Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Exactly!!

It's a historic day today in Serbia...

The Royal Family of Serbia ~ HM King Peter II Returns Home After 72 Years

Can't imagine the levels of negotiations that had to take place for this to happen, but good on the Government to do it and also this could help to put that particular Chapter of History behind them.

On a different note...Happy Birthday HRH the Countess of Wessex!!! May Sophie have enjoyed a lovely day w/Edward, the kids and lots of cake!!

ETA ~ This is just too cute...The Spanish RF at a Tennis Match between Federer and Nadal and two little girls being entertained by a Crown Princess.

YouTube ~ Letizia, Sofia and Irene along w/the others enjoy a Tennis Match...Sort of.

and...

Felipe and Letitiza celebrate Spain's 2010 World Cup win...

Celebrating Spain's Winning the World Cup

Don't you love it when the Royals act just like us?
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-21-2013 at 02:05 AM.

vCash
    Sorry for the double post, but this really does need it's own post...

This just popped up on my Twitter feed...

Pink News ~ MPs to plan for gay royals marrying same-sex partners and their children becoming king or queen

While it's the right time to start talking about this w/the current changes about to be made to the Succession Laws, I don't see this going through right now. Simply because it's the first time it's been brought up and considering the Church of England's "feelings" *and* how traditionalists still make up the back bone of British Government and....

Do I think it should happen? Of course. Do I think it's going to happen this time? Sadly no.

vCash
    Surprised no posts about Prince Harry's interview on ending his second tour of duty in Afghanistan. Here's a couple of articles and one of them is...Well...Pot calling kettle black a bit?

Telegraph ~ How dare the Guardian sneer at Prince Harry?

The Khaleej Times ~ Taleban say Harry has a mental issue

I remember Prince Charles being asked about Harry training for the Apache last year and Charles saying he wouldn't be able to do it because so much of it now is so computerized and as Harry grew up playing computer games, it wasn't a problem for Harry or for William. Not the first time either I've heard that this Generation training to be pilots has it a bit easier due to their exposure to video games.

Just putting out there in contrast to the above article link.

ETA ~ Just saw this at The Royal Forums...

The Prince and Princess of Prussia, Georg Friedrich and Sophie, have welcomed twin sons. Prince Carl Friedrich and Prince Louis Ferdinand were born on January 20th, in Bremen, Germany.
    Prince Carl Friedrich is the Heir Apparent. Congratulations to TI&RH on their two little blessings!!!
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-23-2013 at 06:49 AM.

vCash
    Really great documentary, which has many of the bits and pieces we've seen over the last two days. Amazing how things can be twisted to suit whatever the news organization wants, huh?

YouTube ~ British Forces News Special ~ Prince On A Mission

And Harry is now home and on UK Soil.

Welcome Home Captain Wales and all of his mates in his Squadron!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Here's an interesting little story about a "lost" photo of Diana as a teen - People. Aside from the price, the fact that "not to be published" is scrawled across the image made me click on the link within the article to see where it came from. Nice picture of her though!

vCash
    Was this the first time you heard about this picture Jenny? It came to light just before the Holidays IIRC and I knew the auction was coming up soon, but didn't realize it was today. I hope it went somewhere where it will be displayed properly and admired.

Just found this...

The Royal Collection ~ The Queen's Coronation 1953

I would *love* an up close look at HM Coronation Gown. That is a Masterpiece of beading and embroidery work. Sigh...

vCash
    Just wanted to post this clip. I love it, think it shows how seriously Captain Wales aka Prince Harry takes his job. Here, he is a solider and not a prince.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ghanistan.html

vCash
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cr...er-than-diana/

Clearly a slow news day. I don't think one should make the kind of generalizations this writer is making. I think the Duchess is doing a great job of her current role (supporting her husband,) and she will probably be a good mother. That said, I do wish writers would stop with the "grueling workload" comments. Kate has had anything but a grueling workload - which is just fine and probably healthier in the long run. Diana, on the other hand, had an extremely grueling workload right from the start - which I think was unhealthy and probably contributed to her problems later on. I also think Charles and Diana, for all their own marital problems, did a fabulous job as parents.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    This was posted to Twitter last night...

Telegraph ~ Queen Mother pleaded for Charles not to be schooled in Scotland

Reading the excerpts from the letter, it's amazing just how well she knew Charles and how dead on accurate her fears were too. A pity he wasn't sent to Eton, but the past is the past.

Speaking of the past...

English Historical Fiction Authors Blog ~ The Death of Henry VIII: Demolishing the Myths

Really fascinating read that is.

As for reading....I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of The Reluctant King by Susan Bradford and is considered to be *the* definative biography on King George VI. Having gotten as far as the day after the Abdication taking place, I can understand why. I can't put the thing down and especially the last couple days as the Abdication Crisis played itself out to it's sad end.

You know something? After reading that part and of the strain and stress that was on the entire Family during it, I'm amazed none of them suffered a nervous breakdown. Especially Prince Albert/King George VI.

It also brings home in vivid detail just how inept King Edward VIII/The Duke of Windsor *really* was. The more I learn, especially over the last few years w/the declassification of so many documents having taken place and now accessible to the Public, the more I feel grateful he met Wallis and then abdicated. The thought of someone w/the political views and beliefs as he had on the Throne during WWII just chills me to my core when I think, "What if?"

Anyway...If you can find a copy of this, GET IT!!! Seriously, it really should be in every Royal History library. JMO of course.

ETA ~ Was looking for something else over at YouTube and found this instead...

YouTube ~ Nat Geo ~ Britain's Nazi King

Did I say *I* was grateful he met Wallis and then abdicated? According to this, so was the British Government who by that time knew how inept/the political views Edward had.

And that's not even the big bombshell in this.

Brrr....
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-28-2013 at 08:54 AM.

vCash
    And now, some pretty major royal news: looks like Queen Beatrix is going to announce this evening that she will be abdicating in favor of Prince Willem-Alexander.

ETA: she did indeed, and the link now directs to a story confirming it. Prince Willem-Alexander will become king on April 30. This will make Princess Maxima a queen, right? And Catharina-Amalia will be the heir apparent.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 01-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.

vCash
    I was just checking the CBC to see what was going on in the World and then all that was heard here was me going, "OH MY GOSH!!!"

I'm surprised she did it now, as there was no warning and she and the Crown Prince Couple just got back from a major State Visit to back to back Countries.

Wow!!

ETA ~ Just thought of something...If we thought Maxima had fun in the Jewel Vault before this, can you imagine what we'll see on her after April 30th? Or even at the Installation Ceremony?

Fun to imagine....As bittersweet as it is it's happening at all right now.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-28-2013 at 10:59 PM.

vCash
    It looks like Kate is getting back into the swing of things...

Express ~ Fit again, Kate Middleton is back at work

vCash
    Artist Speaks Out Regarding his Middleton Portrait

“There’s a quotation an American friend of mine, the wife of an American artist, sent me in support,” Emsley said in a four-hour interview, his most extensive since going into seclusion after the portrait’s negative reception. “When Picasso was told his portrait of Gertrude Stein did not look like her, his response was, ‘It will.’ People will become acclimatized over time to something which is not something that they were expecting."

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont want to become acclimated to that picture. it's depressing.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I knew Pablo Picasso. Pablo Picasso was a friend of mine. Paul Emsley, you're no Pablo Picasso.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont want to become acclimated to that picture. it's depressing.
    Resistance is futile..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I knew Pablo Picasso. Pablo Picasso was a friend of mine. Paul Emsley, you're no Pablo Picasso.
    ...or John Singer Sargent!

vCash
    Well, with time Katherine will look older, so the picture won't be so off-the-mark in that respect. But I certainly hope that smirk doesn't replace her warm smile. BTW, have people really become "acclimated" to this portrait of the Queen? It's been more than 60 years now.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    That "portrait" bears no resemblance to HMQ, IMO.

vCash
    Historic Royal Palaces has put up a really great page for those of us interested in the Tudor era. They've done a separate Podcast for each person who was executed on Tower Green. I've only listened to the Anne Boleyn one, but it was excellent.

Historic Royal Palaces ~ The Tower of London ~ Podcasts 2013

For those of us who don't understand the Dutch Language, here is Queen Beatrix's Abdication Speech in full and in English...

Dutch News ~ The queen's abdication speech in full

This post over at The Royal Correspondent does an excellent explaination of how things will end up being after all is said and done on April 30th...

The Royal Correspondent ~ News Regarding His Royal Highness Prince Wilem-Alexander of Oranje

For the first time in the History of The Netherlands, the female heir will hold the title of HRH The Princess of Oranje, which is the title of the Heir, in her own right. When the Dutch updated/changed their Consititution to allow Equal Gender Inheirantence in the Royal Family a few years ago, that change was also made.

So Princess Catharina-Amalia will become The Princess of Oranje in her own right and that will be a first for the Dutch.

It's not clear, but it's hoped for, that same policy (lack of a better word) will end up being put into the British changes of the Succession Act now being discussed. So that if this little one of Kate and William's does end up being a little girl, when the time comes, she will be Princess of Wales in her own right.

At least, it's hoped that will happen.

Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast