Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    That is hilarious!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Some more Richard III article links...

Telegraph ~ Richard III to be re-interred in major ceremony at Leicester Cathedral

There's a really great video w/members of the Team talking about the discovery w/that too. Also two pictures of the full skeleton and w/the curvature of the spine...Amazing he was able to fight or ride a horse or just plain walk!!

And I love this....

Dr Buckley had previously sought to downplay his chances of success, saying he would "eat his hat" if the King was discovered. He said today: "One of my colleagues made me some hat-shaped cakes. I've eaten one of those."

Daily Mail ~500 years on, the grisly secrets of Richard III's lost grave are revealed: King discovered under car park was stripped, tied up and suffered 'humiliation wounds' after his death

This one also has a picture of the entire skeleton, but this one, it shows by arrows and lines where each blow happened and how it likely happened, as well as also pointing out certain things that need changed in the history books. Such as how Richard III had a withered arm, but the arm bones of the skeleton completely tosses that out the window. Chilling to look over, but at least it does appear the blow from the halberd was the killing blow. He either would have knocked out or killed outright from that, so at least when the winning forces of Henry Tudor/Henry VII did the rest of what they did, Richard was already gone.

Poor comfort, but...I know I'm not stating what I'm meaning here well, but I hope it's coming across.

Also from the Daily Mail...

To bury Richard III in Westminster Abbey would finally give a proper national resting place to our most unfairly maligned monarch of all

It's since been announced Richard will be staying at Leicester Cathedral, only in a proper manner this time, and also a Memorial Service held, but this also brings up pretty fair points as to why there should be a State Funeral and internment at the Abbey. At least IMO.

And before I forget...That skull/facial reconstruction is amazing!!! Eerie just how much it looks like the portraits, as in that time, portraits weren't always a true likeness of the real person, so... Really amazing!!

vCash
    Since this has nothing to do w/finding Richard III's remains, I'm going to do a separate post about this...

When I saw this a few minutes ago, I literally started to drool. The needleworker in me is just in utter amazement and admiration and envy too. Stunning!!

Life Gives You Lemons ~ 18th Century Costume Archives: Embroidered Dutch Wedding Gown

A pity the museum has given the dummy that horrific drapy head thing.

vCash
    Disappointed to hear that Richard of York will not be reburied in York Minster.

Even the mnemonic to remember the order of colours in a rainbow is after him - Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain (red orange yellow green blue indigo violet)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post

Even the mnemonic to remember the order of colours in a rainbow is after him - Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain (red orange yellow green blue indigo violet)
    Agree he should be buried in York, and my second choice would be Westminster. It's not like he was under Leicster's carpark because he liked the area.

However, lol, I think that mnemonic is very much a UK thing...never heard it before!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    grrr board software and double posting....

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Super excited! Nice UPS man has just delivered The Winter King, can't wait to start it tonight! Will be sure to report back in once I'm into it for those who might be interesting in reading as well.

Thanks again to cygnus and danceronice for alerting me to it.

vCash
    Not so fast....Seems York isn't going to just lie down and put up w/how the decision of reinterring Richard III in Leicester...

Yahoo News ~ Bones of contention: Cities fight over Richard III

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Agree he should be buried in York, and my second choice would be Westminster. It's not like he was under Leicster's carpark because he liked the area.

However, lol, I think that mnemonic is very much a UK thing...never heard it before!
    sorry, yes it is

re the carpark, I'm not sure whether you have seen the documentary following the search for Richard, but his remains were found under a parking bay marked with a large 'R' (as in reserved) but spooky, eh?
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    I believe that he should be interred in York Minster.
    However, the service should have representatives of all the areas/Diocese involved.
    Certainly, HMQ should send a member of the Royal family to the service, also.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Certainly, HMQ should send a member of the Royal family to the service, also.
    If she does (and I'm sure she will) it should of course be her cousin Richard the Duke of Gloucester!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash

FWIW, Richard, Duke of York was the father of Edward IV and Richard III. Before becoming king, Richard III was Richard, Duke of Gloucester.

vCash
    re the carpark, I'm not sure whether you have seen the documentary following the search for Richard, but his remains were found under a parking bay marked with a large 'R' (as in reserved) but spooky, eh?
    Nah, the whole sequence that resulted in his ending up there was recorded on film.

vCash
    On this day in English Royal History....One of the greatest rivalries was ended by three swings of an axe...

Being Bess ~ On This Day in Elizabethan History: The Execution of Mary Queen of Scots

I'm still undecided on which movie I have access to and also has Mary's execution as part of the storyline to watch tonight. It's either the excellent Elizabeth I w/the awesome Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons or Elizabeth : The Golden Age w/Cate Blanchett. Hmmmm....What a choice to make.

But a fun one as I love both productions.

vCash
    It appears that while the People of York want Richard to come home, York Minister has other thoughts....

BBC News ~ York and North Yorkshire ~ York Minister says Richard III should be buried in Leicester

I am so envious of Kaitlyn Osmond....This is going to be in one of her training areas, the West Edmonton Mall....

Princess Diana's Wedding Dress arrives in Canada for poignant retrospective

Would love the chance to see it. Sigh....

And...

London Evening Standard ~ Riders on the lawn ~ Showjumpers to compete in William and Kate's Garden

vCash
    Found yet another Royal event on YouTube...

Zara Phillips Christening

The only thing from Zara's Christening I've ever seen, is that picture of Anne, Zara and Peter and then in B&W only. So this was a lovely surprise to find. Especially as when it starts playing, Zara is quite comfy and happy in Granny's arms. Now when have we seen the Queen holding any of her Grandchildren when they were babies? I don't ever recall any other time, so it was a nice surprise at the start of this.

I think the reason why Zara's Christening wasn't covered as much as Big Brother Peter's, wasn't so much as she was Princess Anne's daughter and w/no title not as much as a fuss, so much as they snuck the occasion in before another big event : her Uncle Charles' Wedding a couple of days later. IIRC, this happened three or four days before Charles and Diana's Wedding, *if* I'm remembering the date right that is.

Regardless...It really was a nice surprise to see this pop up on the right hand side menu when I was watching something else.

ETA ~ it seems to be my night for finding Royal Christenings on YouTube....

Prince Harry's Christening and William Being A Little Devil ~ 1984
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 02-09-2013 at 08:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    FWIW, Richard, Duke of York was the father of Edward IV and Richard III. Before becoming king, Richard III was Richard, Duke of Gloucester.
    I understood that 'York' in the mnemonic refers to the House of York
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Nah, the whole sequence that resulted in his ending up there was recorded on film.

'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Have a few things to share...

From our friends at Order of Splendour...

Wedding Wednesday ~ Wedding Wednesday: Princess Charlotte's Gown

Even if this isn't the complete gown, it's still stunning!! Would loved to have seen it "moving" under candlelight as it was the night Charlotte wed Leopold. There's a YouTube video that goes along w/this when it was part of a Historic Royal Wedding Gowns exhibit a few years ago. BTW, anyone willing to take a guess at which of those gowns needed the most conservation work done on it? It will surprise you.

For those wondering who Princess Charlotte was, she was the only legitimate Grandchild of George IV and when she died along w/her stillborn baby son, the only legitimate heirs had also passed away. This ended up producing what I've seen mentioned as The Great Royal Baby Race, as Charlotte's Uncles all got married to proper Princesses of the proper faith as set by the Royal Marriages Act. Out of all of these proper arranged marriages was born a baby girl to the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

A little girl called Alexandrina Victoria.

History tells her tale far better than I could.

In other Royal News....

Well, this isn't really news, but gave me a good laugh when I saw it.

Richard III World's Greatest Hide and Seek Player!!

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie took their Family to the slopes this week, but the star of the show was little Princess Athena...

Hello ~ Adorable Princess Athena keeps her cool

Yesterday was a sad Anniversary in Tudor History...

The Anne Boleyn Files ~ The Executions of Catherine Howard, Jane Boleyn, Francis Dereham and Thomas Culpeper

The first details of what will be happening on April 30th concerning The Abdication of Queen Beatrix and The Investiture of Their Majesties King Wilem-Alexander and Queen Maxima have been released...

Royal News ~
    30 April: details of programme for abdication of Queen Beatrix and installation of King Willem-Alexander announced

New Official Pictures of Their Majesties The King and Queen of Sweden have been released. HM is wearing the entire Sapphire Parure for the Formal Picture BTW...

My Royals ~ NEW OFFİCİAL PHOTOS OF KİNG CARL GUSTAF AND QUEEN SİLVİA

You know, it's been driving me nuts for the last year or two because I *knew* the King looked awfully like someone I know or knew. It's only been the last few weeks it's clicked. I've been watching old Carol Burnett skits on YouTube and it's Harvey Korman!!! It's eerie too just how much the King today looks like Harvey did back then. *Very* eerie.

Well...They do say everyone has their twin in the World, so...

The person who runs The Order of Splendour posted this to the Queen Mum Jewellry thread over at The Royal Forums MB...

Pictures of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother and every tiara she wore during her lifetime after becoming first HRH The Duchess of York

Sigh...I wish the work needed to restore The Strathmore Tiara in order for it to be worn again could or would be done. It's a personal favourite of mine and too pretty to not be seen ever again.

And...From Sweden....

Here's a copy of the cover of a special magazine being published to mark a very special little girl's First Birthday!!

Hard to believe that both Athena and Estelle are/almost One. The year has certainly flown, hasn't it?

vCash
    Royal News ~
    30 April: details of programme for abdication of Queen Beatrix and installation of King Willem-Alexander announced
    Do we know if any of these will be streamed or televised?

Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast