Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

vCash
    I know when I "delivered" my twins it was via C-section and an emergency one at that. During ultrasounds the two were always identified as Baby A and Baby B and it was Baby A who was removed from my womb first -- which was my son. One minute later, my daughter was delivered. That was 20 years ago. I would think that with the technology we have today, should Kate and Will be having twins, a determination will be made as to which is the "older" twin while they are still in the uterus. Then again, I could be completely off. Would not be the first time
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    How weird would it be if she was having twins, and end up having a C-section? The OBGYN would be determining who was the heir and who was the spare!
    If they were identical and the same gender maybe they could have a little fun with the heir and the spare designation. After all everyone needs a little time off...

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    On a *much* happier note...Today is Day One of the Nobel Awards Festivities. Which means Tiaras, more bling and Evening Gowns...

Order of Splendour ~ Royal Fashion Awards: The Nobel Prizes 2012, Part 1

Love, love, love Victoria's entire look and that includes the Four Button Tiara. I actually think that new row of diamonds along the base makes it look much better than w/out it. We've also got two firsts here too. First time for Victoria to wear the Family's Demi Parure and first time for Maddie and the Amethyst tiara and earrings. I've got to say that purple really helps bring out her eyes too.

Poor Queen Silvia does look a bit peaked as noted over there. Hope all it was, was nothing more than something minor like a wee bit of a tummy upset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I know when I "delivered" my twins it was via C-section and an emergency one at that. During ultrasounds the two were always identified as Baby A and Baby B and it was Baby A who was removed from my womb first -- which was my son. One minute later, my daughter was delivered. That was 20 years ago. I would think that with the technology we have today, should Kate and Will be having twins, a determination will be made as to which is the "older" twin while they are still in the uterus. Then again, I could be completely off. Would not be the first time
    My friend who had two sets of twins via c-sections said that both times they were designated prenatally and taken out based entirely on their position in the uterus.

I could see there being some uproar if she were to have fraternal boy-girl twins and the boy was born first. It would make the Toys R Us thread look like nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My friend who had two sets of twins via c-sections said that both times they were designated prenatally and taken out based entirely on their position in the uterus.

TWO sets???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    TWO sets???
    Less than two years apart.

She is currently pregnant with number seven (five and six were singletons as is this one). I love her, but I think she may be insane. Kids are twins 9, twins 7, 5 and 3.

vCash
    Someone in my mother's family had a 2 sets of twins; and then, triplets.
    Multiples seem to run in families.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Less than two years apart.

She is currently pregnant with number seven (five and six were singletons as is this one). I love her, but I think she may be insane. Kids are twins 9, twins 7, 5 and 3.
    Bless her heart. One set does me just fine .. as twins' dad says "one for either side of the fireplace"! If you could keep them still that long!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    TWO sets???
    I used to live across the street from a woman who had one daughter and then three sets of twins (all boys)

vCash
    One of my great-grandmothers was a twin, and gave birth to 2 sets of twins.

vCash
    By the time Kate's kids are old enough to inherit they may be fighting over who isn't the heir. And if there are boy/girl twins, in a C section situation IMO they should deliberately take the boy out first. I have often thought it would be a terrible burden for a girl. Besides, siblings of the heir seem to have all the fun.

vCash
    Great Grandma has done just fine, burden and all. Nothing makes it inherently more of a burden for a woman. Particularly in a country whose longest reigning and most successful monarchs have been women.

vCash
    My cousin was told she was having a girl with her first. Three ultrasounds. Every single time they were certain it was a girl. True story this: when her baby came out, the doctor announced "It's a boy!" and mother and grandmother (father not in the picture) exclaimed together: "WHAT???"
    Lol Brings back memories...I was told that my second child was a girl by my dr during my ultrasound. When my midwife caught the baby, she said "__________ this baby is a [B]boy[B] The nurse in the delivery room said "what was it supposed to be?" Midwife, my sister in law and myself all said at the same time "a Girl!" Love my second "girl" though and would not trade a single second with my son to have had him be a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    As horrible as it is, stress actually doesn't play a role in Hyperemesis gravidarum. It's thought to be closely related to pregnancy hormones. But please, don't let facts get in the way of the

In all seriousness, I hope she feels better soon. I had a friend who had it, and it was horrific for her. She's one of the few people I know who lost weight while pregnant, and that's not good for mother OR baby. My friend had it well into her second trimester, but normally it abates after the first. Fingers crossed!

With my daughter, I was so sick that I lost 25 pds in 3 months. Gained and lost 3 pounds until the last 3 weeks I was pregnant and ended up gaining 6 pounds total. She weighed 6 pds 7 oz. I came out of that pregnancy weighing a total of 40 pds less than when I got pregnant. It's so not fun when how close to a toliet you are runs your life or when all you've been able to put in your mouth all day has been seven up or sprite and then you throw that up too. I was told constantly that it had to be a girl because little girls only made their moms that sick because of the female hormones in both (even my dr predicted early in pregnancy that she was a girl because of the sickness). She was a great baby. Now, not so much! Lol

I did it again even knowing what I was setting myself up against. Wasn't quite as sick but lost 20 pds and gain 10 back. He weighed 6 pds 2 oz. Weighed 25 pds less from start of pregnancy when I delivered.
    Have you hugged your kids and told them you love them today?

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Great Grandma has done just fine, burden and all. Nothing makes it inherently more of a burden for a woman. Particularly in a country whose longest reigning and most successful monarchs have been women.
    I would agree with that. It's no harder for a woman than it is for a man. And women do it very well indeed. And modern monarchy, which is more social than political may be more suited to women than men.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    I suppose one could argue that being the consort is harder for men than woman. I think in Prince Phillip's case it has been difficult. His generation was so accustomed to the man being in charge. By the time William and Kate's little squeak is old enough to marry, who knows how things between men and women will be.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I think if you were to ask an average person to name some British monarchs, they would probably name both Elizabeth's, Victoria and Henry VIII.

vCash
    Are there twins in Kate's family? That would certainly up the stakes in that department.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I suppose one could argue that being the consort is harder for men than woman. I think in Prince Phillip's case it has been difficult. His generation was so accustomed to the man being in charge. By the time William and Kate's little squeak is old enough to marry, who knows how things between men and women will be.
    I think that was what was in my mind. When I was a kid it was pretty much common knowledge that Elizabeth & Phillip had an arranged marriage & that he was not a devoted husband....in fact he was pretty much a playboy. Would he have married her otherwise?

I think it would be hard to be a powerful woman with a spouse who has no power at all, esp if you have doubts about whether he really wanted to marry you. On second thought, it wasn't any better when the man was the royal in the case of Charles & Diana. (It was pretty clear she was hand-picked & that both Charles & Diana talked themselves into "oh we're so in love" when they weren't in the least.)

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I think that was what was in my mind. When I was a kid it was pretty much common knowledge that Elizabeth & Phillip had an arranged marriage & that he was not a devoted husband....in fact he was pretty much a playboy. Would he have married her otherwise?

I think it would be hard to be a powerful woman with a spouse who has no power at all, esp if you have doubts about whether he really wanted to marry you. On second thought, it wasn't any better when the man was the royal in the case of Charles & Diana. (It was pretty clear she was hand-picked & that both Charles & Diana talked themselves into "oh we're so in love" when they weren't in the least.)
    Well, common knowledge isn't always accurate, of course, otherwise the "virginity tests" that Diana supposedly underwent would have been true.

It has been written in several sources that the Queen had a crush on Philip from the time she was about 13. He didn't notice her, of course until much later, as he was a young naval cadet at the time. It certainly was not arranged- in fact her father , while not exactly opposing the match, certainly wanted to delay it a bit- he thought she was too young. Who supposedly did the arranging? Not his parents, as they were out of the picture. I'm sure Mountbatten (Philip's uncle) did some nudging, as was his wont, but he could hardly do more that encourage it- he was not exactly central to her side of the family at that time. Philip, being without much except a promising career (no money, coming from a broken family home of an exiled family) could hardly have done better, marriage-wise. But there is no evidence that they were not in love at the time.

As for his playboy ways- whatever he was before he married (and there is no long string of former lovers telling their tales), he has been utterly discreet during the marriage. He may or may not have had lovers, but the press hasn't been able to find any, and the gutter press has probably been looking.

His position has been a difficult one for an alpha male of his generation, but I think he and the Queen have somewhat worked it out- she lets him run the family in private, while she leads in the public role. I seems to work for them, and 60 years of an enduring marriage is quite an accomplishment.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    The length of their marriage is not proof. A divorce would have been unthinkable for them. I'm not saying either of them wanted one but I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money that Phillip hasn't always been a good boy.

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast