but I don't see any upside to using her name, and I do see a lot of downsides.

btw, Charlotte is also Pippa's middle name and Elizabeth is Kate's own middle name, as well as her mother's. I think it would be lovely to have a set of names that mean something on both sides of the family while at the same time honouring tradition and the child's very special position in British history.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Here's some fun - another society wedding over the weekend, this time the Duke of Northumberland's daughter, with many of the young royals and other well-known names in attendance. Kate didn't attend of course, but William and Harry were groomsmen, and the chief bridesmaid was Harry's ex Chelsea Davy - and he brought his latest girlfriend along with him. Pippa was there, as were Beatrice and Eugenie - as usual the Daily Mail has a great spread of photos.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    that's the best chelsy ever looked and she still looks sort of rough and old. except for the bride, everyone looks sort of budget.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I think after all the legal changes and all the widespread do/don't name her Diana talk all over the web...Baby Cambridge is going to disappoint everyone but his parents by being a boy.

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    To be honest, I'd like it all better if Baby Cambridge was a boy. With the large number of future females in line to the thrones of Europe.....Prince Christian of Denmark is being slowly outnumbered by the ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    I agree but the British press love to show how they 'speak' for the common people (sarcasm very heavy here) and they would assume nothing less than Diana would be good enough for the daughter of William. I actually like your suggestion if the baby is a girl. What about if it is a boy?
    Shlomo Raghavendra Abdullah.

vCash
    Boy name:

George Charles Phillip Arthur

vCash
    I hope they have a boy just because everyone I know wants them to have a girl since "girls are better".

I'd suggest James for baby Cambridge as it's my favorite male name, but there's Viscount Severn, and also Kate's brother, so. I'm thinking George, or Alexandra, or Charlotte for the name.

vCash
    Here is an interesting blog post with a good deal of history about possible names:

http://waltzingmorethanmatilda.com/t...ng-traditions/

vCash
    Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 24m
    Palaces of Princess Diana, Henry VIII to star on PBS http://usat.ly/15yfBbE via @USATODAY

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Boy name:

George Charles Phillip Arthur
    I doubt it- while he would almost certainly have at least one of those names in the mix- that's pretty much his grandfather's exact name (Charles Philip Arthur George). It won't be that similar.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Arthur is a nice name and it hasn't been used as a first name in a while. Perhaps Arthur Henry Philip James?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Per one article I read, Arthur is currently a pretty popular name in Britain. But somehow, given the King Arthur legends, I just don't see it as a first name. And the article I linked points out that royal children are rarely given first names of living monarchs or other living royal relatives so that rules out several first names especially for boys: Charles, Henry, Edward, James, Phillip, Andrew, Michael...and Elizabeth and Anne for girls.

I would love it if they would go way back and pick something like Edmund or Matilda. But not so far back that we have Prince Aethelred.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Other thank the legendary one, the only Arthur that comes to mind is Henry VIII's older brother, who was supposed to be king but died before his father Henry VII did. He was also married to Catherine of Aragon, and after he died, she hung around until Henry was old enough and then married him. Doesn't seem like a prime choice to me.

I read that article, but a lot of it seems to be along the lines of sports betting - playing at numbers to guess the odds, but still guesses. Traditions are being broken now, and while I'm sure that the Queen must approve the name and has had a lot of input, I think we might see some breaking with tradition too, with her full approval.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Other thank the legendary one, the only Arthur that comes to mind is Henry VIII's older brother, who was supposed to be king but died before his father Henry VII did. He was also married to Catherine of Aragon, and after he died, she hung around until Henry was old enough and then married him. Doesn't seem like a prime choice to me.

I read that article, but a lot of it seems to be along the lines of sports betting - playing at numbers to guess the odds, but still guesses. Traditions are being broken now, and while I'm sure that the Queen must approve the name and has had a lot of input, I think we might see some breaking with tradition too, with her full approval.
    The Queen has, throughout her reign, struck a very careful balance between changing with the times and maintaining and solidifying tradition. Somehow, I think the name of a future monarch is going to land in the maintaining and solidifying tradition side.

vCash
    Jane

Victoria could have been a good choice, but since there's already Crown Princess Victoria, I guess not.

Considering that most of the previously used male names are already taken within the current royal family, they'll either have to go with George, pick a name that someone already has, or look well in to the past. Er... Stephen? I can't see them naming a boy Richard or John.

It would be much more efficient if they had something like the Danish tradition of alternating names.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Given the continuing controversy over Richard III I don't think they want to touch that one either

I do agree it will be at least somewhat traditional - no Tiffany for example! - but I think there might be a little nudge that reflects the modernization the Queen has been gradually putting into place, that will most certainly continue by the time William takes the throne. They have been very welcoming to Kate, putting her in solid position of prominence from the very beginning, and I think she will have some say in naming her children, as will William of course - they respect their position though, so I'm sure we won't see a Beatrice or Eugenie either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And the article I linked points out that royal children are rarely given first names of living monarchs or other living royal relatives
    But is the article correct?

The future George VI and his wife, Elizabeth, named their eldest daughter Elizabeth .
    The future George V and his wife, Mary, named two of their children George and Mary.
    The future Edward VII, christened Albert Edward, and his wife, Alexandra, named their eldest son Albert.
    Queen Victoria and her husband, Prince Albert, named their two eldest children Victoria and Albert (i.e., Albert Edward, later Edward VII).
    George III and his wife, Charlotte, named their eldest son George and their eldest daughter Charlotte.

It appears that the article is basing its analysis on the Queen's generation and those of her children and grandchildren. But that doesn't mean the Cambridges will follow suit.

vCash
    From a today.com article: "Odds are, the newest heir to the throne, the soon-to-be born first child of Prince William and Duchess Kate, will be a seven-pound brunette named Alexandra who will make her arrival on July 17. At least, that’s what thousands of Brits are betting on."

Selfishly, I hope it's not Alexandra! It's the name of my first daughter and I don't want it to go through the roof in popularity ;-)

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast