Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This Washington Post Style Blog review of Emsley's portrait of Kate is apropos. Dickens is so presciently quoted

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/..._lifestyle_pop

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Maybe this is gonna sit in an attic and turn decrepit whilst HRH stays young and fresh forever.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Some lovely news from the Netherlands today...

Prince Floris and his wife Princess Aimee will be making Princess Margriet and her husband Prof Pieter van Vollenhoven Grandparents again sometime in July. This will be their third child.

Also...TSH The Prince and Princess of Monaco met His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican today. The real buzz about this meeting though, is the colour Charlene wore...

The Royal Forums ~ Pope Benedict XVI meets the Prince and Princess of Monaco

The audience has also sparked rumours on whether Princess Charléne was granted the Privilége du blanc, as she wore a white dress and mantilla. The Privilège du blanc is currently held only by the Catholic Queens of Spain and Belgium and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, who are permitted to wear white when meeting the Pope.
    Wikipedia ~ Privilége du blanc

Ella Kay later tweeted she had confirmation Charlene did indeed have the right to wear white when meeting His Holiness due to Monaco being a Catholic Country/Principality. And....Here is the link to the pictures over at Getty Images.

ETA ~ Royal Correspondent ~ His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI Holds an Audience with TSHs Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco. (VIDEO)

And ETA Again ~ Release from CP Mary's Office about the Wildfires in Tasmania...

Royal Correspondent ~ News Regarding Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

I was wondering when we'd hear something from her about what's going on in Tasmania and if her Family and/or Friends are okay so far. So this Press Release isn't a shock, but I also wish she never had to make it. I don't know anyone in that part of Australia and my heart is shattered for what the people are having to deal w/. I can't imagine what Mary is going through w/having her Family and Friends smack in the middle of it all.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 01-13-2013 at 04:54 AM.

vCash
    This is too special to add on to that post of mine up there and more than deserves it's own posting. I found this over at TRF in the thread for King George V in the History section of the British Royals section over there...

YouTube ~ (Very Rare!) King George V & Queen Mary of England - Empire Day Messages (1923)

It's a broadcast on a record and the record is shown while the broadcast is played. Unreal this has survived over the years.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Is Monaco the only country that goes by His/Her Serene Highness instead of Royal? What's up with that?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Re: Kate portrait, here's the picture it was based on.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She looks OK in the picture but the portrait is
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I have no idea why they're HSH and not HRH Alisa, but the answer's got to be out there somewhere.

Discovered this thanks to that YouTube broadcast of TM on Empire Day. I didn't know it was up over there and have now added all of it to my personal playlist for future viewings.

Bertie and Elizabeth Part 1 of 11

This movie was made for part of the Golden Jubliee Celebration broadcasts and was shown two months after the Queen Mum's passing. It really is very good and I can't reccomend it highly enough.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Re: Kate portrait, here's the picture it was based on.
    Well, that explains the portrait. Not a good photo at all. Her hair is lifeless, she’s squinting a little even though the lighting is awful. And what’s with that awful background? The Duchess should have been posed in 3/4 profile, too, I believe. She’s a GORGEOUS woman and the pic and the portrait do her no justice at all.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Is Monaco the only country that goes by His/Her Serene Highness instead of Royal? What's up with that?
    Because Monaco is not a kingdom, it's a Principality- the ruler is a Prince, not a King. It's the same in Liechtenstein.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...portraits.html

When it comes to Kate's portrait, it seems there's always room for improvement...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ^^^
    Oh, dear...

vCash
    Well, the portrait looks very much like the picture. Maybe they were going for a realistic view of what she looks like, and not having her look so glamorous. Maybe that is more what she looks like plodding around the house, we only see her made up for appearances. It is unfortunate they chose such a poor picture of her to paint (where she does have bags under here eyes), but if that is what the artist was going for, he got it.

I still can't believe he changed her eye color on something that will be an historical record.

vCash
    So, the guesses on a July birthday for the new little Cambridge seems to have been proven right w/the announcement from the Palace earlier today. Which of course means we'll have to put up w/articles about how wonderful and special it would be if the baby was born on his/her late Grandmother's Birthday ad nauseam from here on out. Sigh...Oh well, it certainly would make it a special Canada Day this year if it did happen then, so that's how I'll look at it.

This also came across Twitter earlier today...

The Telegraph ~ Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie to work as UK trade ambassadors

Great for the girls and glad to see them finally being used as the asset they are to the Royals. Regardless of who their Parents are, which is the reason why so many seem to use them as their favourite targets at various places here and there online sadly.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Because Monaco is not a kingdom, it's a Principality- the ruler is a Prince, not a King. It's the same in Liechtenstein.
    Thank you, interesting.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I stumbled across this really interesting article over at The Tudor Trail and thought there'd be some here also interested to read it...

On The Tudor Trail ~ Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I's Coronation

Until I read this, I never realized that Anne had been shown/referenced in public on her Daughter's Coronation Day. Which considering everything....Is pretty amazing when you think of it and also as the article says, that wouldn't have happened w/out the consent of the Queen or at least her knowledge.

All in all, I found this information really interesting and does prove that Elizabeth did have some pride and affection for her Mother. You just have to look for it to find it. Such as the fact Elizabeth's personal emblem was a crowned white falcon holding a sceptre. Which is what Queen Anne Boleyn's emblem was.

I also now need to find this book all of this sprouted from. Which considering it's a book about Elizabeth and gardens is a fitting way to put it I guess. It really sounds interesting.

vCash
    ^ Today in 1559: Coronation of Elizabeth I.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I stumbled across this really interesting article over at The Tudor Trail and thought there'd be some here also interested to read it...

On The Tudor Trail ~ Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I's Coronation

Until I read this, I never realized that Anne had been shown/referenced in public on her Daughter's Coronation Day. Which considering everything....Is pretty amazing when you think of it and also as the article says, that wouldn't have happened w/out the consent of the Queen or at least her knowledge.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. Another way that Elizabeth honoured her mother was in finding places in court for her cousins/half siblings - Mary Boleyn's children. Catherine was a lady in waiting very close to Elizabeth, and Henry (generally thought to be the son of Henry VIII), was a trusted (and titled) advisor throughout Elizabeth's reign. Catherine's daughter, the infamous Lettice Knollys, was also a lady in waiting (until she sekretly married Robert Dudley!) I'd have to dust off some books I read a few years ago, but I believe she did a few favours for other members of the Boleyn family, including some of the Howards (Anne's mother's family - although that might have been more about keeping the Dukes of Norfolk happy).

vCash
    You're welcome Jenny. I just finished a book called Elizabeth The Great, can't remember the author's name and the book's upstairs, that focused on that in the last couple of chapters. How it was her cousin Philadelphia Carey who in Elizabeth's final hours was able to figure out her Royal Cousin wanted the Archbishop of Canterbury to continue praying at her bedside when he tried to leave twice. Also about just how close she and Catherine Carey were. To the point where Catherine and her husband were having problems finding time to simply be together w/each other.

Which considering how many children they had, they obviously did manage it.

I actually think if any of Mary Boleyn's two children are Henry VIII's, it's Catherine and not her brother. The reason why I think that is due to her daughter Lettice. All the portraits of hers that I've seen, she's the spitting image of her cousin Elizabeth. Now while there can be people who closely resemble others in the Family, for someone to be *that* closely looking to someone who is supposed to be her Cousin and....

It does make you wonder.

vCash

vCash
    Amazing what's on YouTube these days...

The Wedding of HRH The Prince of Wales to Lady Diana Spencer ~ July 29th 1981

Although I adored I Was Glad for Kate's walk down the aisle at Westminster, hearing The Prince of Denmark's March as Diana and her father walk down St. Paul's still gives me the chills.

And for those of us for some unknown reason didn't get the full version of the Diamond Jubilee Concert....

Enjoy in all it's HD Glory!!!

Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast