Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Shibs

vCash
    As a brother-sister team, they've been used to each other's character, personality, appearance for their lifetime, it would be very difficult to adjust to another partner. As it was written before, ice dancing is more than romance and lust on ice, we've meanwhile witnessed quite some successful siblings teams in this sport. I really find it annoying when these well-matched teams get constantly accused of being incestous. That's simply offensive. The Shibutanis look so nice together, they match perfectly, as other brother-sister teams did/do, and if they like skating together, they should be given any support to pursue their carreer together. As with any couple, it only works as long as both partners want the same. In their case, it seems like they work very well together.
    Last edited by Shyjosie; 12-06-2012 at 05:16 AM.

vCash
    Well, just want to say that I love Maia and Alex and wish them all the best.

vCash
    The brother-sister problem was elegantly and masterfully solved by Evgeny Platov for the Kerrs team. Shibutanis should go to him.

OTOH, I'm extremely grateful that Madison Hubbell got to skate with someone not her brother.

vCash
    Here's a concept that the Shibs could non romantically explore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Wj4...feature=g-high

vCash
    there's tons of non-romantic themes out there. even a/p's FD from 2002 could be done. something abstract, or maybe humanitarian causes or historical themes like pilgrims and such. they could completely do new age kind of music, just making shapes and forms to music like what v/m did with PF. i think the sibling's biggest challenge would be SDs that do require some romance/sensuality involved to get the nature of the dance such as tango/flamenco/rhumba/etc

they just need to work with a really committed coach with resources that can get them access to outside choreographers or trainers like people from cirque du soleil.

vCash
    They are easily some of the best writers and artists of Team USA!
    Last edited by jjane45; 12-06-2012 at 03:06 AM.

vCash
    Who else would they skate with who is as good as they are? I don't think they'd climb any higher in the world with any other partners. They would likely drop lower.

I think a choreographic change could do some good. No romantic stuff, but maybe making Maia look a bit more edgy. They could try something like "Night on Bald Mountain".. that doesn't have any romantic connotations, does it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I thin they are a young team that are developing. We have been spoiled in the last several years at the fast development of v/m and d/w.
    Interesting point that I agree with. The last Olympic cycle had so many unusual events take place amongst the top dancers that contributed to how v/m and d/w were able to make such rapid progress. Think about it ... Bulgarian World champions had to quit amidst the tragedy of a drunk-driving accident in which he/partner killed someone; the 2-time World silver medalist Canadians retired midway through the cycle; World champions from France suffered a freak shoulder injury (she/partner) during an exhibition, then she got pregnant which obviously interfered with their preparations for the Olympics; the Russian world champions from year 3 were competing with his knees barely able to handle the demands of the sport; the previous Olympic silver medalists from the US experienced a series of poorly timed injuries. Agosto's groin kept them out of US nationals and forced them to withdraw from the Grand Prix final.

Granted, during any season or cycle "unexpected" changes happen but I would have to think that having 5 gold or silver medalists from the major events essentially drop out or experience serious issues, was a PART of how both teams were able to ascend as rapidly as they did. Expecting this to be a "normal" trajectory for young teams is simply not ... "normal."

To be absolutely clear (before the usual knee-jerk pouncing that tends to occur on boards) I am NOT saying v/m and d/w did not earn their ultimate leadership positions given their talent and performances. Just pointing out that a lot of cards did get turned over in unexpected and favorable ways, and to measure other teams like the Shibs based on recent history is somewhat problematic.

In fact, the kind of results that the Shibs achieved their first year as seniors, ended up being the source of disadvantage for them in the seasons that have followed. Being the unexpected member of the first North American sweep of dance at Worlds, and in Moscow (to add insult to injury), could not have been a bigger source of "embarrassment" for the "establishments" in Russia and Europe. There was no question that they were going to be targets of unusual "scrutiny" at events leading up to an Olympics in Russia. In their case, the "chance" events have in contrast NOT been helpful in "smoothing a path" for them competitively.

The Shibs are still very young. I think they are still age-eligible for juniors! It will be something like the 2020 season before she is the current age of Meryl, Anna or Kaitlyn and another decade before she is even near to Nathalie's age. They are young, have many strong core skills. They are smart kids and well known for their hard work. I think it is reasonable to expect that they will continue to develop in many ways over time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    The brother-sister problem was elegantly and masterfully solved by Evgeny Platov for the Kerrs team. Shibutanis should go to him.

OTOH, I'm extremely grateful that Madison Hubbell got to skate with someone not her brother.
    I agree 100% would love to see them with Platov

vCash
    If creativity is what they need, I almost think they should leave Arctic Edge and take I-275 to I-696 and take Telegraph rd. to the Detroit Skating Club. Pasquale's wild imagination creates concepts that can barely be achieved LOL. Honestly, They would have to go non traditional in the choreography dept. It would be a new niche to be explored and original because few skaters are pushing the bounds with creativity baring the top Canadian's.

Whatever it takes, they are such kind people that I would want them to succeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Who else would they skate with who is as good as they are? I don't think they'd climb any higher in the world with any other partners. They would likely drop lower.
    Has any brother-sister team ever split up to skate with other partners? I can't name any. And if there is/are, did the new match become more successful?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Madison Hubbell went to her first Worlds last season with Zachary Donohue (ETA: in their first season together). Keiffer Hubbell will make his debut at 2013 Nationals with Anastasia Olson (she skated with an injury in their international debut at Ice Challenge last month).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-06-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    one interesting reverse case was tiffany steigler. she skated pairs with her brother and was on the cusp of their potential, but johnnie didnt want to pursue skating anymore and she grew so tall, so she transitioned into ice dancing. she wasnt as successful at it. if only she was paired with a very strong partner and had really good coaching

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Tiffany Stiegler was paired with a very strong partner, but it was too late. When interviewed after the switch, she said as a pair skater, she'd always been envious of the dancers and wished to be one. Unfortunately, she didn't pursue it in time.

The Duschenays won a world bronze, silver, and gold and an Olympic silver medal. When they did "West Side Story," they were Maria and Bernardo.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Tiffany Stiegler was paired with a very strong partner, but it was too late. When interviewed after the switch, she said as a pair skater, she'd always been envious of the dancers and wished to be one. Unfortunately, she didn't pursue it in time.

The Duschenays won a world bronze, silver, and gold and an Olympic silver medal. When they did "West Side Story," they were Maria and Bernardo.
    I didn't know about that partner change of Tiffany Stiegler's, and it's a pity she couldn't succeed more in ice dancing any more, obviously she would have liked to be an ice dancer. How old was she? Normally, ice dancers experience the height of their carreer later in life than pairs skaters.

The Duchesnay's are my favourite brother-sister team ever, partly because they always stated that they would never skate with anyone else. They had also changed from pairs skating to ice dancing after a serious accident (apart from that Isabelle had become too tall for pairs). West Side Story was a rather strange thing, considering that Maria and Bernardo don't appear together in the musical/stageplay/book (when they skated it at the '92 Olympics, the commentators had to explain to the TV spectators who they were portraying, because everyone is used to the Maria-Tony-relation), but the Duchesnays would have been the perfect cast for these roles, had it been a show on ice. Their other programmes ("Missing" about the disappearance of people under dictatorship, "Reflections" about one person examining themself in a mirror and questioning their identity, "Savage Rites" about two people facing the dangers of the jungle) are interesting examples of non-romantic themes in ice dancing.
    There's such a variety of themes which don't suggest romance, the Shibutanis don't have to fear that they are anyhow limited in their expression.

vCash
    They need to go to a technique coach.
    IMO, their skating skills/basics are not WOW. I always thought of their skills to be a lot closer to their teammates Davis/White, rather than I/K or V/M. Actually, I find them a lot more like an elegant, quieter version of Davis/White.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    They need to go to a technique coach.
    IMO, their skating skills/basics are not WOW. I always thought of their skills to be a lot closer to their teammates Davis/White, rather than I/K or V/M. Actually, I find them a lot more like an elegant, quieter version of Davis/White.
    that's one apt description

vCash
    I find them a lot more like an elegant, quieter version of Davis/White.
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    that's one apt description
    I disagree. I find them to be a non-romantic version of Virtue and Moir. Same emphasis on lines and sustained edging and positions.

vCash
    What the heck? They're among the best, most skilled technicians out there. What they need, apart from a respite from the anti-NA backlash, is greater emotional depth in their skating. Which is highly attainable, as others have already pointed it with the Duchesnays and even Kerrs.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    There will be a LIVE chat with the "Shib Sibs" on Tuesday, December 11 at 3:30pm EST on the Official Facebook page of the U.S. Olympic Committee: https://www.facebook.com/events/175255905954507/

Alex also tweeted today that he and Maia "will be taping a segment for the @todayshow on Wed. (10 am) at Rockefeller Center that will air on Christmas morning!"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast