Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

vCash
    Article of interest:

Exhibition - Evolution of Royal Style - 1950's -1990's
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...e-changed.html

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    For those that are both pictured on the Royals and on a mannequin, I think they look better on the mannequin. Bar that first Princess Diana dropped waist monstrosity, it wouldn't look good on anybody or anything.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    For those that are both pictured on the Royals and on a mannequin, I think they look better on the mannequin. Bar that first Princess Diana dropped waist monstrosity, it wouldn't look good on anybody or anything.
    I think that could be said for Princess Margaret's turban (to be worn with a caftan! ). Though I think I could picture it on Margaret Rutherford playing Lady Bracknell.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    It only shows how extreme fashions were during that period, with all those "ethnic" influences.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    The Norman Hartnell and Hardy Amies gowns created for HM are exquisite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    The Norman Hartnell and Hardy Amies gowns created for HM are exquisite.
    Agreed; those are my favorites...so elegant...so pretty!

vCash
    Mine as well!

The gown HM wore for the opening of New Zealand's Parliament is stunning.
    What a tiny waist!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    My PBS station (Buffalo/Toronto) is airing "A Queen is Crowned" on Sunday at 9pm
    Thanks for the heads up, as I didn't know and I'll have to DVR it for the Collection.

Speaking of that...I saved my money and when in Toronto for CSOI Toronto, picked up a mini iPad and *love* it!! Anyway...Over at iTunes, the following are available...

Monarchy : The Royal Family At Work
    Britain's Royal Weddings

And a documentary on the then Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Phillip Mountbatten RN's Wedding. Or what was able to be shown of it, as the actual ceremony wasn't filmed, but was recorded. Also w/this documentary is footage of either Prince George and Princess Marina or Prince Henry and Princess Alice's Wedding Day Balcony scene and at one point, King George V lifts a little Princess Margaret up in his arms in order to see the crowds. I've never seen that footage ever before, so it was worth it just for that. However...What I didn't know until after downloading it, when you get the Britain's Royal Weddings two part documentary, you also get the BBC's complete coverage of William and Kate's Wedding along w/their Engagement Interview in full too. I literally did a double take when I saw that as it's not part of the description of it over there.

Just thought I'd mention it for those interested.

Also don't forget we're in the Home Stretch towards the Swedish Royal Wedding on the 8th of June. In fact, Daniel, Carl Phillip and other friends of Chris' "kidnapped him" yesterday for his Bacholor Party. The second of two as his friends in the States also gave him one in NY apparently.

I was saying to Mom earlier today I should dig out the set of Coronation glasses I got at a Yard Sale about 20 yrs ago for this weekend. Just to show them off and mark the day in my own way.

BTW...This is actually a Double Coronation Year in the UK. There's the 60th of the Present Queen, but this year also marks the 175th Anniversary of Queen Victoria's Coronation too. I was shocked to read that over at The Royal Forums last night, as you'd think there would have been more of a fuss made about it, but...Nope!!

flo...Think of all of us who would love to be w/you watching that presentation this weekend. I hope it does get shown somewhere and time here in NA.

vCash
    Queen Elizabeth's new portrait gets scathing criticism.

A Bloke with a Wig

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    they made her face fleshier and falling in on itself, like a half fallen souffle ((qe2))
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Queen Elizabeth's new portrait gets scathing criticism.

A Bloke with a Wig
    From the linked article, the artist had this to say:
    Philipps defended herself, saying she knew the reviews would be critical. She also pointed out her portrait is large and shows the queen standing next to her Corgis - but the stamp is only a head-shot.
    I wonder if the Corgis were depicted more favorably. Anyone have a link to the full portrait, including the ?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Here you go. Click on the image to see the whole thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...zoomed-picture
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Here you go. Click on the image to see the whole thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...zoomed-picture
    Thanks! I do think that the Corgi on the right is quite cute and should be well pleased with his/her likeness , but the foremost Corgi was painted at a most unflattering angle.

vCash
    A more important event:

Queen Elizabeth visits Woolwich:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/604179/pho...ad-uk-soldier/

It's wonderful to see HM.
    Even though she may undertake fewer overseas trips; and wants to allow the "younger" Royals an increasing place in official duties, she hardly seems to be "failing", as some media have reported.

I envy those in the UK who will be able to watch the coverage of the anniversary of HM's Coronation.

Vacant
    vCash
    I don't know if this will work outside the UK but here is an online stream for BBC Parliament:

http://www.filmon.com/#BBC-Parliament

If not then I guess using a proxy site would help?

vCash
    Heads up Canadians! CPAC will be broadcasting the Coronation starting at 10:15am Eastern on Sunday. It's scheduled to go till 5:30 so I am guessing it is the same as the BBC Parliament broadcast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    Heads up Canadians! CPAC will be broadcasting the Coronation starting at 10:15am Eastern on Sunday. It's scheduled to go till 5:30 so I am guessing it is the same as the BBC Parliament broadcast.
    Thank-you so much! Just caught your message and set the PVR.

vCash
    Twitter:

Melanie Backe-Hansen ‏@HouseHistorian 2h
    I love these old photos! "In pictures: Queen's Coronation 1953" http://bbc.in/11tf1ar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Article of interest:

Exhibition - Evolution of Royal Style - 1950's -1990's
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...e-changed.html
    I think all the dresses are hideous although some of the fabric shown is lovely. The sari material is especially gorgeous but I don't like what they did with it. An actual sari is much more beautiful. The worst is Diana's one shoulder dress. If the one shoulder is a skinny strap it can be ok but I hate that lop-sided look with one arm bare & the other in a long sleeve.

Vacant
    vCash
    Well I just got through watching the Coronation - it was.....long but the ceremony itself was incredibly moving. I do wonder though as to any modifications that could be made to the ceremony for the next coronation to make it more relevant to the 21st century.

Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast